Scubapro G3 testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That G3 screen is as confusing as heck. Instead of redesigning it to be friendlier, it just looks like they shrunk a Galileo to fit a watch face. Ugh.
You just can’t beat the visual interface. SP’s look ancient what with the wasted screen real estate and clumsy design.

You are being so unfair in your criticism of the G3. The screen @lexvil is showing is a screen he chose from the various screen options the G3 offers to the user. With the G3, and other SP dive computers, you can change what the screen displays in one screen. You can chose to show little, more and most information in one screen.

You are being so unfair in your criticism of the G3. The screen @lexvil is showing is a screen he chose from the various screen options the G3 offers to the user. With the G3, and other SP dive computers, you can change what the screen displays in one screen. You can chose to show little, more and most information in one screen.
You may be “right” but they’re barely selling any of these clunkers. Just spent two days with two very unhappy SP Plat dealers. These things are hardly racing off the shelf. SP had a chance to compete with Garmin, SW, Ratio etc. Instead they introoduced another clunker with an old time screen. Until they break the Uwatec/Aladin mould, they’ll continue to produce computers that look ancient with relics of their 1990s features.

You may be “right” but they’re barely selling any of these clunkers. Just spent two days with two very unhappy SP Plat dealers. These things are hardly racing off the shelf. SP had a chance to compete with Garmin, SW, Ratio etc. Instead they introoduced another clunker with an old time screen. Until they break the Uwatec/Aladin mould, they’ll continue to produce computers that look ancient with relics of their 1990s features.
Yet they function well, it’s hard for a big corporate owned company to adapt, how long until SW suffers from corporate profit motive?

Yet they function well, it’s hard for a big corporate owned company to adapt, how long until SW suffers from corporate profit motive?
That’s an argument for the Capitalism forum. Who knows? All we know is that for some strange reason, SP produces superb innovative diving equipment except for dive computers. With such a loyal fanbase, you would think that they would have come up with something interesting. Instead, they’ve allowed smaller companies to fly past them with better and better looking products.

Their low end computers served only one real purpose: So that customers could satisfy the requirements of the PFL program. Most were then dumped on eBay.

That’s an argument for the Capitalism forum. Who knows? All we know is that for some strange reason, SP produces superb innovative diving equipment except for dive computers. With such a loyal fanbase, you would think that they would have come up with something interesting. Instead, they’ve allowed smaller companies to fly past them with better and better looking products.

Their low end computers served only one real purpose: So that customers could satisfy the requirements of the PFL program. Most were then dumped on eBay.
How these businesses operate is pretty odd but the circle continues, independent innovators design something well and it draws the attention of the $$ holders who buy it and then make moves to profit.

In the past we would see something like Shearwater buying aqualung so they could sell b/c’s and regulators.

You may be “right” but they’re barely selling any of these clunkers. Just spent two days with two very unhappy SP Plat dealers. These things are hardly racing off the shelf.

Perhaps the dealers you are associated with are unhappy but the dealers/distributors I am friends with here, several from Europe, are excited about them. In fact, I found out not too long ago that the HUD is very popular with PSD, military, photographers and other specialized type of divers.

Is there room to improve, sure but there always is. I talk to very experienced and veteran dive shop owners in the US who are considered "successful" Dive shop owners and have been for decades. They all complain about how terrible dive business is this year compared with shiit last 2-3 years. They are not necessarily SP dealers BTW, they actually represent the entire spectrum of common brands in US.

Perhaps the dealers you are associated with are unhappy but the dealers/distributors I am friends with here, several from Europe, are excited about them. In fact, I found out not too long ago that the HUD is very popular with PSD, military, photographers and other specialized type of divers.

Is there room to improve, sure but there always is. I talk to very experienced and veteran dive shop owners in the US who are considered "successful" Dive shop owners and have been for decades. They all complain about how terrible dive business is this year compared with shiit last 2-3 years. They are not necessarily SP dealers BTW, they actually represent the entire spectrum of common brands in US.
I agree about the state of the overall dive market but I would be interested to see a chart of dive computer sales by brand for the last three years. I counted 44/60 divers using Shearwater computers at a dive resort last week. The rest were a mix of Mares, Aqualung and SUUNTO. Not one SP.

I counted 44/60 divers using Shearwater computers at a dive resort last week. The rest were a mix of Mares, Aqualung and SUUNTO. Not one SP.

Were they all from the US or were they from all over the world?

Were they all from the US or were they from all over the world?
It was a Canadian resort that has exactly 60 divers. Who counts people’s dive computers at a resort?

I love the wristwatch style. However it seems SP is using a low resolution display. All fonts have pixelated portions. Is it correct or just an effect from picture?

I'm new diver and studying g3 or tern tx bundles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom