Sanity check on Seaskin options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jersey1971

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone,
After doing a November NJ wreck dive in a wet suit, I've decided to get my first dry suit. I'm looking at a Seaskin Nova. I plan to use it for 3 season wreck diving in 40s to 60s water in New Jersey. I've never dove with a dive suit but have been doing a lot of reading and plan to take a course when I actually receive the suit. Could I ask experienced members if the following options, and the reasoning behind, them make sense?

* Telescopic torso: seems to be a consensus on this board that it makes donning a lot easier
* No pee valves/zips. I'll be doing 30-40 min boat dives, and I'm hoping with the telescopic torso, I can pull down the top relatively easily between dives
* Siflex Orust neck and quick seal wrists. I went back and forth on the Orust vs. Quick Neck, and am attracted by the easier, tool-free replacement on the Orust. I see that I can get replacement clips, so would keep a few in my Save a Dive kit. One important question: are the replacement seals interchangeable between systems? I don't see Orust specific seals for sale. The ones I see online are often advertised as for the older Neck Tite system. No immediate plans to go with a dry glove system, but I figure with the quick seal wrists, I can always upgrade
* Neoprene socks. I like the ability to turn inside out for cleaning and drying and the more compact folding for travel, as well as the ability to change shoes depending on environment. For the time being, I will probably buy inexpensive REI boots mentioned elsewhere on this forum instead of dedicated rock boots
* One thigh pocket with zipper. Figure zipper is more durable than velcro. Would mount on my left thigh, to offset the zip bag I wear on the right waist strap of my BP/W system.

And finally, I'm leaning toward buying the thinsulate undergarment. I see lots of criticism about the lack of launderability, but $150 for a custom garment seems pretty good, and I hope that it will last at least a few washes, which will last me a long time, given maybe 8-10 dives a year. Does anyone feel that I'll eventually just need to buy a high tech $400 undergarment so better to take the plunge now?

Thanks for any advice or comments, and apologies in advance for the fact that some of these are likely repetitive questions/debates. I've spent dozens of hours scouring the board, but I'm sure I missed some things that are already out there.

I’d get a p-valve, if only to have the optionality later on.

I prefer Kubi over the other systems mentioned for wrist seals.

Two thigh pockets, as adding one later will be more expensive.

The clips on the neck seal are a pain in the ass, especially on a boat. A tool is not necessary for the yellow circular ring style system, and it’s quick enough that you can probably not sit the dive out if you rip a seal whilst gearing up.

The Velcro is fairly resilient and unless they’ve changed, allows for the larger pockets.

I’ve never used the orust after planing to I decided to go with the regular quick neck, they supply the tool to install the seal so it’s easy enough either way.

get a pee valve (I use the trigon) even if you don’t hook it up it is there if you want to.

I got the telescoping on this new suit, wasn’t an option when I bought my first, it make the suit look better but no real difference in use between it and to duck tail.

yes on socks.

I don’t like thinsulate, every time I try it I get rid of it and go back to layered wool and fleece. Layer normal stuff that you may already have.

i prefer a zipper pocket and I have one on the right, never found a need for a second but now is the time to add it.

the oval wrist system gives you many options for dry gloves, I prefer RoLock.

Quick neck, not the stupid clips.
Pee-valve now (unbalanced trigon). If you don't use it right away it isn't a problem but you can use it later.
Get 2 thigh pockets, you'll use them
Kubi
DIR dump valve location
Zip covers

I ordered their base layer, 150g & 250g undergarments with pee valve slot. Custom cut for your measurements.

DIR dump valve location
I forget, which dump valve location is DIR again? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each location?

I bought my suit used, but when it quits I want to have it's replacement all planned out. Though, at the rate it is going now, that might be never. I bought it 2 years ago, it was born in Oct. 2000, over 75 dives by me on it, and not a single problem.

Quick neck, not the stupid clips.
Pee-valve now (unbalanced trigon). If you don't use it right away it isn't a problem but you can use it later.
Get 2 thigh pockets, you'll use them
Kubi
DIR dump valve location

Zip covers

I ordered their base layer, 150g & 250g undergarments with pee valve slot. Custom cut for your measurements.
What are the advantages of the Kubi over the standard Si Tech wrist seals? It's about a 110 pound difference in price....

I hadn't even thought about the pee valve.... Maybe subsonsciously just didn't want to think through the um..logistics. But it makes a lot of sense, esp. since I am interested in ultimately exploring tech diving

There are 9 pages of discussion here. I wanted rock solid performance and was willing to pay for it. This was especially true since I was saving almost 2k compared to the big name as such as Santi and DUI. You'll also need to purchase the glove side of things with kubi.

There is something about diving that makes my bladder go from being 37 yr old make to that of a little girl who just drank too much kool-aid. Once I'm out of the water I need to go. Pee valve for me will make even my 45 min dives more pleasant.

There are 9 pages of discussion here. I wanted rock solid performance and was willing to pay for it. This was especially true since I was saving almost 2k compared to the big name as such as Santi and DUI. You'll also need to purchase the glove side of things with kubi.

There is something about diving that makes my bladder go from being 37 yr old make to that of a little girl who just drank too much kool-aid. Once I'm out of the water I need to go. Pee valve for me will make even my 45 min dives more pleasant.
RoLock and ultima are rock solid too.

Another vote for the p valve. I can't imagine diving dry without one now. They're the best. I wish my car had one for road trips.

Pockets are great, too. I got the large bellows (x2) and wished I had gone with the expedition (past tense because I switched to sidemount and don't really use the pockets anymore). Velcro on mine is still going strong after three-ish years.

Get the P valve. If you are properly hydrated, as you should be, you'll need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom