Guide to Mares regulators from 2000-2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buying products from Switzerland will always be expensive. Mares does not normally sell service kits and spare parts to end users. Is there no dive shop in your area that would order the CWD for you?
Most places list the product around 80 €, that Swiss shop is so far the cheapest. Maybe I'll email all the local Mares service guys if someone had these laying around. 👍

They are the same size. It's just a photo artifact.
Does not look the same, mine look like this.
Screenshot 2024-04-03 181814.png

But I can't answer whether you can use a new reg for rich mixes. First, I'm not even sure what you will be using. A MOD of 21m is a weird number, that's 51.6% at 1.6 ppO2.
They sell R2XR with a green cap, I assume at least that version is O2 clean out of the box. Funny that R2S is a bit cheaper than the XR, most likely they are the same.

Well yeah EAN50 MOD would be 22 m, but the stops are done in 3 meter increments, so 21 m would be where you switch to 50 %.

How does this even work at the depths you are talking about? Ambient pressure at 100m is equal to the surface IP for Mares regs.
It doesn't. MOD for these mCCR's is 90 m because deeper than that you can't add oxygen to the loop. One workaround is to increase the IP, but then you also have change a smaller orifice. Should you push the limits like that or should you get an expedition CCR that's designed to go super deep? I don't know, I've done one try dive on a CCR. 😅

Does not look the same, mine look like this.
View attachment 835594

They sell R2XR with a green cap, I assume at least that version is O2 clean out of the box. Funny that R2S is a bit cheaper than the XR, most likely they are the same.
Never dived American-style? :)

The regs in my photo all have yoke connectors. It's the original standard and has persisted in most of the US, Caribbean, and much of Asia for recreational diving. You have a DIN connector, which has replaced yoke for all diving in Europe and for tech diving everywhere else. (Pretty much.)

The regs are the same other than the connector parts and can be easily converted from one to the other if you have those parts.

But you Europeans also have another DIN standard which was introduced in 2008 and is intended for all enriched gas mixture all the way up to 100%. It uses a different sized thread (M26 instead of M25) and requires a compatible tank valve.

Regs made for this standard usually have some green coloring and are labeled "Nitrox" or NX. This includes the "green cap" R2.

Everything made in the old standard for sale in the EU will include a statement in the manual that it is for compressed air only with an O2 content no greater than 22%. The exact same regs are labeled as compatible with Nitrox up to 40% in the rest of the world.

It is my understanding that most divers outside of France ignores this regulation and uses the older DIN standard for all mixes. But I have no firsthand knowledge of this. How does it work where you dive?

Well yeah EAN50 MOD would be 22 m, but the stops are done in 3 meter increments, so 21 m would be where you switch to 50 %.

It doesn't. MOD for these mCCR's is 90 m because deeper than that you can't add oxygen to the loop. One workaround is to increase the IP, but then you also have change a smaller orifice. Should you push the limits like that or should you get an expedition CCR that's designed to go super deep? I don't know, I've done one try dive on a CCR. 😅
Got it on the 21m. Not going to speculate on the mCCR.

You have a DIN connector, which has replaced yoke for all diving in Europe and for tech diving everywhere else. (Pretty much.)
While the DIN connection has become increasingly popular, there are plenty of divers using yoke type 1st stages all around Europe and they are available for sale in shops that choose to carry them.

The regs are the same other than the connector parts and can be easily converted from one to the other if you have those parts.
The port plugs in @Valtman's are further from the end of the regulator than those in the right-most 12ST in the picture you put in post #177.

It is my understanding that most divers outside of France ignores this regulation and uses the older DIN standard for all mixes. But I have no firsthand knowledge of this.
There are also many divers inside of France who ignore the 26M connection requirement for NX and just use the older DIN standard....at least in Nord-Pas-de-Calais and the adjoining departements.

-Z

The port plugs in @Valtman's are further from the end of the regulator than those in the right-most 12ST in the picture you put in post #177.
Again, I think that's a photo artifact. I don't have these regs so I borrowed the pic from an older thread here. (I only :) have the 16, pre-2008 22, post-2008 22, V32, MR32, 42 and 15.)

Here's Mares' own illustration of the differences between the 2008 and 2011 versions from their technical bulletin ITM25-3.

As they describe it:
"THE TWO VERSIONS WILL BE EASILY IDENTIFIABLE, BECAUSE THE PREVIOUS VERSION (2008) USES A DIFFERENT DIAPHRAGM RETAINING NUT, WHICH CREATES A GROOVE WITH THE BODY OF THE FIRST STAGE"

12S-2008-v-2011.jpg

It's hard to tell from the photos above, but that line just under the ports in the 2008 version is actually the top of the nut that holds the diaphragm in place. On the 2011 version, the threads are moved to the inside of the reg body and the retaining nut sits below the body. It is completely covered by the plastic cap when the reg is fully assembled.

You can see it better in the reassembly illustrations in the service manuals for the two regs. First the 2008 version. The retaining nut is the part being held in the tech's fingers.

2008-retaining-nut-photo.jpg

Now the 2011. We don't get a good luck at the nut unfortunately, but you can see the internal threads where it attaches in the top picture and it being tightened by the wrench in the bottom image.

2011-retaining-nut-photo.jpg

BTW, these two regs need different coldwater kits because the body of the kits replace these nuts.

Reactions: Zef
Never dived American-style? :)
Yes, most of my diving has been in South-East Asia. Luckily many dive shops also have tanks with DIN valves. Yoke is not optimal, especially for sidemount.

It is my understanding that most divers outside of France ignores this regulation and uses the older DIN standard for all mixes. But I have no firsthand knowledge of this. How does it work where you dive?
I've never seen an M26 thread. Is the police enforcing this particular guideline in France? Why would anyone want to use it? So if I'm ever going to tech dive in France I should carry my own stage tanks or I might need to rent regs.

The green cap R2 has a standard M25 G 5/8" DIN thread. Unless you're French, I guess.

Again, I think that's a photo artifact.
Look at the photos! The Mares' illustrations match my regs, the 2011 one in your photo is extra short. It wouldn't be any longer if you'd swap the connector.

But you Europeans also have another DIN standard which was introduced in 2008 and is intended for all enriched gas mixture all the way up to 100%. It uses a different sized thread (M26 instead of M25) and requires a compatible tank valve.

Just a small nitpick here.
  • M25x2 6g refers to a thread that is used in SCUBA between a cylinder valve and the cylinder. This is not a thread that concerns SCUBA regulators. This is stipulated in BS EN 144-1:2018 - Inlet Connections. The actual dimensions of a M25x2 6g thread are defined in EN ISO 15245‑1-2021.
  • M26x2 6g refers to a thread that sits between the cylinder valve and regulator. This is stipulated in BS EN 144-3:2003 - Outlet Connections For Nitrox And O2. I can't quite recall which standard defines the M26x2 6g thread.
  • What is commonly called a DIN thread, is a G 5/8" thread. The connector is defined in DIN 477-1 2012-06. More specifically connector #13 from DIN 477, which since quite some time refers to BS EN 144-2-2018 - Outlet Connections.

• EN 144-1 refers to gas cylinder valve inlets. This encompasses the ubiquitous M25x2 6g among others like the tapered 17E and 25E.
  • EN 144-2 refers to cylinder valve outlets. This encompasses the G5/8" thread, commonly referred to as DIN.
  • EN 144-3 refers to cylinder valve outlets for O2 and Nitrox. This encompasses the hated M26x2 6g thread, that very few people actually use. This is a Nitrox connector that looks exactly like a DIN connector, only slightly larger in diameter. It was a well meaning standard, but aimed at such a small industry, that I hope it will bite the dust at some stage.

For any Mares regulator aficionados who might be subscribed to this thread, I am selling several excellent Mares reg sets. Please see listing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom