Why DIR doesn't work for me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
BTW... how do you deal with a drill bit? :D
You mean you don't know? Who did you have for an instructor, geez!

Well drilling bits are why you're supposed to dive a metal backplate :)

Roak

Jonathan,

I keep my shoulder straps just loose enough so I can get in and out comfortably. The looseness of the shoulder straps is irrelevant (to a degree, of course) as long as your waist strap and crotch strap is snug. I can take my harness which is adjusted for my drysuit and underwear and use it in the pool without adjustment.

Just loosen the straps until you can get in and out comfortably. The rest of your concerns are no biggie, and are common for people who haven't tried it. If you're struggling, something ain't right.

:)

Mike

*WHEW*!!
I was worried about them things (drill bits).
Got nailed in the back of the hear with an anchor once, so I don't like to worry about stuff dropping on me.
Looks like Fred's going to have to make me a full length backplate now...:wink:

I like DIR in principle.
Stream lining makes sense.
However I'm not a purist.
I have 6 D rings.
I don't wear Jet fins, they won't fit over my drysuit boots.
I have rubber fin straps. In 25 years I have always found the straps fail when you put them on.
I carry spairs, already threaded through buckles, quicker to install on site.

I wear a backplate and wing, I am a wreck diver.
I have a 2 inch quick disconnect on my left shoulder strap. I wear my light cannister on my right, clipped to my backplate, not my waist belt. I position the switch on the bottom so I can reach back under the cannister and activate it. I carry my light in my right hand, w/Goodman Handle.
I have an air integrated computer on my left side,on a retractor and analog console on my right (redundancy) clipped to my front waist D ring.
I use a 7 ft hose, laced around my neck,(during penitration dives) on the left post of my doubles, my octopus is on a necklace around my neck. My back up regulator is on the right post of my doubles manifold, the 2nd stage is in a yellow keeper, clipped to my right chest D ring.

My lift bag is stowed in a sleeve, clipped on my right, beside the cannister. My reel is clipped my right rear waist D ring when not in use.

As a wreck diver I must carry all my gas with me.
(If you disagree read "The Last Dive")
My deco bottle gets clipped to my left chest D ring and left rear waist D ring.

My Argon bottle is clipped to my backplate left side, I have a back up inflator hose on my primary regulator, under my left shoulder strap. (I'm Canadian, we dive all year round)

My back up mask goes in my right thigh pocket.
My cylume stick, tables and Jon line go in my right waist pocket(two compartments, zippered).
My left waist pocket is not accessible if I'm carrying a deco bottle, so in it goes, my spair car key.

I wear a flip slate on my left forearm.
My spair light is clipped to my waist belt with fastex type connector, and I also have a mini Q40 clipped to my mask.

I still wear my knife,on my right inside calf.
I've seen too many divers sheathing thier knives firmly into thier suits. I can reach my calf and I can see it when I return my knife to it's sheath.

For single tank non-deco dives, I drop the back-up reg and deco bottle.

I don't wear a crotch strap, never needed it, my buddy does however.

This configuration works for us.

Mike:mean:

OK I have to ask. I would say other newbies reading are asking the same questions (but if not it would not be the first time I was the only one in the dark). WHAT IS A ROLL OFF? I appreciate your responses.

Chad

Chad,

Regarding roll-offs.....

I'm not speaking from experience...I've just read about the term many times

In overhead/penetration diving (wreck or cave), the potential exists with doubles for one of the tank valves to get turned all or partially off via contact of the valve handle with the wreck/cave wall/ceiling/floor/etc.

-LD

Thanks large_diver,

I know someone would clear that up. It makes sense now that I know.

Chad

And because a recreational rig uses a left valve (right post), it won't roll off unless you do a lot of swimming backwards :)

So this is a problem that's specific to the right valve (left post) of doubles.

Roak

I saw the cutest thing today on my way home from Ginnie. Walking down the sidewalk in Gainesville were about 14 schoolgirls all dressed up nice and neat with their matching skirts touching their knees, matching blouses, and matching socks. It was very easy to distinguish the girls of that school from the other children that I saw on the street.

DIR isn't for everyone but I hope the strong advocates of it here dive safely and always stay within their limits. Driving by the little school girls today, I realized that I was attempting to dissuade someone from a safe configuration to another equally, although less uniform, configuration.
Cheers guys, and as always, dive safely and within your level of training. I've gotta go diving.

sherpa

OK - when I get my BP back (left it in the UK!) I'll have a go with the single continuous loop thing.....

I still think I would be kicked out if I did go completely DIR as I would want to continue to dive with my "stroke" friends and buddies...... Is that strcitly adhered to?

I think there is a lot to be said if you are diving beyond recreational diving that if everyone is set up the same it would reduce the stress in an emergency situation.

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom