Why doesn't the USA adopt officially the metric unit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember as a youth when all our road signs were in mile. They made the change in the mid or late 70's. I dont know what the costs were but if Canada did it, I'm sure our rich neighbour could afford it too.
As I mentioned before, we did it in Alabama, at great expense. Finished the project just in time to have to tear all the metric signs down. Thankfully we hadn't already taken the normal ones down yet.
It isn't a matter of "affording it."
It is a matter of preference.
Rick

driving on the wrong (left) side is where I draw the line :D
When I lived in Europe I heard a saying I liked... "In England they drive on the left; here they drive on the right; on Malta they drive in the shade."
:)
Rick

Driving on the left lane is based in the history of presenting your sword arm to oncoming travelers in case they turn out to be hostile.

Now we use guns, so it doesn't matter which side of the road we're on :wink:

Now we use guns, so it doesn't matter which side of the road we're on :wink:
In Canada? I didn't know you guys were gun crazy too.

Most people are right handed/sided so the original logic still applies. Being the stronger side in many ways it makes sense to have it as the point of contact to the outside - the left being held more private, and therefore protected.

As for the metric thing.....

It took me a REALLY long time to get an appreciation of temperature in Celsius rather than Fahrenheit. Weight was easier, money was a cinch. Distance makes MUCH more sense in kilometers (miles take so much longer to drive and are relatively rather boring). The kicker is scuba though.

People who try to defend psi/tank contents over bar/liters just make me smile!!! :rofl3:

Sorry....ya'll do what you want! :D

Aussies still use swords (well, big knives in fact)

scout2_film.jpg

australie2_film.jpg

People who try to defend psi/tank contents over bar/liters just make me smile!!! :rofl3:

Sorry....ya'll do what you want! :D
There ye go!
I will say that for scuba, using liquid volume and atmospheres is a whole lot easier than using psi and expanded gas tank volume - and the happy accident that an atmosphere of sea water pressure is about 10 meters depth makes "scuba math" mighty easy.
But I still think in CFM :)
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom