Will PADI recognize specialities from other C-agencies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to the version I have of the application, neither AOW nor Rescue need to be PADI, just the five specialties. Do I have an old version? I'm looking at 2.09, dated 2009.

From the 2011 Instructor Manual:

Certification Requirements:

• 12 years old
Note: 12-14 year old divers may earn Junior Master Scuba Diver certifications.

• Certified as a PADI (Junior) Advanced Open Water Diver, a PADI (Junior) Rescue Diver, and certification in five PADI Specialty courses.
Note: Specialty diver certifications must be PADI – no other certifications qualify.

• Logged 50 dives

Right. So it's just the SPECIALTY certs that must be PADI. The AOW and Rescue can be "qualifying certifications from another agency" as per the application form.

No..

"Certified as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver, a PADI Rescue Diver, and certification in five PADI Specialty courses.
Note: Specialty diver certifications must be PADI – no other certifications qualify."

Last edited:
Well, it seems to say that the specialty certs must be PADI. AOW and Rescue are not specialty certifications. And it says this on the application:

"To attain this rating a diver must be a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver and PADI Rescue Diver (or hold qualifying certifications from another organization) with proof of 50 logged dives, and must hold certifications in any five PADI Specialty courses."

Bold emphasis added by me.

So, unless it's different in your region, or (as I originally asked) if I have an outdated version of the application, I think you're just mistaken.

kari

p.s. I'm going now to check if I can find a more recent version of the MSD application to support your view.

------

I'm back - the version I have is the same as on the PADI website, and includes the bit above, as well as line items for details of the certs for AOW and RD from other organizations.

Perhaps this is a regional difference.

Last edited:
Am I missing something here? to get AOW is 4 specialties and Master is 5 so can't Sinbad just go through search and rescue from whomever gave him AOW which appears to be SSI or PADI and be done with it?

Well, it seems to say that the specialty certs must be PADI. AOW and Rescue are not specialty certifications. And it says this on the application:

How did you fare on your standards exam? :wink:

That's a direct quote from the latest/current PADI manual. I can substantiate it from personal experience, having processed an MSD application to PADI just before Christmas. The student's MSD app hit their desk before his Rescue PIC did... so they contacted me to enquire where his rescue was, before processing. ... because it wasn't (yet) listed on his PADI certification records.

This is what is written on the current MSD Application form... shockingly it is identical to the instructions given in the latest edition of the instructor manual!!...

The PADI Master Scuba Diver rating is the highest nonprofessional rating in the PADI System; it is a diver class i fi ca tion that denotes superior achievement.

To attain this rating, a diver must be a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver and PADI Rescue Diver (or hold qualifying certifications from another organization) with proof of 50 logged dives, and must hold certifications in any five PADI Specialty courses.

Please....let's not confuse the innocent divers any more....

Am I missing something here?

Yes... you are missing the difference between two entirely different agencies and their respective syllabus.

to get AOW is 4 specialties

PADI AOW is 5 adventure dives, plus corresponding knowledge reviews... not specialities.

SSI AOW consists of speciality courses, it is irrelevant for the purposes of gaining a PADI MSD card.

SSI and PADI are different agencies, with different course structure and different course names. The SSI AOW is not the same thing as the PADI AOW.

PADI MSD application requires all stated prerequisite courses to have been completed with PADI. End of story.

Someone needs to update their standards. Here it is again from another poster:

Course Standards
The Master Scuba Diver rating is the highest recreational diver
rating in the PADI System, and denotes a diver with superior
experience and achievement.
Certifi cation Requirements
• 12 years old
Note: 12-14 year old divers may earn Junior Master Scuba Diver
certifi cations.
• Certifi ed as a PADI (Junior) Advanced Open Water
Diver, a PADI (Junior) Rescue Diver, and certifi cation
in fi ve PADI Specialty courses.
Note: Specialty diver certifi cations must be PADI – no other certifi cations
qualify.
• Logged 50 dives

How did you fare on your standards exam? :wink:

I feel like I'm being called out on this, so I'm going to keep pressing on.

I'd appreciate it if you'd go find a copy of the application. Look on the second page. See where it says "PADI Advanced Open Water certification and PADI Rescue Diver certification are required for Master Scuba Diver. If you are submitting qualifying certifications from another organization, you must attach photocopies of the certifications."

Again, the bold emphasis is added by me.

Is it possible that since your student's MSD app "hit their desk" and had no such photocopy attached to it, there was an implicit assumption that therefore, the Rescue cert was PADI? Having nothing whatsoever to do with saying IT MUST BE SO?

kari

btw, I'm not sure why this is, but @DevonDiver, if I press "reply with quote" on your post, there's some text (perhaps sarcastic, not sure due to internet translation) that does not appear in the version I see on my screen. I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just trying to see where it is that our difference comes from. for whatever that's worth.

Back
Top Bottom