Will PADI recognize specialities from other C-agencies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By the way, I am a MADI (I assume you meant PADI) Master Scuba Diver Trainer who is a certified cave diver and a certified advanced trimix diver. I teach about a dozen specialties. I do not, however, qualify for the PADI Master Scuba Diver rating because I do not have 5 specialties myself.

John, I have to admit I am a bit at loss with that part of your statement. These are the prerequisites to become a PADI MSDT (from the PADI website):
To qualify as a PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, you must
Be a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor
Have five PADI Specialty Instructor certifications Have certified at least 25 PADI Divers

When referring to the PADI Go PRO What You Can Teach table, it states that a MSDT can teach Specialty Courses for which he/she has Qualification.

Therefore, I find it very interesting that while you can teach a dozen specialties under the umbrella of PADI, the same organization does not recognize said qualifications toward a Master Scuba Diver even if philosophically speaking, some of those qualifications might have been obtained through a different agency.

Last edited:
He was probably a crossover at the pro level and never had the 5 specialties from PADI. That is one possibility

He was probably a crossover at the pro level and never had the 5 specialties from PADI. That is one possibility

Concur, but one would think that if an agency would recognize such quals for you to teach them under its umbrella, it would also recognize them internally for something like Master Scuba Diver...not that it really matters for him but still.

John, I have to admit I am a bit at loss with that part of your statement. These are the prerequisites to become a PADI MSDT (from the PADI website):
To qualify as a PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, you must
Be a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor
Have five PADI Specialty Instructor certifications Have certified at least 25 PADI Divers

When referring to the PADI Go PRO What You Can Teach table, it states that a MSDT can teach Specialty Courses for which he/she has Qualification.

Therefore, I find it very interesting that while you can teach a dozen specialties under the umbrella of PADI, the same organization does not recognize said qualifications toward a Master Scuba Diver even if philosophically speaking, some of those might be qualifications might have been obtained through a different agency.
An Instructor can take an MSDT "course" from a CD and recieve the MSDT rating without having the specialty as a diver.

Like John I am a PADI MSDT and "certified" (note, I specifically did not say qualified :wink: ) to teach a number of specialties, some of which I never took as a specialty course. For example, I can certified to teach the Drift Diving Specialty because I had issued 25 certifications and had done at least 20 drift dives so I was able to "self-certify." If I am not mistaken, there are only two PADI Specialties that require us (PADI Instructors) to be certified in the "specialty" before we can be certified to TEACH the specialty -- Nitrox and Cavern.

That may be a bit crazy but that's the way it is. OTOH, who is better prepared to teach a specialty, someone who has taken a (one day?) class in how to teach the specialty or someone who has real life experience (and experiences) in actually DOING those dives? YMMV

BTW, I do have sufficient PADI specialty certs to get my Master Scuba Diver Card but I never could come up with a reason to do so, even if it were free (which it is not).

That may be a bit crazy but that's the way it is. OTOH, who is better prepared to teach a specialty, someone who has taken a (one day?) class in how to teach the specialty or someone who has real life experience (and experiences) in actually DOING those dives? YMMV

Thanks Peter for the explanation. Wrt the quote, preaching to the choir (speaking for myself)...lol.

(quoting myself)
If I am not mistaken, there are only two PADI Specialties
Another member sent me a PM describing in oh so many ways how I WAS mistaken! There are several other Specialties that require a cert in the specialty.

(quoting myself)
Another member sent me a PM describing in oh so many ways how I WAS mistaken! There are several other Specialties that require a cert in the specialty.
How many? Not specialties, but how many ways you were mistaken. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom