Which xDeep model and which wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you mean with doubles? A singles wing will not achieve most of its rated lift when used with doubles. (Much of it is squashed between the tanks and plate.)
I mean stages

What's your reasoning for wanting to get into SM "soon"?

Hey Inquisit. Thanks for all your comments. So, to answer your question - on a few of my dive trips, I've noticed a few divers dive with a single tank sidemounted. Not entirely sure, but I believe most of them come with cave experience in Mexico. They just looked, for lack of a better descriptor - very free - underwater. I'm quite keen to give that configuration a try. Also, when it comes to diving, I consider myself to be an enthusiastic student. Super keen to learn as many techniques, and skills, as I can.

Furthermore, in a discussion with another Mexican cave diver, on my aspirations for tech, he was quite emphatic on how sidemount would be far more convenient for me than backmounted doubles. So it's something I'd love to try out at the very least learn, to see how it suits me.

Finally, since all my diving requires flights, I would love the option to pack light. From what I understand, SM offers that. But for the time being, since all of my dives have been on a traditional jacket, and I am looking to make my first purchases, I figured it would make the most sense to add a BP/W to my collection, and hence this thread.

My advice is to try it before buy, especially if you go with the zen.

I have very similar dive conditions to you, and am also 6foot. I Ve dived on a good number of bcd, and I just hate diving with the zen.

To put it simply, a lot of the boyancy is on the a**. As soon as I start diving a slightly heavy configuration, I m in for a struggle.

But of course some people live it, so better try before buy

Furthermore, in a discussion with another Mexican cave diver, on my aspirations for tech, he was quite emphatic on how sidemount would be far more convenient for me than backmounted doubles
Depends on what you mean by "tech", I guess. Three deco/stage bottles is certainly doable in sidemount (and you should probably be on a rebreather if you need more than that), but it's not as nice as with backmount. Most would say SM from a boat (i.e., wrecks) is also less desirable, but others -- admittedly, very skilled SM divers -- argue they have no issues. If you had knee/back issues, that might sway you right now.

You're at a cross-roads with pros and cons to each. My main point asking about SM is that it is incompatible with your desire to do Fundies, but that's hardly the end of the world. When faced with the same question, I chose to pursue BM first. There is a lot of cave to see that doesn't need SM, and I also like wrecks. But SM is likely down the road for me (although, I may jump to a rebreather, dunno).

Ideally, you'll be an expert at both eventually and use the one best suited to the dive. It's just a question of which do you tackle first. :crafty: Best of luck in your choice!

Finally, since all my diving requires flights, I would love the option to pack light.
My BM tech setup, including drysuit, fits in one checked bag (under 50 lb), one roller carry-on (drysuit), and one under-seat daypack. The aluminum BP/W is almost negligible compared to the rest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom