Why the Prejudice about DIR or GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Yes ... the Essentials DVD was a bit rough around the edges, and the Intro to Tech DVD was quite well done, and useful.

BTW - they're offered from 5th D-X, which is Andrew's new company ... not 5th D, which is a dive shop he is no longer affiliated with.

"Dress for Success" is also a good book, although it could've used a better editor. Dan McKay did a fantastic job explaining things ... to my concern, much better than JJ's "Fundamentals of Better Diving" book did, although they complement each other well in terms of explaining the basics of the DIR approach to diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

GUE. DIR, 5th D and 5th D-X. no wonder I am confused. Why don't they just spell this stuff out.

lamont:
JJ's book is more of a manifesto -- not so useful to tell you how to configure your gear or do the skills...

Just so I understand Dressed for success actually describes DIR techniques.

Boomer7:
The book focuses on the "what, why and how" of gear.

DIR techniques are about much more than gear.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

TheRedHead:
I was thinking more of basic recreational diving like this thread typifies:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=158667

In recreational diving you've got long hose vs. octo vs. air2 debates. There's the pony bottle and spair air debates, etc. It works just like the right/left lean/rich debate...

Boomer7:

Yeah like Bob said its more about equipment config. It does cover the how and why for gear, but it doesn't cover procedure. For procedure there's no good reference outside of taking the classes. You can hunt around the archives on the DIR forum on scubaboard and thedecostop and direxpolorers along with quest and gavinscooters archives and if you've got a decent internet b.s. filter you should eventually be able to figure out what the procedures are, but that's a very suboptimal way to go and there's a good chance you'll miss something important....

EDIT: oh, the 5thd-x videos are the best resource out there for procedure but it really doesn't explain all the 'why' -- Dress for Success along with the videos is probably as close as you can get to a DIRF class through media, but its no substitute for a class

lamont:
In recreational diving you've got long hose vs. octo vs. air2 debates. There's the pony bottle and spair air debates, etc. It works just like the right/left lean/rich debate...

The rec divers are going to have to invest $$ in changing their rig, which their OW instructors told them would serve them for 20 years. At least mine did. Tech divers should be used to spending more money on gear.

As far as deco bottle placement, the system I first learned involved pieces of green tape for O2 regulators, special mouthpieces and covers and a whole bunch of complicated stuff I found confusing. Deploying the bottle put the hose in a weird place in the front. When I saw the "other" method of marking bottles with only MOD and then using the 40" inch hose deployed behind the neck just like my primary reg, I immediately saw the advantages. The other issue is deco captainancy which is not very well accepted except maybe for PADI DSAT with the NOTOX protocol.

HoggieEater:
I've been meaning to ask you , was Jerry a diver?
Oh yes ... he and Kruetzmann were the original Grateful Divers ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

TheRedHead:
The rec divers are going to have to invest $$ in changing their rig, which their OW instructors told them would serve them for 20 years. At least mine did. Tech divers should be used to spending more money on gear. ...snip...
Luckily for me, I was good friends with the LDS owner and he sold me everything on the cheap..
well, he was the manager and he hated the owner...

HoggieEater:
Luckily for me, I was good friends with the LDS owner and he sold me everything on the cheap..
well, he was the manager and he hated the owner...

A lot of people are still pay monthly notes on the whole enchilada because they bought on the convenient time payment plan. They don't want to hear about gear changes and other methods.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom