why women don't dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mad

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi girls!!

In Italy we have only 22% of scuba girls, I don't know in the rest of the world but I suppose the same.

Why your friends don't dive?
do they consider a heavy hobby?
do they think it's dangerous?
do they prefer spending money in other ways?

and the most important question is: how can we make them try?

ciao, Marco

Most of my Girl friends are non-divers, the reason why they don't pick up the sport are because of the following :-

1) they are afraid of the sun :15a:
2) they can't swim
3) Scuba diving is too expensive
4) the tank is too heavy
5) they are afraid of shark
and etc

Even though who actually picked up the sport, they don't dive much too.... and that is why most of my dive buddies are guys :e18: :57:

Well. I have long give up the ideas to persuade my friends to take up diving, but my guess is if you show them how beautiful the underwater world is, that might just get them to pick up the sport :wink:

animian2002:
Most of my Girl friends are non-divers, the reason why they don't pick up the sport are because of the following :-

1) they are afraid of the sun :15a:
2) they can't swim
3) Scuba diving is too expensive
4) the tank is too heavy
5) they are afraid of shark
and etc

Even though who actually picked up the sport, they don't dive much too....
Hmmm - these are the same reasons I hear from guys who are not interested in diving. Most of my guy friends are not divers, either....

Most Italian women are far too busy laying out in the sun trying to get skin cancer...

No chance for bronzata underwater Marco..

My missus is a keen diver.
Chris

In Portugal the percentage of women divers are around 10 / 15%.

Reasons:

It´s too expensive
The water is cold and diving in Atlantic ocean can be very rough (strong currents, no stairs on the boat, bad visibility)

I don´t dive in Portugal so often because of the reasons stated above (maybe 2/3 dives a month). I try not to loose my skills in diving between my dive trips (4 or 5 dives a day on trips).

Despite of all that, I did very nice dives in Portugal and every year there is more women in this sport!!!

For me diving is an activity which you can´t "we make other people try" - I have seen several episodes of people (man and woman) who took their OW course and in their first difficulty on the sea, gave up diving.

It must be an internal motivation, for me is my passion for the underwater world, my love for nature, the pleasure I have for been underwater, the peace I have after a dive, ... I learned to dive at 6 months and since then spent 8/10 hours / weekends on the water (lived in Brazil while I was young and my weekends were spent on swimming pool or the beach with mother and father).

you all are right!
maybe I'll ask Mrs Prada to design a jacket!! :eyebrow:

You guys are diving in the wrong area!! I was on a trip with weekend. And in our group of 5 there was one guy!! And boy was he happy!

My girlfriend is a diver. But she doesn't like codl water so here in Poland I dive without her. But we dive together on our trips to warmer parts of the world.

I mysefl hate cold too but I know quite a lot of girl divers in Warsaw. Some of them even technical ones.
But most of my dive buddies are man and sorry mad - I'm quite happy with this :wink:
Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom