How to restore a Scubapro Mark VII Honker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't describe this incredibly detailed invaluable thread, for honkers, honk honk!

A Honker? You can pick one up on eBay for $40 on a good day.

It was introduced around 1971
I can narrow that down for you quite a bit. When I bought mine in August of 1971 the design had been on the market for 6 months. My dad didn't like depending on new designs, but felt his 14-yo daughter was better off with a new design, rather than depending on the problematic J-valves. SPGs weren't really common or even affordable at the time.

FWIW, the 2nd stage I bought (109-A) at the same time is still my PRIMARY 2nd. I have a whole fleet of the 109-As, but my original is the one that is breathed from the most by far.

I tried over the years (in a pool) to see how long I could stand hearing the honker and the best I could ever do was just shy of 60 seconds. Part of my pre-dive checks was to 'test' the honker by just cracking the tank valve. Mine always started to honk when the SPG I had eventually gotten read between 500-600 psi.

When my somewhat inattentive son got certified at the age of 17, I got him a heavy yoke MKVII. He graduated to a non-paper weight (3-1/2# plus another 1# or so on port expanders) when I was convinced he was checking his gauges often enough. Actually, it only took one dive with him on the deep side of a steep drop-off to make the change.

Terrific information! And a great story to boot!
Thank you, @raftingtigger

Back
Top Bottom