Guide to Mares regulators from 2000-2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any second stage will work. But it might need to be tuned for the slightly higher IP that Mares specs for the first stage to ensure it doesn't leak gas.

If you get one of the adjustable stages on your list, you might be able to do this without taking the reg apart. If you are getting it serviced anyway, the shop will do the tuning as a matter of course.

But I'm sure you can find a Mares second for reasonable money. Post a Want to Buy here or check eBay. I see them all the time.

Definitely interested; I take it you mean the HR second stage here? 2nd Stage HR Regulator | Mares

Same thing, but the regular verson, not the deco version in your image. The faceplate is black not green. PM me if you are interested in purchasing it.

Attachments

• hr28.jpg
    hr28.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 17
BTW, what's wrong with using your MV in a primary donate setup? If it's just the yellow cover, a Mares dealer can order a black cover for that reg.

Anyway, I did a quick look at eBay.

Full regset with 2 Rovers (and a 2S which you can use as a paperweight) for $90 with shipping. The Rover is the same as the Prestige and in theory a better performing reg than your MV.

You can even get an extra updated black face plate for $29 with shipping so you'll have a spare stage.

Thanks, I really appreciate all the info Iowwall!

Any second stage will work. But it might need to be tuned for the slightly higher IP that Mares specs for the first stage to ensure it doesn't leak gas.

If you get one of the adjustable stages on your list, you might be able to do this without taking the reg apart. If you are getting it serviced anyway, the shop will do the tuning as a matter of course.
I'm not qualified to try anything on my own, so I assumed that whatever I go with (whether used or new) should be brought to my LDS along with my current setup to properly mate them together. I expect that holds true even if a brand new second stage?

My LDS actually just serviced everything a couple of months ago; I assume that although the MR22 and Abyss should be brought in so that the new second stage can be properly tuned, I would only need to pay for the servicing of the one new reg, vs paying more $$$ to reservice the recently serviced first stage... does that sound right?

But I'm sure you can find a Mares second for reasonable money. Post a Want to Buy here or check eBay. I see them all the time.
Because I wasn't sure what is or isn't compatible with the MR22, I was hunting ebay and elsewhere exclusively for standalone Abyss regulators, but all that I was finding was ancient ones from the 90s or ones that were $$$$.

BTW, what's wrong with using your MV in a primary donate setup? If it's just the yellow cover, a Mares dealer can order a black cover for that reg.
The color is my primary reason; I don't want a panicked diver grabbing at the necklaced' octo, however unlikely. A slightly secondary reason is just wanting to do an (affordable) upgrade over the MV so I can get a somewhat modest boost in performance should I actually need to use it. I know in a real emergency primary donate situation, I shouldn't care what I'm breathing from as we slowly ascend to the surface. I'll exclusively be in OW tropical situations.

That said - I didn't realize that getting a black cover for the MV via my LDS was an option. That would easily be the cheapest option and probably the best choice, especially if other options require servicing, LDS turnaround is at least a month, and I want to be diving ASAP, right? Could I simply swap the covers myself?

Anyway, I did a quick look at eBay.

Full regset with 2 Rovers (and a 2S which you can use as a paperweight) for $90 with shipping. The Rover is the same as the Prestige and in theory a better performing reg than your MV.
I was under the impression (from this thread) that the Prestige was the midrange workhorse but the Rover/Nikos were budget/rental quality. Am I mistaken and other than cosmetics, they are internally the same and perform the same?

You can even get an extra updated black face plate for $29 with shipping so you'll have a spare stage.
Similar to my MV faceplate question, is this something I can do myself as a noob or is this qualified Mares technician territory?

On a related note, because I'm switching to primary donate length hoses, is this something I can do myself, e.g., unattach/reattach hoses at both the 1st and 2nd stages if done carefully with a torque wrench, or is that still Mares technician territory?

Same thing, but the regular verson, not the deco version in your image. The faceplate is black not green. PM me if you are interested in purchasing it.

Thanks. I will certainly reach out if I'm not loving my other options.

If no one could accuse me of having a dog in this fight, I would tell you the following.

There is a physical relationship between any regulator with a smaller sized diaphram and breathing performance. That is why they are generally marketed as secondary not primary regulators. All primary regulators except the resurrected Mares MV/Dacor have a full sized diaphram. Their only redeeming point is that they are compact. But, if you wouldn't want to breathe off of one as a primary, you wouldn't want to breathe off of it as a necklace regulator in an emergency.

I can tell you that I would not accept a technical diving student or even a recreational rescue student with a Mares MV/Dacor or similar sized second stage. If you wanted to go a less expensive route, the Rover previously mentioned would be a much better choice than any of the small diaphram second stages.

I'm not qualified to try anything on my own, so I assumed that whatever I go with (whether used or new) should be brought to my LDS along with my current setup to properly mate them together. Does that hold true even if a brand new second stage?
Do you have a tank and are you OK with swapping stages and hoses? If you put it on a hose, attach it to a tank and it doesn't hiss, it should be fine. Otherwise ...

My LDS actually just serviced everything a couple of months ago; I assume that although the MR22 and Abyss should be brought in so that the new second stage can be properly tuned, but would only need to pay for the servicing of the one new reg, vs paying more $$$ to reservice the recently serviced first stage...is that right?
You are correct. You'll need to bring in everything, but they won't have to touch the other stages. They will service the second stage, which includes testing it by itself (if they have any sense, they will check the IP of your first stage and then use that for setting up your new second). As a final check they will hook everything up, attach it to an air source and then make sure it doesn't hiss :)

Because I wasn't sure what is or isn't compatible with the MR22, I was hunting ebay and elsewhere exclusively for standalone Abyss regulators, but all that I was finding was ancient ones from the 90s or ones that were $$$$.
You can use any Mares second with any Mares first. The IP spec has been the same since the first MR12. But, yes, I would personally stick to the current generation regs, Rover/Prestige, metal Protons, and post-2008 Abyss.

The color is my primary reason; I don't want a panicked diver grabbing at the necklaced' octo, however unlikely. ...
That said - I didn't realize that getting a black cover for the MV via my LDS was an option. That would easily be the cheapest option and probably the best choice, especially if other options require servicing and I want to be diving ASAP, right? I could probably swap the covers myself, right?
It's an easy swap, just the three screws you can see in the front of the purge cover. But it would be up to the shop to let you do it. Some simply won't sell you parts for DIY. Frankly it's a 2 minute job, they should do it for you for the cost of the part.

I am assuming they can actually get the part. The MV was sold as a primary second stage with a black purge cover, but I am not a factory tech so don't have access to all of their parts lists. The manuals I do have only cover the yellow version so I can't give you a part number. Ask your shop if it's possible.

I was under the impression (from this thread) that the Prestige was the midrange workhorse but the Rover/Nikos were budget/rental quality. Am I mistaken and other than cosmetics, they are internally the same and perform the same?

Similar to my MV faceplate question, is this something I can do myself as a noob or is this qualified Mares technician territory?
They are identical except for cosmetics. For example the latest service manual I have - https://lowwall.eu5.org/sm2022.pdf (starting at page 56) - titles the section "PRESTIGE - ROVER SECOND STAGES" for these regs.

It was a straight error on my part when I wrote the first posts on this thread. Unfortunately I can't go back on and edit those posts.

Swapping the covers is easy, There's a little plastic pin that needs to be carefully pried out because you'll need to reuse it and then it just unscrews.

On a related note, because I'm switching to primary donate length hoses, is this something I can do myself, e.g., unattach/reattach hoses at both the 1st and 2nd stages if done carefully with a torque wrench, or is that still Mares technician territory?

Swapping hoses is easy. You don't need a torque wrench. Get it finger tight and then add about 1/8 of a turn (half of a quarter turn) with the wrench. The o-ring makes the seal, not pressure from the threads, so you want it just tight enough that it won't unscrew by itself.

@lowwall Don't have my own tank, but can certainly head to the local lake and rent a tank. I've swapped out BC/SPG houses; I just wasn't sure if special care was needed when dealing with either (1) connections between the 1st stage and 2nd stage generally, or (2) switching to or from using Mares' 1/2" port on the 1st stage. If it makes no difference, I'm happy to do this myself.

If I go with the brand new reg route, I'll try hooking it up and hope for no hiss, and if there's a hiss, take it down to my friendly LDS.

I'll expand my search beyond the 2008+ Abyss and include the Rover/Prestige, metal Protons, etc. Are the covers between any of these generally able to be swapped with one another, or is it only within product lines, e.g. any Abyss cover with any other Abyss-family cover, Prestige covers for Prestige only, etc.?

@divezonescuba thanks, I appreciate the perspective. Sounds like I'm moving on from the MV either way. Again, I'm definitely keeping you in mind and reach out re that HR 2nd if necessary!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom