Will PADI recognize specialities from other C-agencies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI's policy is very clear as outlined on the application, you can have your AOW or Rescue from other agencies but not the specialties.

I just submitted a students application for MSD. I have not had too many students apply, but those that did have been very competent and active divers. In my opinion there is no ambiguity on what you get when you apply and like Andy said there currently is no cert fee here in Asia.

Cheers,

PADI's policy is also outlined in the current Instructor Manual, you can't have your AOW or Rescue from other agencies.

As I said earlier - this needs to either be confirmed by instructors on a regional basis or by the students themselves to PADI directly. Students should be able to see that even the instructors are being forced into an interpretation of differing standards and thus, may be given a different answer depending on what dive centre they walk into.

Last edited:
PADI's policy is also outlined in the current Instructor Manual, you can't have your AOW or Rescue from other agencies.

As I said earlier - this needs to either be confirmed by instructors on a regional basis or by the students themselves to PADI directly. Students should be able to see that even the instructors are being forced into an interpretation of differing standards and thus, may be given a different answer depending on what dive centre they walk into.

The training consultant I spoke with pointed first to the MSD section (the part you've been quoting) and then to the GSP, to the "qualifying certification description."

I think you're being rigid. Unless one believes that AOW and Rescue ARE specialty certifications (do you?) then I think that the manual is clear, and is in sync with the application.

Have you called your PADI office to confirm? I know you recently had an application that you think definitively supports your view, but I'm curious if you've actually asked the question that the OP asked. In the email exchange you posted it seemed that you hadn't.

kari

Manual says "PADI Rescue Diver" and "PADI Advanced Open Water Diver".

Please tell me what elements of those statements indicate that alternative qualifications are accepted?

There are more statements that inform this whole process, Andy.

Like the part where it says "you may accept divers with certifications through other training organizations..."

and the part where it says "Specialty diver certifications must be PADI - no other certifications qualify."

Again, have you called your PADI office to confirm?

Andy,

Instructor Manual, General Standards and Procedures?

Prerequisite Certifications
Continuing education courses have PADI, DSAT or EFR certification prerequisites.

You may accept divers with certifications through other training organizations into a PADI course using this general guideline, and after conducting a knowledge and skill preassessment.

4. PADI Advanced Open Water Diver — proof of certification beyond entry-level (at least two certifications total); proof of 20 or more logged dives; documented experience in deep diving and underwater navigation.
5. PADI Rescue Diver — proof of certification in diving rescue.

I just looked here: Master Scuba Diver Rating Courses - Advanced Open Water Diving - PADI Scuba Dive Training Organization
Prerequisites
  • 12 years old
  • PADI Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization)
  • PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization)
  • PADI Rescue Diver or Junior Rescue Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization)
  • Minimum of five PADI Specialty Diver courses
  • Minimum of 50 logged dives
I'm not an instructor, nor do I have the instructor manual, but this looks fairly spelled out to me, only the specialties need to be padi.

@ Hawkwood: I understand the GSP relevance to attending courses. I didn't believe the MSD rating reflected that, as it isn't a course. Naturally, PADI are going to accept alternative qualifications when the other option is to otherwise lose students from the system. MSD is a rating 'kinda' recognises participation in the PADI program though.

@ Oreocookie: That's a good reference and probably answers the questions. Silly of us (instructors) to look in our manuals and expect a clearer answer from that source. The manual can require a lot of interpretation (it's one of the things were tested on in training - finding 'answers' in the manual)... and in this case, the 'right' answer required multiple references in disparate sections of the book along with some picking and choosing of selective advice. In short, instructors can get it wrong. :D

To get back to the OP and his question about what the next logical step might be. One answer was just plain more diving, but there may be other options if training is desired. The first thing I would suggest is to look at training for specialties that may help you in your diving. Just look at those specialties for what they are worth. If you find some you really like, and if you take enough to get a MSD certification, that might be a pleasant by-product.

You may also find that there are specialties taught near you that are not listed on the official PADI web site. These are called Distinctive Specialties, and they are created by individual instructors and sometimes by groups of instructors. They can be quite a bit more valuable than the typical specialty. A number of instructors around the world (not sure how many) are teaching a specialty in Dive Planning that is quite comprehensive and teaches a lot of valuable skills not found in the normal recreational program. One of the instructors active on this thread teaches a course called Intro To Tech, and he has a tech/rec workshop that is also very valuable. Believe it or not, several instructors in Florida offer a PADI Distinctive Specialty called Cave Diver, and it is the equivalent level of certification (and requiring the same level of training and skill) as a typical full cave diver course from a cave diving agency. Check around locally to see if something like those is being offered.

By the way, I am a MADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer who is a certified cave diver and a certified advanced trimix diver. I teach about a dozen specialties. I do not, however, qualify for the PADI Master Scuba Diver rating because I do not have 5 specialties myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom