Will PADI recognize specialities from other C-agencies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello -

I wanted to get the Master Scuba diver Certification but my Nitrox and Drysuit Specialties are from SDI. Would they be counted towards the 5 specialties needed for MSD?

Thanks -

Sinbad

Thanks Jim. I dont want to stick with SDI because all my other specialties are PADI. Why do I want the Master Certification? Because it is the next logical step in diving progression isnt it?

Just to clarify, the MSD isn't a certification in the true sense of the word. It is a rating.

Don't be put off by nay-sayers about the MSD. If you want it, go for it

Thanks Jim. I dont want to stick with SDI because all my other specialties are PADI. Why do I want the Master Certification? Because it is the next logical step in diving progression isnt it?
No, it is neither a step, nor is it logical.
Just to clarify, the MSD isn't a certification in the true sense of the word. It is a rating.
It is not even a rating, it is simply a recognition program.
Don't be put off by nay-sayers about the MSD. If you want it, go for it
Go for it, but do recognize that the nay-sayers will universally think you silly.

MSD is not a course... It is just a c-card that says "I did rescue and 5 specialties". All you have to do is pay for the card. Personally i would just spend that money on some more diving or another course that actually does teach you someting. Any DAN course would have my preference...

Nice to see that this place hasn't changed in the new year.

OP asks a question, the question gets answered.

Then, "oh you don't want to do that, you want to do this" or, "why are you bothering doing that". OP's choice guys.

Incidentally Thal, it is a rating, maybe not according to you, but according to the issuing organisation

All you have to do is pay for the card.

It's free (again) in PADI Asia-Pacific region. I just got confirmation from PADI office. :D

It'd be nice if all PADI regions offered it for free - then it'd truly be a 'reward' for the loyalty (and money) that the diver has committed to PADI.

And the next logical progression in diving is to just dive and perfect as much as possible the skills and knowledge you gained in doing those different specialties and then decide if you want to go for some type of professional rating. Or take an actual Master Diver course that covers new ground and imparts instructor level knowledge and requires instructor level skills. It just does not include the how to teach others component. At least two agencies offer such a course.

It's free (again) in PADI Asia-Pacific region. I just got confirmation from PADI office. :D

It'd be nice if all PADI regions offered it for free - then it'd truly be a 'reward' for the loyalty (and money) that the diver has committed to PADI.

I agree 100 percent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom