Why are so many folks selling their Teric?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seriously? You are comparing GI3 toWWM? Give me one classic WWM quote.

OK, I'm game. Who has the better trim? My nickel is on GI3. You?

Kiss a duck? Goddam right!! As long as the duck went everywhere that this one did and is backed up by one of the very best instructors I've ever encountered:

View attachment 577430

Since you didn't ask, a great instructor is one who puts himself into making you much better than you were when you first darkened his/her doorstep.

I'm done with this. To the casual reader: All old divers aren't wizards, age buys you nothing in this sport. I'm not even close to a wizard, but I personally know a few who are...

I see the great big dog leash, on which end of it are you?
Been there, done that, now for the last 23 years I use cave line under ice.

Michael

How long are people going without recharging the Teric when worn purely as a watch between dives? Thanks in advance. Any idea how that compares to the Garmin Descent as purely a watch?
Purely as a watch, I prefer my Garmin Fenix5 (same as Descent minus dive computer) to the Teric. I can see texts and calls, track steps, exercise, maps, etc. It does a lot more than the Teric is capable of. I'm considering trading the Garmin in for something 'smarter' yet, maybe a Samsung watch. The Teric, though nice, really doesnt compare as a daily use watch.

I see the great big dog leash, on which end of it are you?
Take your pick, I'm no stranger to either end.

I have no problem with someone who prefers cave line, but that is a purely recreational approach to ice diving. Try cave line with Butch Hendrick as an instructor. I earned a couple of certs from him, too.

I'm not getting into a pissing contest as I don't choose sides. I know those who I like (and learn from) and TRY to ignore those who just enjoy being a burr under someone's saddle.

I'd keep a ScubaBoard list of "good guys and bad guys", but even Staples doesn't have enough erasers to keep that list current...

I have several people on ignore because the information they sprout is usually garbage , most of whom have little to no knowledge of which the speak or experience of said topic , and if all knew what credentials they have would laugh them off the air .....with everyone cooped up they will more ignores attached by me im sure

What kind of real world times are people experiencing between charges? Specifically, I am wondering about life as purely a watch. I love the Teric display, but I am debating between getting one now or waiting for the Garmin Descent MK2.

I have 2 Terics. And a Predator controller on my rEvo, a NERD2 (w/Fischer cable), and a Predator (w/Fischer cable) (backup for the NERD2). In the past, I have also had a Petrel 2 and a Perdix AI.

I took my Terics on a weeklong liveaboard in the Bahamas last summer. I used one and had the other one there just as backup, in case the primary died.

I started the week with the them both fully charged. We were generally doing 4 or 5 dives a day (depending on whether we did a night dive). After the 3rd day of diving (IIRC), my Teric was down enough that I could tell I would need to charge it before the week was over, so I went ahead and charged it that one night, and that was it for the week.

When I got the first Teric, I tested wearing it all day as a watch (no diving). I think, again, if I recall correctly, that I could go about 2 days (50 hours) with the screen on all the time (except for its auto-shutoff while I was sleeping), using it as a watch before it needed to be charged.

All that said, my SOP is to have my phone charger next to wherever I sleep and to set my phone in the (wireless) charger every night. If I'm on a dive trip, adding the Teric charging cradle next to the phone charger and topping it up every night is really perfectly easy and fine - and ensures I won't have it die during a dive day, ever. Not even if I forget to charge it one night and have to dive 2 days in a row without charging.

Zef...

Over priced/over-hyped/bug ridden...
[snip]
What does it tell you when you are using any company's service department with that level of frequency that you get to know everyone there...not a product I'd want anything to do with...

But...please feel free to make your own choice/decision...and to proceed as you see fit...

W...

Warren,

What bugs?

The only consistent I have seen is people with battery issues. I am actually in the process of sending my first Teric off now for that. It no longer holds a charge like it should. And, really, I can probably really only say that for certain because I have 2, so I can compare them. Without the 2nd one, I suspect that I would just be using the one and thinking "that's how it is." Because, even like it is, it still holds a charge PLENTY long enough to charge it fully and dive it for a couple of days.

So, though it is a "problem", since it's not a problem that would cause me to ever miss any dives or thumb any dives - unless I just really screwed on keeping it charged - I really don't see it as a big deal. I send it off, they fix it or replace at no charge, and send it back. I have not and will not miss any dives or have any dives cut short.

Also, I am on a first-name basis with the Shearwater repair department. And, normally, I would agree with your sentiment on that. However, my familiarity with them is not any fault of Shearwater's. It is because the first time I jumped in the water with my rEvo, I did not have the battery compartment cover on the Predator controller screwed down all the way and it flooded. But, I am happy to report that the "repair department" fixed it to like-new for a very reasonable (in my opinion) price and had it back to me in 2 weeks. And we're now on a first-name basis because they are just that friendly! :D

Lex...

I have never...ever...experienced a fault of any type with my chosen brand of DC...and I've been diving with what could be termed as ''modern'' dive computers since 2006...

As far as Shearwater ''experience''...with all the fault concerns that have been reported as it relates to the TERIC...as close a relationship I want to have is...''once told...twice shy...or how about...''you've been warned''...

Again, we all know about some battery issues. What other elements are there in your assessment as "fault-ridden"?

I gather that the bugs you are referring to are all things that you have no personal experience with, correct? Just things that you read on the Internet?

I'm also curious, in general, how many people don't like the Teric because of its screen size - and have actually dived it?

I saw a post or two in this thread from people who said they had a Teric and sold it because they prefer the Perdix. But, I saw a LOT of posts dismissing the Teric for its screen size. If you were one of those, have you actually dived one? And if you had a Teric and sold it to buy a Perdix, did you ever dive a Teric and a Perdix at the same time?

I owned a Perdix AI and my first Teric at the same time, for a while. I dived them both together a number of times.

I wear reading glasses in the +2 - +2.5 range (I have numerous pairs, all over the house).

I run my Terics in Normal mode (versus Big), so they have 4 rows of info on the screen.

I do not have corrective lenses of any type in any of my masks (any more - I used to before well before I got the first Teric).

I sold the Perdix AI and bought a 2nd Teric for several reasons, but also because I did not find the Perdix to be MORE readable than the Teric. Maybe, AS readable. Meaning, with no reader lenses in my mask, I can/could read either one - sometimes with a bit of squinting and arm-stretching - but nothing major. I agree with a previous poster that said the OLED screen on the Teric makes it more readable than the LCD screen on a Perdix. That also makes me really appreciate the OLED screens on my Predators, but that is neither here nor there.

I attended the Boston Sea Rovers show last month and spent some time comparing the two at the Shearwater booth. I also had the opportunity to play around with both in Roatan over Xmas. After much deliberation at the show I ended up purchasing a Perdix AI with transmitter.

While I think the Teric is an outstanding piece of kit and Shearwater a fantastic outfit, I had a few reservations about the Teric that kept me from pulling the trigger, and maybe some are why other people are selling? Most of mine are personal.

1) Charging. I've noted from the comments above and elsewhere that the Teric is difficult or problematic to charge and/or doesn't hold charge well. The Perdix AI takes AA batteries, and the transmitter takes CR2 batteries. The AAs are available anywhere on the planet, and CR2s are available at most hardware or drug stores. If I have a low or dead battery, I can swap out the Perdix AAs in a dry area on deck in 2 minutes. If I can't get my fancy computer to successfully charge using its own dock, my fancy computer isn't going into the water with me to do its job.

2) I consider all parts of my dive gear as tools to ensure both my safety and my enjoyment. I don't particularly think they need to be good looking (I certainly am not!). That being said, I got the nagging feeling that a SR design component of the Teric was 'status symbol' or 'sexiness.' The fact that one of SR's sales points of the Teric is wearability as a watch out of the water bothered me. Only ego-driven divers would make the 'wrist jewelry' element of a dive computer a priority. A dive computer shouldn't be 'bling' nor should it be marketed as such.

3) Servicing. I make electronic testing equipment for a living and I'm a big fat SOB. My customers note that my products are fairly large for what they do, and my response is that since I'm building them, I need to be able to get my big old mitts into the guts of the equipment to work on them when they go wrong (I always say 'when' not 'if'). Everything eventually breaks and needs to be worked on, and if you've been around boats or marine equipment for long enough it's doubly/triply true. The Teric is tiny (it really is the size of a wristwatch) and in the effort of making it very small format, they've made it difficult to service. I can open up the Perdix and immediately see how everything is setup and configured. I wouldn't dream of repairing my own dive computer, but being able to effectively see a problem is often the missing link during troubleshoot.

4) Screensize. This is definitely personal, but the Teric screen is laughably small when you compare it to the Perdix. An AMOLED display is all well and good, but my goodness is it small! I'm 40 and I know my eyesight is already poor, and not likely to improve anytime soon. While the Teric display is colorful and customizable, it just doesn't hold a candle to the Fisher-Price-like bold and clarity of the Perdix.

5) Price. At ~$1200 for the Perdix AI w/ transmitter), and ~$1400 for the Teric w/ transmitter, these computers are already in a price bracket than a lot of divers will want to spend. So what does that $200 buy in a Teric? An AMOLED display and a vibration feature from what I could see. I hate 'beeping' as much as everyone else, but my iPhone has vibration features too and I hate it.

6) Size. I'm a big galoot. My gear is also big. I can locate a brick-like Perdix in my gear bag. I fear I would lose my Teric.

I attended the Boston Sea Rovers show last month and spent some time comparing the two at the Shearwater booth. I also had the opportunity to play around with both in Roatan over Xmas. After much deliberation at the show I ended up purchasing a Perdix AI with transmitter.

While I think the Teric is an outstanding piece of kit and Shearwater a fantastic outfit, I had a few reservations about the Teric that kept me from pulling the trigger, and maybe some are why other people are selling? Most of mine are personal.

1) Charging. I've noted from the comments above and elsewhere that the Teric is difficult or problematic to charge and/or doesn't hold charge well. The Perdix AI takes AA batteries, and the transmitter takes CR2 batteries. The AAs are available anywhere on the planet, and CR2s are available at most hardware or drug stores. If I have a low or dead battery, I can swap out the Perdix AAs in a dry area on deck in 2 minutes. If I can't get my fancy computer to successfully charge using its own dock, my fancy computer isn't going into the water with me to do its job.

2) I consider all parts of my dive gear as tools to ensure both my safety and my enjoyment. I don't particularly think they need to be good looking (I certainly am not!). That being said, I got the nagging feeling that a SR design component of the Teric was 'status symbol' or 'sexiness.' The fact that one of SR's sales points of the Teric is wearability as a watch out of the water bothered me. Only ego-driven divers would make the 'wrist jewelry' element of a dive computer a priority. A dive computer shouldn't be 'bling' nor should it be marketed as such.

3) Servicing. I make electronic testing equipment for a living and I'm a big fat SOB. My customers note that my products are fairly large for what they do, and my response is that since I'm building them, I need to be able to get my big old mitts into the guts of the equipment to work on them when they go wrong (I always say 'when' not 'if'). Everything eventually breaks and needs to be worked on, and if you've been around boats or marine equipment for long enough it's doubly/triply true. The Teric is tiny (it really is the size of a wristwatch) and in the effort of making it very small format, they've made it difficult to service. I can open up the Perdix and immediately see how everything is setup and configured. I wouldn't dream of repairing my own dive computer, but being able to effectively see a problem is often the missing link during troubleshoot.

4) Screensize. This is definitely personal, but the Teric screen is laughably small when you compare it to the Perdix. An AMOLED display is all well and good, but my goodness is it small! I'm 40 and I know my eyesight is already poor, and not likely to improve anytime soon. While the Teric display is colorful and customizable, it just doesn't hold a candle to the Fisher-Price-like bold and clarity of the Perdix.

5) Price. At ~$1200 for the Perdix AI w/ transmitter), and ~$1400 for the Teric w/ transmitter, these computers are already in a price bracket than a lot of divers will want to spend. So what does that $200 buy in a Teric? An AMOLED display and a vibration feature from what I could see. I hate 'beeping' as much as everyone else, but my iPhone has vibration features too and I hate it.

6) Size. I'm a big galoot. My gear is also big. I can locate a brick-like Perdix in my gear bag. I fear I would lose my Teric.

Honestly, and no offense intended, that sounds like the summary of someone who has not actually dived them both - or at least not dived them both together, at the same time. And who does not understand 100% of everything about the Teric. But, it also sounds like someone who is quite happy with a Perdix AI and that is all that really matters. The Perdix is a great computer. Enjoy!

Regarding Teric battery issues: I sent my first Teric off last Friday to get it looked at because it was not holding a charge as well as it should. Plenty well enough to use it for several days in a row. Just not as well as it SHOULD. Mainly, an issue of running down when stored. Not an issue when actually using it over the course of a dive trip.

Anyway...

I mailed it last Friday and it is currently estimated to be delivered back to me this Thursday. They turned it around in one day.

They called me to let me know the results of their analysis. They replaced everything inside the watch case.

What they told me is that mine was one of the earliest ones. They have since changed the way they test them. The change in testing resulting in changing the circuit board inside. The new circuit board connects to the OLED display on the opposite side. So, changing my circuit board meant they also had to change the OLED display. So, they replaced the entire guts.

From a couple of posts I've seen here on SB from other Teric owners, I expect that my "new" Teric will be totally solid for diving AND for extended storage.

@stuartv
That makes sense. Mines newer, got it late last year. It's been stored since just before Christmas and still has 40% charge remaining. When I dove it, I was getting quite a few days of long dives with it. It helps to turn the screen off when not in use.

@stuartv
That makes sense. Mines newer, got it late last year. It's been stored since just before Christmas and still has 40% charge remaining. When I dove it, I was getting quite a few days of long dives with it. It helps to turn the screen off when not in use.

If you set it down and leave it, the screen will turn itself off after about 20(?) minutes or so.

Back
Top Bottom