Why the Prejudice about DIR or GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meng_Tze:
It depends what each of us consider 'safe' and yes, I agree with the last statement... it does come with the individual, not the agency. But if an agency historically had some highly visible individuals protrude arrogant statements, authoritatiran (maybe totalitarian) views and you couple that with impressionalbe individuals (I have no other way to put it than this), then you have the making of what we see today. In lesser measure today than in the past I must say.
With all due respect, some of the most arrogant people I have met in diving are LDS owners and old-timers who never tire of telling people how they've been diving for 40 years, and "in my day we had to do 100 pushups wearing doubles", etc. etc. etc.

Had one instructor get in my face at the very sight of my setup ... and (unsolicited) start in on how he doesn't need arrogant people telling him he's doing it wrong ... never mind that nobody had said one word to him about how he dives.

I've gotten way more unsolicited advice from old-timers ... many of whom have less actual experience than I do ... than I ever did from anyone associated with DIR.

It ain't about agency ... it's all about people who use what they do for recreation as a means of achieving self-esteem.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Man this turned to being a scorthcer. I went to bed at post 300 and got up to post 400.

I ve been trying to catch up. But basically the whole thing seems to still boil down to the 7 FOOT HOSE.

However, agency wars and situation scenarios are close second.

TheRedHead:
I think Lamont said he failed to put the bungee around his neck, but that would become quickly apparent during the S-drill.

Steve, I don't understand why the DM didn't remove the bungee from around the diver's neck before removing his rig?

Susan,

As Soggy said its hard to say without all of the details

I doubt that any incident near the surface would require a chamber ride, so there had to be some other event that transpired.

Where the buddy was or if there was involvment on that persons behalf is unknown

Could/should the DM have been able to get the bungied octo off first, only the DM can answer that question today. He had to get in the water to help and from the tone they took with me, it seemed that it was a very serious event.

The boat is tech friendly, the capt and dm are top notch.

I didn't inquire further as it didn't seem like a good time, however I am going to inquire next time I am on that boat. And yes, I would dive with them again.

Any questions or assumptions as to why the events occurred as they did would be just that, assumptions

my point was to offer a scenario where a bungie that wasnt removable could prove to be an issue.

Also as Soggy has already said these are our opinions, everyone needs to make their own decisions. The ability to make a sound decision is based on knowing as much as possible about potential issues.

Nope you can't solve every problem, you have to pick the ones that you want to prevent and plan accordingly, and hope the others never arise

Cheers

Bigcape:

I ve been trying to catch up. But basically the whole thing seems to still boil down to the 7 FOOT HOSE.

I really don't think it does. That's just what people immediately see and therefore focus on.

Bigcape:
Man this turned to being a scorthcer. I went to bed at post 300 and got up to post 400.

However, agency wars and situation scenarios are close second.

Yup, 400 and some odd posts and not many that actually addressed your original question. Lots of tangents about the merits of long hoses, bungeed octos, and DIR in general though.

However I'm willing to bet that you still got the answer you were looking for after all. :wink:

I use a harness with no quick releases so anyone who may have to rescue me needs to be aware that they may have to cut me out of the harness. My bungee is a natural color latex that is secured through the ziptie and could be broken with a good yank.

If you're working on a boat with tech divers, you need to realize that the equipment may be very different from recreational equipment and rehease these scenarios.

Dragon2115:
Yup, 400 and some odd posts and not many that actually addressed your original question. Lots of tangents about the merits of long hoses, bungeed octos, and DIR in general though.

However I'm willing to bet that you still got the answer you were looking for after all. :wink:

Or perhaps it is a question that requires a complex answer.

"All complex questions have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers".

:)

Soggy:
It sounds to me like lamont has a detachable bungee. Is that correct? Mine is firmly zip-tied to the regulator body.

No, the problem was that this was the third or fourth time we'd geared up, I was tired, and we skipped gear up checks and I missed it (and so did all my buddies). This is something we need to work on being more anal about...

This has, for me, been one of the most useful threads to date, thanks.

lamont:
No, the problem was that this was the third or fourth time we'd geared up, I was tired, and we skipped gear up checks and I missed it (and so did all my buddies). This is something we need to work on being more anal about...
Dude, if you get any more anal you'll be able to just loop your necklace around your crotch strap ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom