Why buy Vyper when there is the Mosquito?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomcat

Reaction score
I was comparing the features of the Mosquito and Vyper recently and it seems that with the exception of a built-in simulator and an extended decompression range (which you shouldn't have to use anyway if you're a regular rec diver), the Mosquito can do everything that the Vyper can at a much more attractive price.

What's up!? Why would someone buy the Vyper now?

I went with the Mosquito for the same reasons. I had a Cobra and sold it on eBay so I could get it. I like the Mosquito a lot and it seems to do everything a rec divers needs and more. I got the Mosquito w/the PC interface and it works out great. You can even 'bookmark' certain events in your dive to record later!

I guess you asked why get the Vyper over the Mosquito, I can't answer that one. :wink: Actually... I've HEARD they're ditching the Vyper and replacing it with the Stinger. Also, the Stinger will only be available in the Titanium model.

As always, JMO.
Chris

hey chris,

now that you mentioned that they're gonna ditch the vyper, everything makes sense. with the vytec coming out as the new Suunto top of the line computer, everything falls into place. vyper/vytec, heck, even the naming makes sense, since the vyper used to be their top of the line computer. jeez, that was only 3 years back wasn't it? time does fly. i'm getting old!

It does make sense, and in the world of computers, 3 years is a very long time... :) I guess it's nice to see change, but even better to see that they like to keep things similar. That tells me that it works and people are happy with it.

After a lot of searching and discussions here I went for the mosquito and I am really happy with it.... after reading the whole manual I learned that the Mosquito can offer more than I was hoping for especially in decompression diving that i really hope that i will never need to use !!!!

Manogr

Why on God's earth would you sell a cobra for a mosquito????

don't make no good sense to me but OKEYDOKEY....

My Error!
I have been looking into the Cobra for so long I typed that instead of Vyper.

My fault, I meant I had a used Vyper and got rid of it for a new Mosquito.

I can see why you would be confused!

I can think of a reason to skip the mosquito, in low viz the small display is difficult to read. Due to that I have a suunto spyder (precursor to the stinger/mosquito, air only) that sits on a shelf that I no intention of doing any diving with. The backlight button is also small and I found it difficult to use with thick gloves and the computer depressed into the folds of a drysuit. I bought a new computer with the biggest display I could get and buttons on the top.

To my mind, the stinger/spyder/mosquito has a place as either a backup that is used rarely or in clear, warm water.

JoelW

p.s. I have a spyder with interface that I would let go for a decent price, batteries just replaced.

In my quest to get gear that I won't have to resell on Ebay, I've been seriously considering the Vyper (to the point of getting quotes and everything :) )

I just pulled up Suunto's Vytec announcement, and noticed that it didn't have any dates associated with general availibility, and that there was no other info on the site.

I'm not in a huge rush to buy a computer, so does anyone have an idea when the Vytec will be available?

Also, I've been told that the Suunto RGBM might or might not be buggy (although this person told me that the Vyper had multiple models, and Suunto's literature would indicate this is not the case with the Vyper), and that its SI model was too aggressive. Can anyone confirm or deny this? The person may have been referring to old Suunto comp models, which is fine, but I'd hate to get a computer with known issues.

Jeff

Bigger numbers for the hard of seeing. Plus the bar graphs are easier to read. It didn't cost me any more than a Mosquito, so price wasn't a factor.

Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom