Why doesn't the USA adopt officially the metric unit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snap On (Fall off), Mac, Matco as well as some specialty tools. When I had them appraised (about 17 years ago, when I moved into this house), the insurance company set their value at $65,000+! That's 25 years of tool collecting! :D

Oh man, my insurance guy flipped when I told him I wanted additional content coverage for the tools (after 30yrs of collecting and a home shop) he had to come over and photgraph everything. He was in my garage all day! :wink:

Dave

Oh man, my insurance guy flipped when I told him I wanted additional content coverage for the tools (after 30yrs of collecting and a home shop) he had to come over and photgraph everything. He was in my garage all day! :wink:

Dave
Mine did too... I think I estimated it at $20,000 or so and they were incredulous. They sent in an appraiser and he spent a little over two days documenting everything. I am glad I didn't have to pay for the appraisal! :D Funny thing though, it really didn't increase our insurance that much.

Mine did too... I think I estimated it at $20,000 or so and they were incredulous. They sent in an appraiser and he spent a little over two days documenting everything. I am glad I didn't have to pay for the appraisal! :D Funny thing though, it really didn't increase our insurance that much.
And your estimate was pretty far off too? So incase something happens, youd be pretty glad they sent the guy i guess?

Oh yeah, I am SOOOOO glad that they sent the guy. Sometimes things just creep up on you, like my tool collection. I can only wonder what it's really worth NOW.

Oh yeah, I am SOOOOO glad that they sent the guy. Sometimes things just creep up on you, like my tool collection. I can only wonder what it's really worth NOW.
Yeah, it sure does.
I saw a very true and thought provoking add for an insurrance company the other day, it was a simple one-line add..
"You own more than you think. Is it properly insured?"

back to topic please :wink:

I know I may/will get many report hits with this one but I just had to show it. Beside, it's on topic after all.:D

In 1969 the British government established a Metrication Board to promote wider use of the Metric System. As part of this effort, the United Kingdom Metric Association and the Construction Industry Training Board distributed a series of posters to promote wider understanding of the metric system. One of these is reproduced here as a public service, to remind people of simpler times when even government agencies were not shy about promoting a good cause using attention getting methods. It depicts a bikini-clad gal with her measurements boldly indicated in centimeters on the left, and in inches on the right, in subdued grey. She quickly gained the affectionate name "Miss Metric
missmet4.jpg

back to topic please :wink:

I know I may/will get many report hits with this one but I just had to show it. Beside, it's on topic after all.:D

In 1969 the British government established a Metrication Board to promote wider use of the Metric System. As part of this effort, the United Kingdom Metric Association and the Construction Industry Training Board distributed a series of posters to promote wider understanding of the metric system. One of these is reproduced here as a public service, to remind people of simpler times when even government agencies were not shy about promoting a good cause using attention getting methods. It depicts a bikini-clad gal with her measurements boldly indicated in centimeters on the left, and in inches on the right, in subdued grey. She quickly gained the affectionate name "Miss Metric
missmet4.jpg
Except from the fact that the measures to the left is NOT cm but MILLImeters...

And btw.. for some reason pants are measured in inches here, but bras are measured in cm/cup size??
How weird is that? I mean, the girl could be a size 32/34 (inche) in pants and all of a sudden shes a 85C (85cm, C-cup) in bra..
Consistency is overrated!

Me, too. The biggest hassle I lived with along those lines was a Dodge Omni O-24. The car was "made in America",.......... The engine was a VW Rabbit engine from Germany.

The engine & power train was all metric. The chassis was SAE. Well, mostly, it seemed that there was always an exception waiting to be found.
I can feel your pain. For about 10 years I had a '72 Saab. Just the opposite of your Dodge Omni.

The Saab 99 body was metric from Sweden. The engine was from Triumph in the UK. Saab thoughtfully provided a wrench set that included all the oddball sizes used on the engine, such as 9/16 and 5/8". They didn't bother to include wrenches for the metric hardware. :D

My '72 Dunstall Norton had Metric, English and Whitworth fasteners.

<snip>English.......fasteners.
:shakehead::shakehead::shakehead: In England, fasteners are parts of a ladies bra that you learn to undo as a teenager!!! :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

Why are you Yanks constantly re-inventing the wheel? Do you really think it turns better? :rofl3:

Well....at least you've never been good enough at optics to screw up focal lengths for camera lenses! Isn't inconsistency a wonderful thing!!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom