Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just pray I am in a car when nummynuts hits me.

Catherine says:

"The suburban American modern diver is not the whole dive community...this is an international board and I like to remember that the context of many diver's experience is much bigger."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catherine, once in a while, lol, you take my breath away, I love this statement above. Suburban helmeted soccer divers in maroon minivans with quadruple airbags and four point crash harness. You cannot live free if your afraid of death.

Ever see the movie "V for Vendetta" ?

N

no, but if you are recommending it, I will now.

Some people don't think I am so profound. I do just like to hear myself talk, that is probably the annoying part.

Solo diving is kinda the "last stand" for some.

those divers who have not had in the very least advanced and rescue have no business doing solo dives, advanced hones the training you received in ow and adds to it , rescue teaches self rescue and further advances your confidence and training without those two additional courses imo no one should even consider solo diving. when i took my ow course you couldnt take the advanced until you had at least 30 dives under your belt. Anyone that says they are experienced at 25 dives without the additional courses underestimates the training those courses provide. i went as far as dive master and no more just becuase i have no interest in teaching. with 3000 + dives and at least 1000 solo dives i feel that my level of experience makes me cautious not comfortable to dive solo. i dive for both work ( sea urchin / commercial diving) and recreational/pleasure diving. both are solo diving .

catherine96821:
no, but if you are recommending it, I will now.

Some people don't think I am so profound. I do just like to hear myself talk, that is probably the annoying part.

Solo diving is kinda the "last stand" for some.

Catherine: You pointed it out earlier, there are the folks who like to be part of the "team" and there are those who like to set their own pace and do their own diving in a quiet and calm way. And, of course, there are those who like to tell others how to do it. As mentioned multiple times, we are all "solo" like it or not.

catherine96821:
I used to dive there at my place on Catalina, and the divemasters did not even get in the water with us, rather "monitored" us from the boat. Is this still done?

That's still the way it's done in So Cal. But So Cal diving is mostly done by Californians. This isn't really a place large numbers of people go for dive vacations.

number one if you are going to solo dive practice donning and ditching all your own gear by yourself. in my line of work i see divers all the time getting help putting on tanks, gloves , masks. who on bottom is going to be there helping you do all those things? you have to be competent with your own gear to be able to remove it in say an entanglemet situation. i have been in three and every time i thank my lucky stars that i have been able to disentangle myself and remain calm. its all well and good to freak and puke yer guts out on the deck of the skiff . thank god for a cold beer back home.. i dive in a dry suit, in limited vis and cold water everyday that i dive. get to know your diving areas, your gear, and most importantly your limitations take care of those three things and you can dive safely for a long time .( by the way i have a lanyard on my knife so even if i drop it i can get it back in my hand.)

catherine96821:
It is upsetting when I feel the consensus is to take away that freedom. or to be critical. The suburban American modern diver is not the whole dive community...this is an international board and I like to remember that the context of many diver's experience is much bigger.

You are one smart girl Catherine. You know I feel the same way you and Nemrod do about solo diving. DIS...:D

pupdiver:
That's still the way it's done in So Cal. But So Cal diving is mostly done by Californians. This isn't really a place large numbers of people go for dive vacations.

Which is why it is fine. Just like what we do in Hawaii is fine. We are not all tourists here, you know.

So...how bout the snorkel law in Laguna beach..is that for the locals?
I consider myself Californian, BTW since I lived there longer than anywhere.

Dennis, I see a strong bias against our So Pacific dive style. Does Mike V post about how he dives? I can think of many others who just don't bother. The PNW-ers are one strong "lobby". Sometimes it seems like other dive styles are regarded as illegitimate children. They will even say "I don't care how YOU do it!" It is easy for me to get defensive.

Your comment about regaining your air supply with a paniced diver did not go over too well, I noticed. Public stonings ensue if you don't agree with the party line. I think most training could support a case for not letting a paniced OOA diver drag you to the surface. "put your o2 mask on the child first, and all that" "don't become a second victim, etc"

Never mind that you did some insane number of dives last year, all over the world. (I tend to pay attention to what you say.)

Back
Top Bottom