why women don't dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also wasn't trying to imply that anyone who lets someone else take their gear once in a while (division of duties and all) is a whiny girlie-girl. There are things that Jim can lift that I flat-out cannot, and other times I need his help with something (for some reason, this weekend, I was having a horrible time getting my antiquated Scubapro tank strap to unclip, and he was finally able to wrench the thing up). I have seen girls who love to stand around in "damsel in distress" mode, expecting men to serve them with everything and getting irritated if they so much as have to lift their own weight belt.

Ishie

alcina:

/broken nailed divers !

Now you've gone too far!

hehehe. Okay, sounds like most of us are on pretty much the same wavelength about this. So, I have decided that I should like to dive with all of you! Where and when??

Foo

cudachaser:
My Classes are at 40% female

I have a university class of 10 with 7 women. It's good to be me, sometimes.

mad:

You know, I really love women. I really love women in bikinis. I can even appreciate some mild sexist fantasy once in a while. BUT, what's up with the weaponry?

Neil

OT: I don't really know but I like.

Last 2 weeks I went to Indonesia and for the first time in my life 6 girls and 4 men... :)

neil:
I have a university class of 10 with 7 women. It's good to be me, sometimes.
neil - my university class, I was one of three women in 105.

:11ztongue

Belushi and I are very similar to what alot have already said about the issue of "whiny girlie-girls". I wouldn't describe myself as a "whiny girlie-girl" - but Belushi does help me with my gear.

For example, we've just done a liveaboard and dived off a zodiac. When all the gear was thrown back onto the boat, I asked Belushi to carry by gear up and I'd carry his. Simply because mine had an extra 9kg of weight from the intergrated pockets - his was a weight belt! Made it quicker and a lot easier!

I never turn down help when it is offered, but I am perfectly capable on my own too. I think diving with a partner makes diving and preparation to dive more like a team effort! I spit into his mask, he helps me lug my gear up the stairs!!!

I go to the university of british columbia and 60% of the active members are female.... however I know that isn't the trend at some of the other clubs around the city who cater to other people especially to the over 24 age category, where the vast majority are male. But maybe this is a sign that maybe diving is a growing trend with younger women here in Canada, and hopefully will continue to be so. As for encouraging other people to do it. I took the course by myself, since it was something I've always wanted to do. And since I talk about it so much I've actually managed to convince some of my friends to take it. However, out of those friends, most of them unfortuately didn't continue with diving even though they claimed to love it. Most of them say it's because it costs to much or they don't have time, and I understand that for the most part, being in school is super expensive and time consuming.. but really getting out at least a few times a month is WELL worth it!!!! Even if you can only fit in a little after study night dive! :D

Anyway thats just my 2 cents, I just joined this board and already I'm spending WAYYY too much time on here. hehe

Hi
Probly has somthing to do with social expectations. "Gooda Giirls justa don't doa that LOL"
I find the same problem in Malaysia. It is not usual for the girls to dive. But things are changing for the better
Fatimah

mad:
Hi girls!!

In Italy we have only 22% of scuba girls, I don't know in the rest of the world but I suppose the same.

Why your friends don't dive?
do they consider a heavy hobby?
do they think it's dangerous?
do they prefer spending money in other ways?

and the most important question is: how can we make them try?

ciao, Marco

According to the PADI office about 15 percent of certified divers are women.
I'm assuming that's in the US.

Sounds like the percentages are higher in other parts of the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom