Why doesn't the USA adopt officially the metric unit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesnt metric/imperial only referr to length, volume and mass?
Energy = joule, Temperature = centigrade or Kelvin, Heat = calories and so on. The metric system is a wonderful system and way easier than using our more arbitrary system. In fact, it is SOOOOO easy that it is sure to rot your brain! :D

Energy = joule, Temperature = centigrade or Kelvin, Heat = calories and so on. The metric system is a wonderful system and way easier than using our more arbitrary system. In fact, it is SOOOOO easy that it is sure to rot your brain! :D
we dont measure energy in joule, we dont commonly measure engine power in kw, we dont use kelvin....

Kelvin, joule and a lot of other measures are mainly used in science...
IIRC, referred to as the SI system?

How many Briggs and Stratton engines have you bought with a KW rating? Or just check this advertisement: New Products: Baldor Electric Company, a leader in energy efficient electric motors, linear motors and adjustable speed drives industry They don't give us the range of their motors in KW put in pure HP! Perhaps they are referring to Metric Horses though! :D

Uhh, Pete, did you look at the ratings on the Baldor motor's spec pages? Baldor Products Page
They're all given in hp and kw. And with good reason...it's easier to add up total KW when sizing a genset or transformer. Yeah yeah,...divide by 746....
Briggs and Stratton?....I ain't mowing lawns...I'm pumping water. Hah.

Uhh, Pete, did you look at the ratings on the Baldor motor's spec pages? Baldor Products Page
They're all given in hp and kw.
Briggs and Stratton?....I ain't mowing lawns...I'm pumping water. Hah.
I think it's great that they have BOTH, but they are advertised as fractional horsepower. Call them with the KW rating, and I bet they will be confused. Give them the fractional rating and I bet that they will send you the right pump!

PS, if you really want to pump water and don't have a long enough extension cord: MultiQuip QP305SLT High Pressure Dewatering Pump at Southern Tool Catalog (that's an 11 HP Honda motor, too!)

we dont measure energy in joule, we dont commonly measure engine power in kw, we dont use kelvin....
Then what measurement do you use? Are you suggesting that these are somehow NOT part of the metric system?

Kelvin, joule and a lot of other measures are mainly used in science...
IIRC, referred to as the SI system?
A calorie is defined as the heat needed to raise on CC of water one degree centigrade (or Kelvin) (not including phase changes).

PS, if you really want to pump water and don't have a long enough extension cord: MultiQuip QP305SLT High Pressure Dewatering Pump at Southern Tool Catalog (that's an 11 HP Honda motor, too!)

Put about 200 of them in place and it'll be equal to one of our farm pumps. That little squirt gun wouldn't fill one of our ponds in a month. :D We do about 220,000 liters per minute....I mean 60,000 gpm..:shakehead: with 186 kw pumps.

Calorie is not a unit of SI, we also use joule (J) for heat.

Very good reference, although there is one minor error I noticed. Mass is not weight. Weight is a function of mass and gravity. A 1 kilo item will still have 1 kilo of mass when it's on the moon, but it's weight will be reduced to approximately 1/6 its weight on the Earth's surface. The actual metric unit for weight is not grams, but newtons. I know in practical usage, everyone uses grams. The Imperial system uses pounds to measure weight, not mass. While we typically convert kilos to pounds and back, technically it's not correct. The Imperial unit for mass is the slug.

Very good reference, although there is one minor error I noticed. Mass is not weight. Weight is a function of mass and gravity. A 1 kilo item will still have 1 kilo of mass when it's on the moon, but it's weight will be reduced to approximately 1/6 its weight on the Earth's surface. The actual metric unit for weight is not grams, but newtons. I know in practical usage, everyone uses grams. The Imperial system uses pounds to measure weight, not mass. While we typically convert kilos to pounds and back, technically it's not correct. The Imperial unit for mass is the slug.

Good observation.

There was a * next to mass (weight) that referred to a FAQ page which had the explanation of mass and weight differences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom