Why doesn't the USA adopt officially the metric unit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I still think in CFM :)
Rick
And if that's how you learnt it, it's probably really hard to feel comfortable with it another way....even if it IS logically easier. :D (and you're SO right......how the heck did 1 ATM come even close to 10 meters!!!!! :lotsalove:)

I forget the exact reasons they fed us in the UK to justify the change to metric. Probably EU uniformity stuff.
Being from an Army family I was exposed to far more "left side/right side...liters/gallons...kilometers/miles....kilos/pounds etc etc, as we lived in Germany for a reasonable part of my youth - while I went to school in the UK (think....riding a bicycle left at school, and right on holiday.....school buses left...my Dad's car right...etc)

It can't have been that easy for your average Brit though......

At least the European attempt to equalize volume has been denied and the British "pint" is staying!

Some things are just sacred...even if they make no real sense.

and the happy accident that an atmosphere of sea water pressure is about 10 meters depth makes "scuba math" mighty easy.
Rick, it has long been my contention that metrics rot your brain! :D Air conditioners work better when they run on BTUs!

Air conditioners work better when they run on BTUs!
Actualy....mine runs a LOT better on our solar panels on the roof....... :wink: It's funny how electricity has always been measured in metric AFAIK....kilowatts.... (OK....now tell me America is different!!! :D)

Actualy....mine runs a LOT better on our solar panels on the roof....... :wink: It's funny how electricity has always been measured in metric AFAIK....kilowatts.... (OK....now tell me America is different!!! :D)
Sure... our motors are STILL rated in horsepower. Argh, argh, argh, argh, argh! Metrics are for wimps AND they rot your brain! :D

I forget the exact reasons they fed us in the UK to justify the change to metric. Probably EU uniformity stuff.
It can't have been that easy for your average Brit though......
Probably not as traumatic as when the early '70s transition to metric currency. :D

12 pence to the shilling and 20 shillings to the pound may be awkward, but that's what people were used to and it took quite a few years for some people to get used to the new pence. It was even more confusing to me as a visitor when people would sometimes quote prices in new p, and sometimes in shillings.

Except for the issue of sovereignty, I think the UK going over to the euro would be easier than the move away from shillings.

Sure... our motors are STILL rated in horsepower. Argh, argh, argh, argh, argh! Metrics are for wimps AND they rot your brain! :D

I don't know about Florida...:D...but every motor I've bought...and that's a lot of them for 15 different shrimp hatcheries over 30 years, has KW along with hp (750 watts) as the power rating.

You either have a huge solar array or a very small A/C.:wink:

Doesnt metric/imperial only referr to length, volume and mass?

The word "kilo" has nothing to do with imperial or metric, but ammounts?
kilo = thousand, mega = million and so on?

Doesnt metric/imperial only referr to length, volume and mass?

The word "kilo" has nothing to do with imperial or metric, but ammounts?
kilo = thousand, mega = million and so on?

yep, length, area, volume and mass

I don't know about Florida...:D...but every motor I've bought...and that's a lot of them for 15 different shrimp hatcheries over 30 years, has KW along with hp (750 watts) as the power rating.
How many Briggs and Stratton engines have you bought with a KW rating? Or just check this advertisement: New Products: Baldor Electric Company, a leader in energy efficient electric motors, linear motors and adjustable speed drives industry They don't give us the range of their motors in KW put in pure HP! Perhaps they are referring to Metric Horses though! :D

Back
Top Bottom