Question Would there be issues servicing a Japanese-made dry suit in the US or Canada?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacDuyver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Thanks to another thread, I'm looking to take the plunge into dry suit diving this winter.
The Dollar is really strong against the Yen, so I'm trying to get this from a Japanese vendor if I can.

Looking around, I'm interested in a few that are Japanese made, and the prices are very competitive.

I've never bought a drysuit before, but I'm starting to think down the road, a couple years from now when I'm in Seattle.

What kind of maintenance should I expect to do annually on it?

Do I have to take a dry suit to a tech to get it serviced, or is it something I can do myself?

Looking at the pictures and promo materials, it looks like the covers just pop off and expose the valve and spring. Are drysuit valves specialized things, or are they more something any decent tech would be able to service?

Are they comparable to Seaskin? Fully custom and fully loaded for about $1500... most independent shops that offer drysuit repair can work on any suit provided you're not concerned with warranties from the oem. There are also shops that you can ship your suit to in the states for repair if needed.

Think of it more along the line as, maintenance and repair as there really isn’t and “service” required.

my last Seaskin arrived at $950 and I do add quite a few accessories but nothing unnecessary, if you get something like sitech valves and seal systems you’ll be good to go just about anywhere for repair.

Serviceable parts are usually valves and they are usually produced by global brands such as apeks, si tech.. So there is not much to worry about the service, any tech can do it. Mobbys is a Japanese brand, suits I have seen so far had good workmanship. If I am not mistaken, they also make suits for Mares. As long as it fits and has the features you want mij is not at all a bad thing.

if you get wrist/neck user replaceable seals, you pretty much can do the normal maintenance yourself.

non-warranty service shouldn't be an issue as a good drysuit repair outfit can still work it if you need new neoprene socks or a zipper replacement.

the caveat is if it fails prematurely and you need warranty service, you would have to send it back to japan vs if you got something with a local dealer that you can go through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom