Why DIR doesn't work for me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Jonathan
OK - when I get my BP back (left it in the UK!) I'll have a go with the single continuous loop thing.....

12~13' should do.... be sure to use a crotch strap...

I still think I would be kicked out if I did go completely DIR as I would want to continue to dive with my "stroke" friends and buddies...... Is that strcitly adhered to?

Kicked out of what by who??? Is what strictly adhered to???
If you mean kicked out of DIR... you misunderstand what DIR is.
If you mean kicked out by your non-DIR buddies... it depends on how you come across to them....
If by strictly adhered to you are asking if DIR divers dive with non-DIR divers... some do and some don't... I do but pick my dives :wink:

I think there is a lot to be said if you are diving beyond recreational diving that if everyone is set up the same it would reduce the stress in an emergency situation.

Actually there are some DIR practices that are wonderful in the recreational setting too!

Originally posted by Divesherpa
I saw the cutest thing today on my way home from Ginnie. Walking down the sidewalk in Gainesville were about 14 schoolgirls all dressed up nice and neat with their matching skirts touching their knees, matching blouses, and matching socks.

Works for the military too... not always as cute though...

That's where I lost my desire for "uniform"ity.

I miss the toys, especially now that I dive mostly Open Circuit.

quite the opposite, but dealt with uniformity when necessary. Not that I'm a nonconformist, I simply no longer conform unless I agree with the reason for conformity.

OK change kicked out to blackballed or ignored - what I am talking about is that one of the articles on DIR I read said DIR divers should only dive with other DIR divers.

I guess that is OK when doing tekkie dives but does that mean that if you consider yourself a DIR diver you should never dive with "strokes"? Perhaps I am being overly sensitive as I just get worked up by the name but I was leaving that out of this thread.

As others I do already encorporate a number of the DIR methods - but by no means all.....

Jonatan

Originally posted by Jonathan
OK change kicked out to blackballed or ignored - what I am talking about is that one of the articles on DIR I read said DIR divers should only dive with other DIR divers.

Why should that matter... If I get blackballed or ignored by other divers... well I didn't want to dive with them anyway :wink:

But seriously I know what you are referring too.... remember that the genesis of DIR is with the WKPP and the *rules* are their rules... if you are not aspiring to the WKPP then don't let their rules bother you... they have their reasons (good ones) but that needn't concern you... or maybe ....

I guess that is OK when doing tekkie dives but does that mean that if you consider yourself a DIR diver you should never dive with "strokes"?

Let me put it this way... I don't care how you classify yourself or what acronym you use as your mantra.... don't dive with someone who will be a liability and put you in danger... if you must, then mitigate the danger by changing the dive plan and make sure you have the resources to match the liability.

Perhaps I am being overly sensitive as I just get worked up by the name but I was leaving that out of this thread.

Get over it...

As others I do already encorporate a number of the DIR methods - but by no means all.....
Jonatan

Good... but knowing the reasons for the configuration & proceedures is essential and that is the key that most internet *DIR* divers are missing...

And be aware that many things DIR work in concert...
Picking & choosing (especially without understanding) can lead to less than optimal diving...

Bless You....

I agree with UP on everything he said. I'll dive with just about anyone on recreational dives. I'm pretty choosy for the deeper stuff, and look for a DIRish mindset more than anything with very similar gear and configuration for such dives. 99% of my deeper dives are with the same buddy who is configured virtually identically to me.

Don't sweat the small stuff :).

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom