why women don't dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teddyc911:
Some of us women divers have limits on how heavy a gear they can pack around and how far. I have back problems, but I still help carry things. I know my limits. I do not want to injure myself and not be able to dive. So when my loving husband dive-buddy says he'll carry it for me, I accept.

Absolutely -- if you have a back injury - shoulder injury - brain surgery - etc then by all means accept some help. You definitely do not want to hurt yourself. That just makes sense.

But if a woman has had none of these things then there is no reason why she can not carry her own gear. If there is it is time for her to hop into the the gym for a few weeks and get a bit of strength training - no I am not saying to buff up like Arnold - but enough so she can carry her gear.

It is my opinion that a diver should be able to be responsible for themselves in all aspects of diving. From the time you step out of your vehicle to the time you go home.

In the case of somebody who has an injury - if you have somebody (husband/loving buddy) who is willing to help you out - you forgo that. You have your own help. And the weight of responsibility is still being taken care of.

I have seen females show up to classes or on boats then whine about the weight of the gear and expect some unsuspecting guys to carry it all for them. They are shifting their responsibility off to strangers. This is the whining female.

Kimber

TekDiveGirl:
Absolutely -- if you have a back injury - shoulder injury - brain surgery - etc then by all means accept some help. You definitely do not want to hurt yourself. That just makes sense.

But if a woman has had none of these things then there is no reason why she can not carry her own gear. If there is it is time for her to hop into the the gym for a few weeks and get a bit of strength training - no I am not saying to buff up like Arnold - but enough so she can carry her gear......

Kimber

Is it realistic to expect ALL women to carry their own gear? What about those souls with delicate frames who -- stretching -- maybe reach 5'2"?

I wouldn't know. I passed 5' when I was 10 years old. No matter long I live, no matter how much I shrink, I'll never see it again :)

Curious....

DM

At the risk of repeating myself, you do not have to carry your own gear to be a diver - no matter if you have an injury or not! If you are reasonably healthy, you really should be able to carry your tank, at least a short distance - just because you might have to one day...but in an emergency you can simply ditch it all, really. I haven't met anyone yet who can't put on their kit and walk down to the back of the boat...barring physical limitations/injuries.

You should not, I feel, whine about how heavy the gear is and EXPECT or demand some one else to deal with it for you. You do need to be responsible for yourself in all aspects of diving, but accepting help and asking for help is part of the buddy system. You might divide the labour up - one carries the gear while the other is in the boat loading and putting stuff together or whatever.

You might just let your SO or dive buddy carry and load everything then wash it all down when you get back; you are off getting the beers, settiing up for dinner, throwing the towels et al into the washing machine - whatever.

I think most divers, male and female, soon sort out a system that works for them. For the divers, male and female, that refuse to take responsibility in any aspect of diving....well, they aren't really divers and after they go dive with more experienced divers either learn to be more responsible or take up knitting.

divemistress:
Is it realistic to expect ALL women to carry their own gear? What about those souls with delicate frames who -- stretching -- maybe reach 5'2"?

I wouldn't know. I passed 5' when I was 10 years old. No matter long I live, no matter how much I shrink, I'll never see it again :)

Curious....

DM

In my opinion yes. Would you expect a 5' guy to carry his gear? Why should it be any different for a chick?

Why should women expect to be treated differently?

Kimber

TekDiveGirl:
Why should women expect to be treated differently?

Kimber

Because even if I pump iron 8 hours a day I will never be as strong as my husband, and he will never be able to pack a lunch quite as well as me?

Foo:
Because even if I pump iron 8 hours a day I will never be as strong as my husband, and he will never be able to pack a lunch quite as well as me?

So you expect to show up places and be treated differently because you are the weaker sex? Men should pick things up and carry them for you because no matter if you pump iron 8 hours a day you will never be as strong as them?

Kimber

TekDiveGirl:
So you expect to show up places and be treated differently because you are the weaker sex? Men should pick things up and carry them for you because no matter if you pump iron 8 hours a day you will never be as strong as them?

Kimber

I understand what a lot of women here are saying, particularly those with injuries or changes in their health since they started diving. But I don't ever think you are REALLY safe unless you can carry your own gear with confidence. What if your buddy becomes incapacitated and you have to help them out of the water? Maybe you are all falling into the water off of luxury dive boats; where I am diving, you stumble over rocks, navigate down slopes, etc. getting into the water - with all your gear on. I can bend down and pick up my fins from the ground with my full gear on, including an 80 cf tank. I am 5'3.5" and weight 110 lbs. I do not lift weights 8 hours a day, and I will never be as strong as a man of even the equivalent size if he is in good physical shape, but I have always been fit and active and isn't that what you're supposed to be to be a safe diver???

I have spent the last 20 years working in a field that was considered "non-traditional" for females when I started. I have always carried my own weight, and sometimes more. When working as part of a field crew 10 years ago (4 females, 2 men), I learned that my supervisor referred to me as the only man on the crew - because I was strong, I never shirked my responsibilities, and I always did my best without complaining.

Heck - the "only man"!! I was the REAL WOMAN on the team LOL!

Nehallenia:
I understand what a lot of women here are saying, particularly those with injuries or changes in their health since they started diving. But I don't ever think you are REALLY safe unless you can carry your own gear with confidence. What if your buddy becomes incapacitated and you have to help them out of the water? Maybe you are all falling into the water off of luxury dive boats; where I am diving, you stumble over rocks, navigate down slopes, etc. getting into the water - with all your gear on. I can bend down and pick up my fins from the ground with my full gear on, including an 80 cf tank. I am 5'3.5" and weight 110 lbs. I do not lift weights 8 hours a day, and I will never be as strong as a man of even the equivalent size if he is in good physical shape, but I have always been fit and active and isn't that what you're supposed to be to be a safe diver???

I would dive with you any time --- anyplace.

Kimber

Nehallenia:

I'm still trying to figure out why my friend/dive buddy who took the class with me hasn't been diving since our certification trip. We were certified back in March of this year. She was all gung ho about diving during the class and loved to tell other people she was getting certified but hasn't been out since check out dives. When I go out I always asked her to go and it's always "I've got plans." I finally stopped asking and realize she must not like the sport. It just really bugs me how she will continue to tell people she dives but doesn't go out. I have other people I can go diving with but the majority are guys, only two girls.

I also agree with the statements regarding carrying your own equipment. I always carrying my own gear, set it up, etc. I think it feels great to be able to take care of things on your own. On friday I rented four tanks (2 were my buddy's) for diving on Saturday and I lugged them out to the car all by myself from my LDS. (I'm 5'4" and 113lbs) There were two men in the shop working that could have helped. Hey, they didn't offer and I wasn't asking. Call it pride I guess. If they had offered to help then I wouldn't have cared if someone grabbed a tank and took it out for me. I have pride but I'm not stupid. Today I lugged all four back and into the shop myself, and I had 2" high heel boots on (I was doing this after work). That part probably wasn't a smart thing. I actually debating taking them off and taking the stuff in barefoot but was too much in a hurry. I've always been independent and tried to take care of things myself. I don't think that's a bad thing. I do know when to ask for help and will if I need to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom