Which of these regulators do you recommend for our situation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 1/2" port on Apeks DST/FSR/FST is history for many yrs. Standard 3/8".
Apeks DS4 +XTX50 and 40(octo).
If you prefer swivel then DST.
Dead easy to service main stream Apeks regs. NO special tool whatsoever required. Getting the service kits is different story.

ScubaGaskets.com has Apeks service kits. I agree these are dead simple to service.

Lose the MTX-R and get the Apeks DST/XTX50 regulator, if you prefer Apeks. On the Scubapro side, the MK19 is just easier and simpler to maintain. Sealed diaphram means you just rinse the exterior and do not have to worry about religiously flushing the main spring chamber of salt crystals and debris. I believe some of folks on this board felt the G260 breathed better than the S600/S620/A700.

Your GUE Fundamentals instructor won't care which regulator you use, as long as your primary second stage is attached to a 7ft hose and your alternate second stage is on necklace.

Performance wise, you won't be able to tell any difference. I've breathed from Apeks, Scubapro, Hog, Atomic, & Aqua Lung regulators that were well maintained and tuned correctly. All breathed exceptionally well, and if I could detect a performance difference, I wouldn't discount the placebo effect..

Apeks DST/XTX50 with 5th Port $700.00
Scubapro MK19-G260 ~$800 (best guess on that price as I don't see this combo on SP's website)

Personally, I would go with the Apeks. It's less expensive and the venturi lever on the second stage is easier to use than on the SP second stage, especially with drygloves.

ScubaGaskets.com has Apeks service kits. I agree these are dead simple to service.

Also so does buddhasummer and can also get parts as well. There are also several supplier online that sell service kits. Also (outside the US) any Apeks/AL dive shop sells them. But really all you need is HP seats, diaphragms, and environmental seals. then you can buy hundred of the o-rings from oringstore.com for a couple bucks. I have a complete list of all the Apeks o-rings if anyone wants it. DM me.

I agree Apeks regs are incredibly simple to service, and I have never had a problem getting parts for them. That is actually one of the main reasons why I originally went down the Apeks road was the reliably, simplicity, plus parts availably along with a majority of the people I have seen diving are using Apeks regs (most of my diving is in Asia, EU, Egypt, Australia). Performance wise I can not complain either, I have never had a problem with them, extremely reliable. There is a reason why Apeks especially the DST has such a good reputation. But that being said the MK25 has the same reputation. Really either reg is more than sufficient for your needs and will last you a life time. This is a Ferrari vs Lamborghini situation you really can't make a wrong choice either is an extremely good performing reg.

Apeks DST and XTX50 2nd/octo get my vote. Simple, sealed and easy to service. The MTX-RC is nice but I don't know if it would be needed for your diving. Apeks is also providing parts for life in most if not all locations, SP is not anymore. I work on both and you definitely need more tools with the SP regs you're looking at.

I had a squealing Mk25 and fixed it by adding more lube to the piston fittings. No big deal.

I dive both the ScubaPro Mk25 and Apex DS4 1st stages. The DS4 is only for O2 on my rebreather where a sealed reg is required. (mCCR needs a blanking plug for fixed IP) For open circuit diving I like the Mk25's better due to the turret's flexibility in routing. My rebreather bailout uses the Mk25 and I need to run a 2nd stage, drysuit, SPG and offboard connector. The turret makes this cleaner.

I have an Apex DST with a turret but don't use it. It has a weird 1/2 inch LP port which I find to be a hassle due to it's non-standard compatability.

As a long time cold water diver I don't see any advantage for sealed regs over unsealed. I see this called out all the time and find it way overblown as a concern.
Just a question as to what the temperature range is when referencing your cold water diving? I've never dove that area (Seattle).

I have a Mk25 evo /g260 din available for sell if your interested.

Thank you for all your recommendations. That definitely helps me narrow it down a lot. Right now, I'm leaning most towards MK 25 Evo + G260 for my situation.

I can't wait to hear your final decision, it is getting so exciting :)

Just a question as to what the temperature range is when referencing your cold water diving? I've never dove that area (Seattle).

I am on a boat diving right now south of Seattle! It is 44F and sunny, the water temperature is 46F. The water temperature range year round is about 45F - 55F.

Back
Top Bottom