Will PADI recognize specialities from other C-agencies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And the next logical progression in diving is to just dive and perfect as much as possible the skills and knowledge you gained in doing those different specialties and then decide if you want to go for some type of professional rating. Or take an actual Master Diver course that covers new ground and imparts instructor level knowledge and requires instructor level skills. It just does not include the how to teach others component. At least two agencies offer such a course.

Agreed Jim... you can't replace actual diving as the perfect vehicle for translating taught skills into ingrained responses. Most divers see a training course as an end-result in regards to skill development, wheras in truth, it's merely an introduction to the skills needed - the hard work in developing those lessons into useful components within your overall skillset only begins after the course ends.

There's a lot of room for some genuinely 'advanced' recreational development within the syllabus of most major agencies. I've introduced the concept of 'workshops' this year - a more consultative and flexible way to work with divers to improve their all-round and specific skill-sets, in addition to developing their comfort levels through progressively more demanding diving activities. I've been very happy with the uptake... despite my initial pessimism that there'd be a lack of interest because you don't get a shiny card at the end of it. :D

I have bee doing workshops since I became an instructor. Buoyancy and trim usually do not need a full course and what operator or resort gives a rats butt about a peak buoyancy card? The only one who benefits from that is the agency and shop. Teach the same course with your own materials, don't issue a card, and charge the same or a few dollars less. Student gets same education, same skills and knowledge, and instructor has less paperwork. Same with gas management, buddy skills, uw communication, and for,that matter something like night dives. No card needed to dive at night so the card is useless. The skills and knowledge on the other hand though could save somebody's butt. But even these are not worth much if you don't get out and just dive and use those skills. Let them sink in and become instinct. I know from my own experience that class after class with no diving in between was a big mistake and big drain on my wallet that did not need to happen.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

This has been very enlightening for me. I thought Master Diver would be a course that would teach additional skills besides the five specialties so that you are a more comprehensive, well rounded diver. If I am understanding the critics correctly, that is not the case? It simply means you get one acknowledgment card for the five specialty cards you already have?

Following my original question, I have Nitrox specialty from SDI and three specialties from PADI. If I am pursuing Master Scuba Diver, would PADI be expecting that I take the same Nitrox course through them once again so that they could count that towards the MSD?

Thanks a lot folks this. This has been very helpful.

Reactions: Jax
........ Master Diver .......simply means you get one acknowledgment card for the five specialty cards you already have......
Correct.

Dive Master, on the other hand, is a much much more useful, fun and interesting course to take.

Following my original question, I have Nitrox specialty from SDI and three specialties from PADI. If I am pursuing Master Scuba Diver, would PADI be expecting that I take the same Nitrox course through them once again so that they could count that towards the MSD?

There'd be no point re-taking nitrox. Just pick another one from the list that interests you.

You have to have 5 PADI specialities, plus PADI rescue diver, plus 50 dives.

And once you have those you can decide if you want to spend 50 bucks to get a piece of plastic. Was not worth it to me. Divemaster on the other hand will get you lots of women. (ugly, blind, crazy ones, and you will have to pay them even, but hey).
Two agencies that I am personally familiar with have actual master diver courses as I alluded to previously if you want to get an education and not just a card - SEI and NAUI. Both offer instructor level knowledge and skills but do not include the teaching component.

But again I suggest you forget about courses and get a hundred or so dives in as many different environments as you can. You will learn far more about diving and yourself if you take a break and use what you have and decide what direction you want to take.

Lets not forget cpr and first aid which should have been done in Rescue

According to the version I have of the application, neither AOW nor Rescue need to be PADI, just the five specialties. Do I have an old version? I'm looking at 2.09, dated 2009.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom