Who much space do you allow between BP/W shoulder straps and your chest?

Who much space do you allow between BP/W shoulder straps and your chest?

• 1 finger

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • 2 fingers

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • 3 fingers

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • 4 fingers

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • 5 fingers

Votes: 19 30.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never really measured the gap. I generally wear mine what I would describe as very loose. As long as it can't fall completely off my back should I turn on my side or some other weird thing, that's about right. Sometimes I splash with it a tad too loose and have to tighten it up underwater. Sometimes I splash with "good enough." It always feels tight on that boat with a full lp108 and steel plate strapped to my back :).

Aaaaah, yes. @Compressor
But.....is your question really "Specific?"
Are you also asking for replies about potential problems "if." the webbing is too loose. Excuse, my grammah. :wink:
Cheers.
The guy in that video states that the way he often sees straps routed is wrong, but he doesn't explain why. In my estimation, there is some wiggle room for different routing, as not every diver is shaped the same. It would have been nice if he had explained the reasons why he thought that certain routing paths are wrong.

That aside, I run my shoulder straps looser than most people here have described. But I also have a cross chest strap that pulls the two together & takes the slack out. I find that this works well for me. I find it more comfortable. I find it gives me more freedom of motion at the shoulders & it holds my rig more firmly in place, even when diving with steel 120 tanks.

I’ve never actually measured it. I’m guessing in the 3-4 fingers range. I am curious now though...I’ll have to remember to “measure” that on Friday.

Perhaps the important rule of thumb here in all of this discussion is, if there are any doubts, go loose on the shoulder straps but snug on the crotch strap.

Finger width - That's not how you measure the proper fit of the webbing. I just bought a new BP/W. I kept tightening the webbing until it felt good during the dives. Finger widths had nothing to do with it.

The crotch strap and waist belt pull the plate down and in. The shoulder straps need not be particularly tight because of that, as the slack gets pulled out. I fit about a fist in on each side, and it’s rock solid no matter what my orientation is in the water.

My fist + a wee bit more.
I like it a bit loose so I can take it off easily on the surface especially on rough sea.

Finger width - That's not how you measure the proper fit of the webbing. I just bought a new BP/W. I kept tightening the webbing until it felt good during the dives. Finger widths had nothing to do with it.
Finger widths are a good quick indicator of how much slack you have in the straps. I agree with you that fitting for a proper feel is more important, but once you have done that, the finger trick can be a handy tool for quickly setting up a rig & getting it close to right on the first try on subsequent set ups.

View media item 209703Good morning. Probably the thing that I love most about S.C.U.B.A. diving is the variables. Are you considering a backplate with a solid one piece length of 2" webbing? I have a setup like that, and would (for me...) allow approximately 3 inches. View attachment 611717
I think arm length would also be a factor. At 6'3" 250lbs. I have a 74 inch reach and have struggled on occasion getting my elbow through while doffing.
(In water/ Underwater.
Donning my gear is often not an issue.
I also have (2) Apeks harnesses that have 2 quick release shoulder View attachment 611716 buckles, one on each side.
I "Solo." dive very often and tend to use the harness with the quick releases. If, I have a problem, and want to take my BP/W off....?
I want it off "Now."
I understand there is a need for safety, and self reliance, yet, I would consider this a matter of comfort, and personal preference.
Cheers.

that wing is on backwards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom