Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeckyll:
I really don't know why this is turning into a 'motorcycle vs diving' safety thread.

What risks or perceived risks you may take in other hobbies is completely unrelated to the risks I am willing to take in diving.

I'm glad you feel that your diving is safer than your riding, but it really has no impact except perhaps to yourself.

I'm not looking to do any "risk averaging" across hobbies. I don't think anyone else is either. And it has nothing to do with the OP's question.

So, keep the rubber side down and Dive safe & Dive often :)

Bjorn

The point of my is not to compare degrees of risk between different activities but to point out how different indivuals perceive risks and that the perception may not be the reality. It does affect the poster's question if the advise given him is based on perception rather than reality.

Charlie59:
Ha Ha Bob, Mike says your mom wears army boots too (my interpretation)
Well ... she used to ... :D

But OK ... I haven't spent much time in that forum.

At any rate, I really don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about solo diving in and of itself. I do it myself sometimes ... enjoyably so, in fact. It's very peaceful and uninhibiting. But discussing the merits of solo diving is like discussing the merits of deep diving or deco diving ... rather pointless without some context around which to base the discussion. My first question would be "Why do you want to?" and the discussion would be based around your reasons.

Otherwise ... what's to discuss?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

captain:
The point of my is not to compare degrees of risk between different activities but to point out how different indivuals perceive risks and that the perception may not be the reality. It does affect the poster's question if the advise given him is based on perception rather than reality.

In that case, a more apt analogy may be to compare a new diver diving solo to a new motorcycle rider starting on a 1000 cc sport bike.

It may all be fine, but in both instances things can go from bad to really bad in a hurry.

Better to start out slower, like on a 500 cc bike and learn more about how things work, before starting on things that require more experience and consideration.

There, now I really am done talking about bikes. Mine's off the road for the winter and I'm itching to get back on. :eyebrow:

Bjorn

Maybe the question should be why would you want to learn to depend on a buddy or group to dive to start your dive career? HMMM, I like that question.

We have a name for motorcycle drivers around here, organ donors.

Charlie59:
Maybe the question should be why would you want to learn to depend on a buddy or group to dive to start your dive career? HMMM, I like that question.
It's a good question ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nothing is better than sitting on the Prince Albert in CoCo View by yourself watching all the little critters swim by. Heck, I happened upon some squid on safety stop. Solo diving is just alright with me. Next stop, AOW class!

Charlie59:
Nothing is better than sitting on the Prince Albert in CoCo View by yourself watching all the little critters swim by.
Well ... to each their own. Personally, I found way better dives in Roatan than the Prince Albert.

Charlie59:
Next stop, AOW class!
:confused:

Trollin' ???

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Maybe you didn't do it solo enough. And yes, capital t troll.

Regardless of how long you've been diving or how experienced you think you are; There is always a situation out there that you haven't run into or may be ill-prepared for. And no diver on earth is infallible or incapable of bad judgement.

Be safe, dive with others! :14:

I dive solo alot, yesterday i did a solo ice dive (with surface support and life line of course) tommrow im doing a solo boat dive. The only reason i do this is because i have no dive buddy in my area there isnt many divers. Id dive with a buddy every dive if i could but i dont so i Solo.

And yes i carey two knifes always. and keep it to shallow water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom