Why was the piston reg invented?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t think the question of why it was invented can ever be answered. I think we can question as to why they are still used.

I don’t know what the cost difference is in manufacturing, but could it be cheaper to manufacture piston regs? Low cost to make plus high flow rate which is good for marketing equals high profit margin for Scubapro?

My old Scubapro MK 14 diaphram reg has a rotating turret. On a side note it still is one of the best breathing regs I have ever dove.
When you say "it's the best breathing reg you've ever dove", what 2nd stage are you using? because that's what breathes well, not necessarily the first stage. Any first stage that can supply a decent amount of flow and keep a steady IP will work, the 2nd stage doesn't know or care what's supplying it. You can take a really nice well tuned 2nd stage and put it on a total POS 1st stage and it will still breathe like velvet (if it's balanced), and you could put a total POS 2nd on a really nice first stage and it will be terrible.

Last edited:

When you say "it's the best breathing reg you've ever dove", what 2nd stage are you using? because that's what breathes well, not necessarily the first stage. Any first stage that can supply a decent amount of flow and keep a steady IP will work, the 2nd stage doesn't know or care what's supplying it. You can take a really nice well tuned 2nd stage and put it on a total POS 1st stage and it will still breathe like velvet (if it's balanced), and you could put a total POS 2nd on a really nice first stage and it will be terrible.

I said one of the best regs lol. I have a G500 second stage on it. It is a pretty nice second.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom