Would you use Air Integration without a SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpaceCased

Registered
Reaction score
So I have a first stage with only 1 HP port. I have a Spg and I have a dive computer with air integration. Would you ever consid recreational diving with just air integration? If not, why? Are air integrations not that trustworthy? I would think if it stopped showing tank pressure I would just end the dive and start my ascent. Am I overlooking something? Opinions?

The transmitters are not all equal, but those from Shearwater and PPS (Oceanic, AquaLung, Tusa, Setc) seem very reliable. Many of us dive without an SPG, just the AI. As you say, if you suddently don't know your pressure, you just surface. You can also get adapters to give you two HP ports.

The transmitters are not all equal, but those from Shearwater and PPS (Oceanic, AquaLung, Tusa, Setc) seem very reliable. Many of us dive without an SPG, just the AI. As you say, if you suddently don't know your pressure, you just surface. You can also get adapters to give you two HP ports.
Any thoughts on the Scubapro G2 transmitter reliability?

If you're in the middle of a rec dive and your transmitter/SPG fails, are you gonna die? No, you just bail out, go back to the truck/boat, attach the spare, and try to avoid getting a sunburn before the next dive.

That being said, since my 1st stage has two HP ports, I use a transmitter on 1 and an SPG on the other. And throughout the dive, I like to compare them a few times. I don't feel particularly strongly about it though, and wouldn't think twice about lending my SPG to another diver if they showed up with a broken one.

Before AI, I didn't carry 2 SPGs. I don't see the need for redundancy beyond having a backup on the boat so I don't miss dive #2 on the off chance of a failure. Others prefer not to even abort dive #1. You make the call.

I agree with the replies so far. Everyone I know who has used AI for long enough seems to trust it and have no problems. If there's a problem, you can always surface safely.

The real downside I can think of would be you can't really loan your regs, without loaning your computer. I borrowed an AI reg-set once for a very, very short dive and it make me nervous as hell. You could always carry an SPG in your save-a-dive kit, and swap it, it doesn't take long, if you ever anticipate loaning equipment (I only do that with cheap equipment, or for close-friends).

I have some AI transmitters I haven't used yet, but my plan is to install these since I have 2x ports. It makes it a little faster/easier to check tank-pressure without having to check it with your dive-computer.

I dive SM with two AI transmitters on each tank, never had an issue, at most sometimes they getting disconnected and i bring my arm closer to transmitters and we are back in the game.

But i also keep SPG in the dive bag at the boat, just in case.

Opinions?
Carry an SPG and hose in your "save your dive kit"

I personally don't use AI but still have a spare SPG in my kit, well actually a spare regulator set, but I know that not everyone can afford to do that.

Carry a few small tools that can assist in changing hoses or blanking ports is also useful, don't always rely on a dive boat to have these handy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom