First BCD: an embarras du choix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This may just be folk lore but my understanding of the history behind the STA is as follows:

As indicated in other responses, early back plates and wings did not have cam strap slots cut into them as they were orginally designed to support a double tank setup. Lamar Hires' (owner of Dive Rite) wife wanted to try using a plate but wanted to dive with a single tank. Lamar took a backplate and cut out the center section, flipped it over and bolted it to another back plate while sandwhiching a pair of cam straps between the plate/wing and the cut out center section, and thus the STA was born.

Fast forward a few years and slots began being milled into plates and designed into wings for camstraps specifically so they could be used for single tank diving, but divers being a bunch frugal b@st@rds did not want to own 2 plates, one for single tank diving, and another for doubles, and threading cam straps in and out of plates and wings proved to be cumbersome, so that cut out center section found its use as means to quickly and easily convert a BP/W setup between single and doubles configuration.

It was never meant to be "roll control" for single tank bp/w setup....the fact that it offers that is a bonus, but at the cost of moving the tank further away from the diver's back.

Some of us swear that it is necessary for single tank setup. Some of us find we don't need it. Some of swear that some form of "roll control" is absolutely necessary, and some of us have never had a problem without any.

-Z

I have a standard backplate — actually two, one stainless steel the other aluminium — to which is threaded a one piece harness.

I have two wings; a Halcyon Evolve 40 pound (18kg) doughnut doubles wing and a Halcyon Eclipse 30 pound (14kg) doughnut single wing. Neither have cam band slots. These wings are some of the best you can buy.

I have a simple single tank adapter for use with the single wing. This is trivial to attach using the two bolts with wing nuts. The "U" channel stainless adapter is lightweight (especially if the cam bands aren’t included).

I have three Velcro closing weight pouches threaded on the cam bands. I'll use the appropriate weight from the dive shop/boat, 1kg/2pound if warm with no wetsuit, or more if using a wetsuit.

Horses for courses.

This was serendipitously posted in another thread. It's the same wing as the closeup in my previous post, but rigged with an STA (and trim pockets on the lower band in case extra weight is needed).

... a conventional STA also [with] double bands
da105771-cbd2-408b-8f68-507c676cc9c6-jpeg.773867

Did some dives, and I'm going to purchase an XDEEP Zen BP/W with weight pockets :) it just feels right, intuitive, nice fitting. I guess the more backwards-drifted air distribution in the bladder helps for my heavy hips/legs.

So you've abandoned the 'standard parts' approach then...

The backlplate itself would be the only part I would definitely get in a standard version. Switching out harness options, wings, attached pockets, padding - those would be the variables for me. The backplate I would get standard though, so all these parts, whatever the brand, would fit on there. But that's just me, of course.

I never ran into issues with compability with my Zen Backplate. About the harness, the only difference to DIR is the additional loop in the lower edges to get the waistband a bit higher. And I like the V-shaped crotchstrap.

I would probably be just as happy with Finnsub or Tecline but the Zen has a great price performance, ~USD 540/€ 500 here in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom