Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good enough for me! (Bob's post, that is. Although frankc420 has a point.)

We have had more than one local solo diver deaths in the last few years. Mostly from shore in shallow water with not much but sand around. Some were medical conditions, where a buddy may (or may not) have been able to rescue them.

There is no such thing as a benign underwater environment. You cannot breathe water. That's about as hostile as it gets.

frankc420:
Catherine is hot she can post whatever she wants!
Fair enough ... she can pick an argument with you, then.

I've got better things to do with my Internet time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Newlynarked:
So I ask again. What specifically have you seen happen in 30 feet of water or less that is going to kill me?!
Something most people don't give a second thought is the non-diving related problems like medical issues.
Something as simple as a leg cramp can complicate things very quickly. Something more severe like a mild heart attack that would otherwise be survivable becomes an instant death sentence. And no, 30-something is not too young for a heart attack. It can happen to anyone at anytime. My best friend started having chest pains at 80ft. Luckily we were able to get him back to the dock before the worst of it hit. If he had been solo, he definately wouldn't have made it. He's probably lucky it DID happen when diving. If the heart attack had hit him at home while he was in the back yard doing yard work, nobody would have even known, possibly for days.

PS When I taught my kids how to swim, I taught them to never swim alone. So I don't consider it to just be a diving thing. It's good water safety practice.

JeffG:
Well...You said something about Edmonton, so I have to assume Nadwidny is behind it. (That would be Brian Nadwidny)

I got kicked out because I made a joke that DIR was like Scientology :wink:
uhhmmmm may I have the joke, PM:D :D :D :D :D

NWGratefulDiver:
Fair enough ... she can pick an argument with you, then.

I've got better things to do with my Internet time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

hey, I thought you were going to ignore me?

Why don't you just drop it?

It would be pointless to list all the divers with buddies who have died because of them...

You anti-solo's love your anecdotal evidence.

Why do people get so worked up over solo diving. There is no proof beyond antedotal and here say that there is any significant greater danger to the solo diver than a buddy diver. These threads always go the way of MOFH and DIR and pony bottles and snorkels--some people think one way and some people the other way.

For me, observing people over years in and around the water, some people inately have a hard wired deeply rooted fear of the water. Some people just do not have this deep seated fear. I think this subconcious fear or lack thereof has an impact on our rational and irrational reactions to solo diving. Often these arguments come down to safety, well, my answer is, you guys be safe, I want to live dangerous and die free. N

well, nemrod. You won't have your boots on, you know?

I know it...it is the craziest thing to me. I was honestly just trying to understand it in a rational way. I think the thread has been reserved for the "why not" side, which is fair. But when I listed reasons like "not in shape" "your family upset" "bad viz" I was told my reasons were kinda silly.

Solo divers know the reasons and they are not the ones being described, IMO. If those were the reasons, we would never do other things far more dangerous.

I would offer a tank to a great freediver, tell him to stay shallow and be pretty comfortable about it if he was in good shape and comfortable in the water, the conditions were good, and he was a smart, together guy. I worry most about out of shape people at risk for MI and people who don't respect the ocean's ability to change quickly. Those are the two categories I consider who should not solo, without working on those two things first, myself included. Being strong enough (or knowing your limitations), and being perceptive enough about the conditions. I have taken courses but none have helped me with those two things as much as being alone and relying on myself, allowing myself to take bigger steps, once I have mastered certain things. You are right though. There are two basic groups of people team, herd, group people. And lone rangers who still like to "socialize". I am always alone down there, essentially.

I hope I have politely voiced my thoughts.

catherine96821:
I would offer a tank to a great freediver, tell him to stay shallow and be pretty comfortable about it if he was in good shape and comfortable in the water, the conditions were good, and he was a smart, together guy.

A rare difference of opinion with you Catherine.

I draw the line at handing over gear to non-certed folks, no matter how well I know them or how comfortable they are in the water. There are dangers even in shallow water for someone unfamiliar with scuba gear (I know you know that) and I would not want the liability nor the guilt should something happen. I've seen a few students who went through the classes and first dive who got into trouble on the second dive.

If someone wants to join the party, access requires a cert. IMHO

Back
Top Bottom