Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
You aren't up for an argument?

I thought it was a friendly debate.

You have a boulder on your shoulder.

Did I change anything critical? s-o-r-ry.

I have no bad feelings towards you Bob. I do think you can be a big baby at times.

yea, that's right...I think the "ignore" button is for weenies.

I have never even known anybody that uses the ignore button. But, I guess you will report me for saying that.

Catherine: You just forgot to know who is the "Instructor" and who is "Mr. Cool" It will all work out with or w/o the "ignore" button. IMHO we are always solo diving on the surface and in the water. It may be nice to think, and talk and talk and talk about the "team" and "trim" etc. In the end we are on our own. Better to be aware.

mdb:
we are always solo diving on the surface and in the water

And people who don't understand that point are dangerous to themselves and to the people they dive with.

Being solo can happen at any time. Look down to watch an eel or take a picture and your group or buddy can be the equivalent of miles away. If you can't deal with it you may be screwed.

Diving alone is just diving alone and no great crime against the sport or humanity.

Vayu:
Solo driving shouldn't be done :)

Not even in a parking pool.
.....why?????

catherine96821:
really?

easy. Some people say that even if they solo themselves, it shouldn't be "approved of" on a public board, because this might encourage someone not ready to do it, to solo, and maybe have a bad outcome.

But we don't act like this about motorcycles, or things WAY more risky. It is very curious. Motorcycles are just the analogy chosen.

I am amazed on some level every time I cycle ten miles that I am still alive. Every time I go out, some really careless person pulls an outrageous move that I try to dodge. I am seriously thinking about giving it up, near my house and only riding on the base. When I solo, I do not feel (and rightly so) that I am risking death to as big of a degree. Not even close! No contest!

yet, not one person has every said "you know, maybe you should not ride on that road". yet people fall all over themselves about solo diving. They have the best intentions, of that, I am sure. It is just very interesting the reactions.

I find myself wondering about the emotional element that is very clearly there. Is it a peer, collective opinion? Is it their own fears? Is it a hold over from the "don't swim alone" dogma we all grew up hearing at camp?

Am I the only one curious about this? I respect people who don't solo...no problem.

I'm reading this post and I think the people here are saying:
You need some training to dive Solo and condemned who doesnt have esperience.....after 20~25 dives.

Solo diving. Hummm Team diving, Insta buddy diving. Here is something to debate. Just an observation.

Mind set, heatlth, fitness, gear, training, experience etc...all play a major role in diving. regardless.

Solo diving gives you freedom. You worry only about yourself. You know your limitations and dive within them. You also make a dive plan and dive your plan. You depend on yourself to get your self out of any given situation..You should be properly trained to dive solo.

Team diving. Gives you freedom. Diving with regular buddies with whom you know and are configured the same, trained the same way and all have the same mind set , gear etc...Is the best possible redundancy you can have. Knowing your team will react as you would in any given situation regardless of dive profile, gives you the freedom so you can enjoy your dive and share the experience.

Insta buddy diving. I rather solo dive. Thanks.
reason. Simple. Diving with someone I do not know gives me the willies. not knowing how they are or how they react makes the dive experience a little worriesome. Thus increases stress levels. Not everyone is a bad instabuddy but I am sure there are stories to tell.

So what can be drawn from this observation about solo diving. Solo diving can be benificial to those that are trained properly. Anything can happen on any dive regardless if your solo or not. Even the most experience divers can screw up. Solo or otherwise.

Peace

Azotino:
I'm reading this post and I think the people here are saying:
You need some training to dive Solo and condemned who doesnt have esperience.....after 20~25 dives.

Come again? No maka any sensa ???

I think he was saying your mom wears army boots.

Charlie59:
I think he was saying your mom wears army boots.

I'm just glad I have never experienced the wrath of them.

NWGratefulDiver:
Why? That wasn't the purpose of this thread ... nor my reason for participating in it. If I wanted to argue with you about the merits of solo diving (which I don't) I'd do so in the solo forum.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually the solo forum is for people who have already decided to solo dive. Any discussions about its merits should take place elsewhere.

Taken from the sticky in the solo divers forum:

If you have come here to ask if solo diving is for you, then you are in the wrong forum. It is NOT for discussing the merits of solo diving or for telling people what to think about it. If you want to know if solo diving is right for you then it's better to ask this question in the Basic Scuba Discussions, New Divers or other appropriate forums.

Nothing against you Bob, I just get a little worked up when people start discussing whether or not to solo in the solo forum and I don't want anyone coming over there to do so. Its like the people who argue against spearfishing in the underwater hunting forum.

Mike

Ha Ha Bob, Mike says your mom wears army boots too (my interpretation)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom