Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course, you are correct in most situations.

I know a couple guys I dive with and I am actually more comfortable with the freediver's ability than the Navy Dive School guy, much to my amazement. Seeing is believing sometimes.

BTW, I have never handed over gear to non certs. But, I would give one to Kurt and not worry. he is a PHD science student, and freedives to 130 ft,, does triatholons, etc. I just wouldn't worry a bit. I certainly understand if somebody else wouldn't... The point I am stressing is that there are other ways to size up people other than certification cards.

The way I consider a solo diver includes things that "proper training" doesn't address. For example, people will say "oh, you aren't a solo diver..you haven't been trained and you don't have a pony". But I am the one moving through the current and deciding that I will be dangerously heavy and encombered doing the diving I do....and that I believe I am safer at shallow depths with just my tank. So, listening to your own judgement about your physical linitations and style, is important. Actually feeling okay about going against the consensus. The same thing that some think makes us "dangerous" is the same quality that keeps us safe.

Catherine,

Would your criteria be different if you were back in So Cal. I wonder if the outstanding conditions in Hawaii could lead to getting a little too comfortable with this scenario? I think I feel "safer" diving Maui than I do here...and I know that is not true and possibly dangerous/foolish. I try to keep it in check during my visits...

What do you think?

Jon

I see no reason you should not be solo diving at your current experience level.

Of course, I also believe in natrual selection and survival of the fittest.

By all means... enjoy your solo diving.

Yes. California is a different climate legally and socially too.

I used to dive there at my place on Catalina, and the divemasters did not even get in the water with us, rather "monitored" us from the boat. Is this still done?

Hawaii and even more in the South Pacific islands, you will run into divers who have been diving their whole lives without any certifications. Now, some may not like that...but that is just the reality. When we go out three miles here, we see this one old 80 yr old guy freediving alone, off his little inflatable. Sometimes he has a tank...are we really going to judge a Hawaiian islander who has been doing this successfully his whole life? I think we should study him, and try to learn how he has survived his dives so well. Those guys have great wisdom.

It is upsetting when I feel the consensus is to take away that freedom. or to be critical. The suburban American modern diver is not the whole dive community...this is an international board and I like to remember that the context of many diver's experience is much bigger.

catherine96821:
I used to dive there at my place on Catalina, and the divemasters did not even get in the water with us, rather "monitored" us from the boat. Is this still done?
When I was there in Sept, thats how they did it. They never got into the water.

smokey braden:
is jiminy cricket being sarcastic?
Ummmm...its kinda obvious.

JeffG:
Ummmm...its kinda obvious.
I thought that was your job ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

JeffG:
When I was there in Sept, thats how they did it. They never got into the water.

SEE? now, go figure.

They have snorkel laws at Laguna Beach, but the dive guides don't get wet. Too many rules and regulations. I would like to toss them all and just let people decide for themselves what they are capable of, which training will help them, etc.

Jiminy Cricket:
I see no reason you should not be solo diving at your current experience level.

Of course, I also believe in natrual selection and survival of the fittest.

By all means... enjoy your solo diving.

Yeah, until your driving down the road and some dummy changes lanes "into" you and kills you, the fit one. But of course, there is no way to compare this to diving. You see, The fittest don't always survive when nummynuts can kill you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom