why women don't dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With you on that one, Suthnbelle - I don't turn down offers of help, or ask for it if I really do need a hand, but at the same time I don't do 'helpless chick', either. I like being as independant as possible from both a practical as well as a moral standpoint. Who wants to be constantly waiting for someone to help them lug their gear around? By the same token, if I have a free hand and I see someone laden down, I'll offer to assist in whatever way I can.

But then, I'm an able-bodied, 5'10" woman who works out a lot...I appreciate that not everyone (male or female) is in adequate physical condition to do everything unassisted. Although there are some diminutive women out there who are as wiry as anything and can handle their gear very efficiently!

suthnbelle:
If they had offered to help then I wouldn't have cared if someone grabbed a tank and took it out for me. I have pride but I'm not stupid. ...... I've always been independent and tried to take care of things myself. I don't think that's a bad thing. I do know when to ask for help and will if I need to.

And that is my whole point. You are independant and are prepared to take care of your own. If somebody offers to help you out - sure why not let them. You are not playing the helpless female routine. And in the times you genuinely need help - then you ask as well. This is not the helpless female routine either but a normal human interaction.

You too I would dive with. You show that you are a thinking independant individual. It is the helpless female person that in dependant on others that worries me. If you are dependant on the surface - how for does the dependance go?

Kimber

TekDiveGirl:
So you expect to show up places and be treated differently because you are the weaker sex? Men should pick things up and carry them for you because no matter if you pump iron 8 hours a day you will never be as strong as them?

Kimber

Naw, Kimber I don't expect to show up places and be treated differently because I am the weaker (physically) sex. But if my HUSBAND chooses to help me with heavier items while I take care of the detail stuff that he detests, I would say that that's our business and shouldn't really bother anyone around us.

I do and can carry tanks, bags, etc. We really don't have a "division of duties" in our family regarding gear, etc... sometimes it's me who gets everything together, sometimes it's him, sometimes we both do it, sometimes I'm the one cleaning everything later, sometimes it's him, again, sometimes shared. It really depends on the situation, and the day. We don't keep count, because we are both willing to do our part. My response to you was somewhat tongue in cheek, but I guess that was hard to convey with text.

But the hard, cold facts are that our bodies are different, were created different, and that he will always be stronger than me. I don't mind being the weaker sex, physically. I am glad to have a strong supportive husband who will be there if I need him to lift the weight bag. I can pull them out a few at a time, but if he's able to lift the whole thing, and he doesn't mind, why not let him lift it? And I can make much better pound cake for surface intervals than he. So we work together as a team, and that's okay too, right?

Foo

Foo:
Naw, Kimber I don't expect to show up places and be treated differently because I am the weaker (physically) sex. But if my HUSBAND chooses to help me with heavier items while I take care of the detail stuff that he detests, I would say that that's our business and shouldn't really bother anyone around us.

I do and can carry tanks, bags, etc. We really don't have a "division of duties" in our family regarding gear, etc... sometimes it's me who gets everything together, sometimes it's him, sometimes we both do it, sometimes I'm the one cleaning everything later, sometimes it's him, again, sometimes shared. It really depends on the situation, and the day. We don't keep count, because we are both willing to do our part. My response to you was somewhat tongue in cheek, but I guess that was hard to convey with text.

But the hard, cold facts are that our bodies are different, were created different, and that he will always be stronger than me. I don't mind being the weaker sex, physically. I am glad to have a strong supportive husband who will be there if I need him to lift the weight bag. I can pull them out a few at a time, but if he's able to lift the whole thing, and he doesn't mind, why not let him lift it? And I can make much better pound cake for surface intervals than he. So we work together as a team, and that's okay too, right?

Foo

Absolutely perfect! You guys have your system worked out and you aren't expecting anybody else to do you stuff. No worries! (-; You wouldn't hit my radar at all!

And I bet if he wasn't around you would still carry your gear with no complaints. Again - you would not hit my radar.

Kimber

I think I understand what Kimber is trying to say.

There are some people (women AND men) who hate to carry their own gear. I've come across a few of them. It's not about trying your best (Which most divers do - regardless of what they can actually lift), it's about wanting to take part in a sport without doing all the predive chores. Although I enjoy that part too! :wink:

There are some people who want to turn up, be put in their gear and then dive, come back out and leave.

Personally I'm not a strong as some of the people I dive with, I do my best, but I do need help some times. However, I try and help out with other aspects - suiting up, making the coffee etc! :44:

NauticalbutNice :fruit:

But I don't ever think you are REALLY safe unless you can carry your own gear with confidence. What if your buddy becomes incapacitated and you have to help them out of the water? Maybe you are all falling into the water off of luxury dive boats; where I am diving, you stumble over rocks, navigate down slopes, etc. getting into the water - with all your gear on

Divers of any age/gender etc should realise that it is OK to ditch your gear and/or your buddy's gear if necessary. In this scenario it would seem to be the best option anyway.

Each dive is going to be different and you'll approach each plan with appropriate response if you're a good diver.

I am thinking that who carries the gear is irrelevant...it's those whiney butt, more talk than action, god's gift, look-at-me, aren't I too precious to get involved/dirty/sweaty/broken nailed divers that give most of us the whoops!

suthnbelleI also agree with the statements regarding carrying your own equipment. I always carrying my own gear:
I have been there - I will accept an offer to take out a tank if I have more than one (gets me on my way faster) certainly. But I never EXPECT anyone to carry my tank or anything else. I have also done the carrying a tank in heels thing - not a good idea, not a good feeling to carry a heavy weight when your feet aren't flat on the ground!

alcina:
I am thinking that who carries the gear is irrelevant...it's those whiney butt, more talk than action, god's gift, look-at-me, aren't I too precious to get involved/dirty/sweaty/broken nailed divers that give most of us the whoops!

There ya go...

(-;

Kimber

NauticalbutNice:
There are some people (women AND men) who hate to carry their own gear. I've come across a few of them. It's not about trying your best (Which most divers do - regardless of what they can actually lift), it's about wanting to take part in a sport without doing all the predive chores. Although I enjoy that part too! :wink:

Nods - and I don't care if you (not you - those people who hate it I mean) hate to do it or not -- you decided to become a diver and you knew what that entailed when you got certified -- so you best not whine when it comes time to get your gear from your car to the boat and find some dude who has to stop whatever he is doing to come carry it for you. And you sure better be able to set up your own kit.

I feel a diver should be self-sufficient. Now if your husband who you brought with you is carrying your stuff - you brought your pack mule (no offence meant to the guys) with you and thusly you have take care of your needs sufficiently! Together you have worked out your plan as a team. Each of you doing your part. Everybody is happy and nobody is put out. In scenario number one that isn't the case.

The give and take aspect vs the take take aspect. That is where the difference lies.

Kimber

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom