How to restore a Scubapro Mark VII Honker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cannot believe how heavy this is!

Attachments

• 15894917240474071566527854548578.jpg
    15894917240474071566527854548578.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 216
Perfect for taking pictures head down underneath a ledge! :D

Or to counterbalance Jet Fins!

cool as hell thx for the detailed blow by blow ..ive never had one on the bench ....

I have (belatedly) been edjumacated by @Luis H on the true history of the shouldered Mk5/Mk7 piston. The piston was not recalled, and there is no weakness in the pistons without a shoulder.

Post #2 on page 1 above has been modified to include the following:

"It should be noted that the Mk5 (and presumably the Mk7) piston was replaced with a piston with a large shoulder at the base of the piston shaft. I do not have a Service Bulletin that specifies this for the either the Mk5 or Mk7. However, sometime between Mk7 Rev B in 1974 and Rev H in 1984, the piston 101-4 was replaced with the 10.101.003. However, from Mk5 schematics as late as 1981, piston 10.101.003 was not yet a shouldered piston.

Sometime between 1981 and 1984, the piston was modified to add the shoulder. However, the piston part number did not change as late as the Mk7 Revision S in 1994, or the Mk5 Revision V in 1997. EDIT: The reason for the piston replacement was the small risk of the knife edge becoming embedded in the (then) flat seat. The conical seats had not been introduced yet, and the shoulder provided a stop beyond which the piston could not travel, preventing it from burying itself in the seat. There was never a piston recall, despite rumors to the contrary."

It's nice for those of us with lots of unshouldered Mk5 pistons (and conical seats) to know they were never recalled. I apologize for my earlier error.

Interestingly, a similar move with a small spacer was performed on the old Calypso III and IV, for the same reason.

Thanks to Rob's excellent tutorial, today the world has another formally quiet MK VII ready to make noise.

And thanks to @couv 's storehouse of SP knowledge, I now learn that the shouldered piston change was acknowledged in a company info only bulletin back in the 80's

Thanks, @couv !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom