why women don't dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've gotta agree with Kimber - the (non Italian) women I've met who dive are way more enthusiastic than the blokes. In fact you cant shut them/us up!
But.... they/we do tend not to worry about appearances and are generally more outgoing types than the 'majority'.
Asian women do a lot of diving, because, let's face it, it's nice diving conditions and you dont wear huge amounts of make-up anyway! It's too hot & sweaty for that unless you work in an office/air-con all day.

When I lived in Europe I really really wanted to dive, but given how fast my metabolism is I feel the cold really badly, and I just couldnt be arsed with the faff of messing around with wetsuits. I was just not motivated enough. It is a pain in the backside all the faff in cold weather diving. I'd rather go rock-climbing (which I do - except of course when I rip my shoulder out again - doh).

TekDiveGirl There is nothing that I know of people do to discourage people from diving. Kimber[/QUOTE:
I agree with you ... I think when you REALLY like diving every obstacle can be surpassed, despite your gender ... :snorkel:

lostinspace:
I've all the faff in cold weather diving. .

I am having a cross-cultural moment, I think - what is 'faff'? How do you pronounce it? Is it PG13?? Thanks.

You know, I feel like I'm the really odd one here: I'm a single, late-30's woman with no kids. I took the OW course on my own this summer (mostly because I really wanted to do it and my friends were dragging their feet about signing up for a course). In 3 months, I've logged over 30 dives, and I'm continuing to dive through the colder weather. Of course, I have a decent full-time job, which has helped finance the nearly 5K I've spent on courses/rentals/gear purchases, and I'm about to spend another 1K on a drysuit. Granted, being single and childless helps, as I don't have a non-diving SO or kids at home to keep me from my new hobby, but I like the ability to be able to do what I want, when I want to do it. If only I could find a nice guy who dives, that would be even better.

Why do I do dive? I love it. The first time I tried it, I asked myself why I hadn't done this 20 years ago. But 20 years ago you had to practically go thru navy seal training to be a diver. I digress. What I've found is that of the 4 women on my OW course, I'm the only one who is diving consistently. One hasn't done any diving since her OW weekend. Another disappeared, maybe she's diving with her husband, who knows. The third dove once with me on a shallow wreck, and did a few more dives in the Caribbean with her SO. But she thinks it's too cold now and too expensive to rent/buy the equipment. On the other hand, I know for a fact that one of the guys on my course hasn't gone diving since the OW weekend because took the course with his ex-GF, and is no longer interested in diving. Another guy is too busy with running his business to dive. I have a friend from a while back who dives, but only in the Caribbean. He's a WWW - a 'warm water wuss'. Not that there's anything wrong with that. My friend, who got her cert with her SO in August, has logged one dive here since then and has said she doesn't want to dive with him again, and she's not comfortable in the water here. She's well on her way to becoming another WWW.

The St. Lawrence river is pretty nice, actually. There's no thermocline, it's fresh water, lots of wrecks to dive as well as some fun drifts, and there's always the chance of a freighter going by in the shipping channel while you're diving whose engine vibrations you can feel pounding in your chest, like being at a rock concert. It's a real adrenaline rush, but I admit it's not for everyone. First time I dove in the St.L, I thought it was kind of creepy (couldn't see the bottom, dark green water, low-viz), but I soon realized that while it wasn't the Caribbean, it was nice in its own way, just different, and I've learned to love it. I look forward to diving every weekend, it's a great stress-reliever for me. I've invested in all my own gear except for tanks, and it feels great to have a relationship with my LDS where I can ask if we can dive this or that wreck this weekend, and they find others who are interested and we're off. I've met lots of great people who I dive with often, and I know I'll always have someone to dive with on the weekend. True, not all dives can be good dives, the currents in some areas are quite strong and can tire you out before you even start, but conditions vary all the time, and I'd rather be diving than not. That being said, I've had to call a dive a couple of times, and there's no shame in doing it.

