Would you use Air Integration without a SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would, but my diving rarely exceeds 30' these days, so I could do that without either I suppose. If I were diving deep I wouldn't use just AI because of my old guy mental attitude-- If it isn't connected the technology could crap out, just like a computer does occasionally. I know that an SPG can crap out too and had that happen once when it got stuck on 1000 PSI. But, that's my mental approach anyway.

I've heard only two real valid reasons in my short diving history for having to keep an SPG.
  1. The first was from my tech instructor. In a rescue situation with an unresponsive diver, if the diver doesn't have SPG, it's very difficult to fuss with their computer to work out how much gas they have... especially if it is an unfamiliar computer. If they have an SPG, you immediately recognize it and can see how much gas they have.
  2. The second is your budget!!! If diving 3 or 4 tanks, transmitters are a lot more expensive than SPGs!!
Personally on Twins or Sidemount, I have two transmitters and two computers for redundancy (both computers paired to both transmitters)... especially when with my regular buddy who has matching setup.
For classes or tech diving with unfamiliar teammates, I always add the SPG for the benefit of my team members. When Rec diving 60 - 130' off a boat in the Caribbean on a single tank.... just a single transmitter and a single computer is fine by me.

I really think it comes down to the type of diving you are doing... Tech vs. Rec, Solo vs. Team and you need to choose what's right for you and that dive situation. And don't forget, if doing a tech dive, if your transmitter fails... you probably can't just call the dive and head to the surface, you may be stuck underwater for a while yet!

That said, in 3 years of diving, I have had 2x SPGs fail on me and zero failures of my transmitters!

...That said, in 3 years of diving, I have had 2x SPGs fail on me and zero failures of my transmitters!
In 12 years and over 1700 dives, I have had 2 transmitter failures Would you use Air Integration without a SPG

I have had 2 minor SPG leaks, fixed with spool replacement, carry them in my save a dive kit

Yes I would.
People here have repeatedly hammered in the fact that computers are far superior to any other device so far and never fail. According to them spools can blow out on standard SPG’s, SPG’s can get stuck and be inaccurate, your brain can fail, but computers and technology are perfect.
So I’m just going to take their word for it and say yes, even though I don’t have AI and probably never will.
If you read it on scubaboard it must be true!

Curious why not?
Been over this on other threads.
Beyond the obvious peace of mind redundancy can give I have geologically induced connectivity issues where I shore dive at home (the rock that forms the Canadian Shield interferes with transmissions) . Quite often the sender will fail to connect to the computer until a few minutes into the dive. Don't like that.

On a personal note I'm also training myself out of PSI over to BAR. I run a BAR SPG and PSI on my computer, slowly getting used to it.

Been over this on other threads.
Beyond the obvious peace of mind redundancy can give I have geologically induced connectivity issues where I shore dive at home (the rock that forms the Canadian Shield interferes with transmissions) . Quite often the sender will fail to connect to the computer until a few minutes into the dive. Don't like that.

On a personal note I'm also training myself out of PSI over to BAR. I run a BAR SPG and PSI on my computer, slowly getting used to it.
I thought your "I wouldn't" referred to the use of a splitter.

Out of curiosity, for those with 2 HP ports, how would you feel about adding a second AI transmitter rather than an SPG? Obviously there's still the same failure point of your computer (but if that dies, the dive is over anyway), but has the advantage of being way more compact/improving in-water resistance.

I like my SPG. I have a bottom timer on my other wrist so as long as I have gas the dive isn't over. Plus I already own a bunch of them so it's cheaper than buying another transmitter.

Back
Top Bottom