Which of these regulators do you recommend for our situation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapro MK25/G260 or S600
If you must have a diaghram
Scubapro MK19/G260

If you want, I have a 2x SP MK25 EVO + S600. They are used, I'm taking them on their last dive in a couple weeks before I get them serviced and sell them. We dive LA all the way down to SD. I'll give you a good deal if you buy both.

Otherwise, I don't know about the GUE fundies. But I'm switching to Deep6 for all the regs we use so I can self service them. If you plan on diving in cold waters like canada or alaska, I would definitely do an environmentally sealed 1st stage regulator (the MK 25 EVO is not, but people don't tend to have issues with them in ice environments).

The swivel turret generally just provides much better hose routing. Especially for pony, sidemount, doubles. I think it's worth the extra money and with the LP 5th port on the bottom. Even more so if you dive drysuit.

I don't remember if it was @tbone1004 or someone else who mentioned that only a couple tools are needed for the Apeks and it is one of the easier regs to service in the field (my solution is to carry spare regs). So I'd choose an Apeks XTX50 (still have one) or MTX-R over the ScubaPros (also own them). Not sure why, but I've talked to a number of folks with similar issues in the squeeling of SP regs after service. My guess is that it is a technician's skill issue, but I've never experienced that with any other regs I've owned (Atomic, Apeks, IST, Deep 6).

I had a squealing Mk25 and fixed it by adding more lube to the piston fittings. No big deal.

I dive both the ScubaPro Mk25 and Apex DS4 1st stages. The DS4 is only for O2 on my rebreather where a sealed reg is required. (mCCR needs a blanking plug for fixed IP) For open circuit diving I like the Mk25's better due to the turret's flexibility in routing. My rebreather bailout uses the Mk25 and I need to run a 2nd stage, drysuit, SPG and offboard connector. The turret makes this cleaner.

I have an Apex DST with a turret but don't use it. It has a weird 1/2 inch LP port which I find to be a hassle due to it's non-standard compatability.

As a long time cold water diver I don't see any advantage for sealed regs over unsealed. I see this called out all the time and find it way overblown as a concern.

As a long time cold water diver I don't see any advantage for sealed regs over unsealed. I see this called out all the time and find it way overblown as a concern.

Dave,

But it isn't that cold here. If diving say Antarctica at -2 C / 28 F, it may make a difference. Admittedly, I have no experience with such.

If you want, I have a 2x SP MK25 EVO + S600. They are used, I'm taking them on their last dive in a couple weeks before I get them serviced and sell them. We dive LA all the way down to SD. I'll give you a good deal if you buy both.

Otherwise, I don't know about the GUE fundies. But I'm switching to Deep6 for all the regs we use so I can self service them. If you plan on diving in cold waters like canada or alaska, I would definitely do an environmentally sealed 1st stage regulator (the MK 25 EVO is not, but people don't tend to have issues with them in ice environments).

The swivel turret generally just provides much better hose routing. Especially for pony, sidemount, doubles. I think it's worth the extra money and with the LP 5th port on the bottom. Even more so if you dive drysuit.

You can also self service your ScubaPro regs. It's easy to buy parts on eBay, Scuba O-Ring Supplier EPDM-VITON®-NBR-Polyurethane ScubaGaskets, or various people here on SB. The manuals and diagrams are all available for download and you only need a few simple tools. The Mk25 and S600 are pretty easy to service.

When we use to Ice dive we used Poseidon with the vodka boot and Odins or Cyklons

Dave,

But it isn't that cold here. If diving say Antarctica at -2 C / 28 F, it may make a difference. Admittedly, I have no experience with such.

Like I said, I find the concern overblown. Not with out merit in the extreme scenarios. But relatively few people experience those conditions. If I were diving frequently in Below Freezing weather I'd probably use my Apex regs. Short of that I don't find it to be an issue.

That said I've done a couple dozen dives up in BC when there the boat had to Break Ice to get to the ocean and had no issues with my Mk25s.

The 1/2" port on Apeks DST/FSR/FST is history for many yrs. Standard 3/8".
Apeks DS4 +XTX50 and 40(octo).
If you prefer swivel then DST.
Dead easy to service main stream Apeks regs. NO special tool whatsoever required. Getting the service kits is different story.

I dive sealed diaphragms (MK 17) to keep silt and sand etc out of it, I won’t ever be diving any water cold enough to worry about freezing.

Back
Top Bottom