I don't really care if my dive buddy is male or female, as long as they dive safely and I can count on them as a buddy. We have a 16-year-old girl in our dive club who just got certified a couple of months ago, got her AOW soon after -- I've dived with her, and she's great. Of course her parents are both avid divers, so that helps. She'll keep diving as long as she can this fall, just like me. Her enthusiasm about diving is very similar to mine, and it's nice to have someone else who feels that way.

Because of my enthusiastic dive-talk, my sister-in-law says she and my nephew will be getting certified next summer. Maybe they'll drag my brother along with them too :)

I'm planning a trip south soon, going to do some Caribbean diving and maybe some cavern diving too. But as soon as I get back, I'll be back in the St.L in my dry suit. I may even go ice diving this winter!

Some of us women divers have limits on how heavy a gear they can pack around and how far. I have back problems, but I still help carry things. I know my limits. I do not want to injure myself and not be able to dive. So when my loving husband dive-buddy says he'll carry it for me, I accept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinspace
ps as for gear being heavy - isnt that what husbands are for?!

Ayyyyyyyyeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nononononono!!!!!

Actually one of my pet peeves has always has been women who don't carry their own gear! The girls who show up to class and flutter their eyes and expect the guys to schlep their tanks for them and whine because they are toooo heavy. What did they expect it to be? Valet SCUBA?

I've said it once and I'll say it again...it does not make me less of a person or less of a diver if my DH or other person carries my gear. Big deal. I am probably sorting out the paperwork, prepping the boat, filling the last tanks, parking the trailer, putting the rig together or some other thing that also needs to be done to get us out and diving. Or not. Maybe I am simply letting some one else do something for me. It can be nice.

Doesn't make me less independent, smart, savvy or strong. I'll bet that I return the kindness/effort later.

Can I carry my own gear? Yes. Do I always? No. Do I sometimes? Yes. Do I sometimes carry (and load) everyones' gear? Yes. Do I look askance at a woman (or man) who doesn't carry their own gear? Probably at first, if that person is carrying nothing at all, but usually each is carrying something - even those who have strict physical limitations (and I see a lot of these in both genders) help with the dry stuff etc. Each to their own abilities and needs.

The whiney girls you can have, though I must say in more than ten years I have probably come across three of them. Mostly I see one buddy responsible for certain things and the other buddy responsible for other things...just my two cents.

Nehallenia:
I am having a cross-cultural moment, I think - what is 'faff'? How do you pronounce it? Is it PG13?? Thanks.

hmmm....pronouncing it depends on your accent.

in English (as in UK English) it is a short "a"... not "ah" or "aarrr" or "aaayyy" but "a" as in the "a" you say when you say the "a"lph"a"bet.

does that makes sense?!

anyway as to the meaning of the word....
I did a google to see if someone has explained it better than I could:
http://www.chime.ucl.ac.uk/~rmhiajp/diving/6dived1.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/1514/faff.html

:wink:

lostinspace:
hmmm....pronouncing it depends on your accent.

in English (as in UK English) it is a short "a"... not "ah" or "aarrr" or "aaayyy" but "a" as in the "a" you say when you say the "a"lph"a"bet.

does that makes sense?!

anyway as to the meaning of the word....
I did a google to see if someone has explained it better than I could:
http://www.chime.ucl.ac.uk/~rmhiajp/diving/6dived1.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/1514/faff.html

:wink:

Checked out the links - hilarious! You would probably hate to hear me pronounce it with my flat North American accent . . . or am I faffing??

nope - that's not faffing

faffing is trying to decide whether or not you should check out the links but in the meantime perhaps whilst you think about it you could go and post on another forum but whilst doing that you forget what you were thinking about doing or posting on SB.....

lostinspace:
nope - that's not faffing

faffing is trying to decide whether or not you should check out the links but in the meantime perhaps whilst you think about it you could go and post on another forum but whilst doing that you forget what you were thinking about doing or posting on SB.....

I am going to send those links to a couple of non-SB friends, it is too funny!

Back
Top Bottom