Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
We are not all tourists here, you know.

Of course we are, you mean. No one stays here forever and that's why solo diving should be more mainstream.

And THAT is your moment of ZEN.

oh yea. you are absolutely right.

Oh that was convincing! But I'll take any statement that says I'm right.

catherine96821:
Which is why it is fine. Just like what we do in Hawaii is fine. We are not all tourists here, you know.

So...how bout the snorkel law in Laguna beach..is that for the locals?
I consider myself Californian, BTW since I lived there longer than anywhere.

Dennis, I see a strong bias against our So Pacific dive style. Does Mike V post about how he dives? I can think of many others who just don't bother. The PNW-ers are one strong "lobby". Sometimes it seems like other dive styles are regarded as illegitimate children. They will even say "I don't care how YOU do it!" It is easy for me to get defensive.

Your comment about regaining your air supply with a paniced diver did not go over too well, I noticed. Public stonings ensue if you don't agree with the party line. I think most training could support a case for not letting a paniced OOA diver drag you to the surface. "put your o2 mask on the child first, and all that" "don't become a second victim, etc"

never mind that you did some insane number of dives last year, all over the world. I tend to pay attention to what you say.

I do believe that warm water diving with good vis is different than cold water low vis. I also think that we have adapted our style of diving to our conditions. For me, it is difficult to relate to the latter because it has been so long since I have done it but I see a lot of blanket statements made about all types of diving by people who do not dive in all types of conditions.

I was honest about the way I would have handled the run away OOA situation. I posted that I have ever had one but my gut reaction would be to pull it before we got to the surface. I think there are a lot of others out there that think the same way. I may do a lot of diving but I'll always admit when I don't know something and I'm willing to learn and I thought that the DCS risk was a lot higher than what was so bluntly pointed out to me. There is conflicting information there. I rarely dive with someone more than once where I dive, unlike a lot of people here who have regular buddies, it's a different situation and one of the reasons I solo most of the time.

I guess the point here is that we should take into account, as you pointed out, this is a global sport and where you spend most of your time diving may be far different than someone on the other side of the world.

"You are one smart girl Catherine. You know I feel the same way you and Nemrod do about solo diving. DIS..."

----and DIV, Do It Vintage, and DIS, Do It Solo, so howabout DO It Solo Vintage, DISV. I love all these cute abreviations. DISVWABKIR. Do It Solo Vintage With a Big Knife Is Right!!!!!!

Why is solo a big deal, let people decide for themselves. When I was a child my parents decided most things for me and that was wise but as an adult, I don't need PadI deciding anything for me.

N

The snorkel law is still in effect at Laguna as well as the "NO SOLO DIVING" law. Also, you cannot enter the city limits in a car valued at under $80K and you can only own toy poodles.

I hope we are not blurring the line between being qualified to dive and solo diving. I don't want to be associated with being against soloing...since I do it! "My hypocracy only goes so far..." (name that movie).

My certification point is based on any activity that may cause death or injury to ones self or others...flying an airplane, driving a car, operating on a patient, etc. These all require some level of instruction that does not come from observation or a video game habit.

There was a thread some time back discussing the obligation of an instructor to determine if someone is qualified to scuba dive safely. Grabbing a tank from a friend and jumping into the water bypasses that qualification/instructional system. Sure, maybe the breathing, swimming and ear equalization will come naturally, but what about knowledge of the dangers of quick assents, staying down too long, peeing in a drysuit...all of which can happen on the first attempt.

I am NOT for over-regulation. I hate the Laguna situation for many reasons. But until everyone develops common sense and knowing enough to WANT to learn the skills, I think the sport benefits from certification. We have all seen people with certs who should not be diving...now think if that barrier to entry is removed. Your DAN insurance would certainly go up, if it was even still available. That having been said, if everyone was as together as Catherine and many others on this forum (you know who you are) there wouldn't be an issue. However, it would be a mistake to assume everyone is as gifted.

Okay, this got too long and I cannot believe I (an ex-rock star, environmentalist, malcontent) am speaking on behalf of "THE MAN". What happened to me...I used to be so cool!:(

Jon

Doc Intrepid:
a guy who looks like he coated himself in aquaseal and rolled around in a dive shop

:rofl3:

Sorry, I completely forgot what the rest of the thread was about... this visual has completely blocked all cohesive thought!

. . .And of course the worst and most careless de facto Solo Divers are the Photographers (i.e. "Underwater Paparazzi") . . .:wink:

Nemrod:
"You are one smart girl Catherine. You know I feel the same way you and Nemrod do about solo diving. DIS..."

----and DIV, Do It Vintage, and DIS, Do It Solo, so howabout DO It Solo Vintage, DISV. I love all these cute abreviations. DISVWABKIR. Do It Solo Vintage With a Big Knife Is Right!!!!!!

Why is solo a big deal, let people decide for themselves. When I was a child my parents decided most things for me and that was wise but as an adult, I don't need PadI deciding anything for me.

N

I see that RAM went for $577 Nemrod. I passed because I'm getting a new set of Apeks for doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom