Who much space do you allow between BP/W shoulder straps and your chest?

Who much space do you allow between BP/W shoulder straps and your chest?

• 1 finger

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • 2 fingers

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • 3 fingers

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • 4 fingers

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • 5 fingers

Votes: 19 30.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Fingers vary in length based on body habitus and which digit we are talking about however 0.75 to 1 inch is a typical width. For the ease of answering, I just use finger width.

Too tight of webbing and it's tough to put the BP/W on and too loose and it has its own problems.

Thought I had my BP well-adjusted but recently had an objective re-fitting with @custureri and learned a turned fist at the nipple line is a good benchmark.

Eased valve manipulation of my left post (bit of left shoulder ROM limitation).

View media item 209703
Fingers vary in length based on body habits and which digit we are talking about however 0.75 to 1 inch is a typical width. For the ease of answering, I just use finger width.

Too tight of webbing and it's tough to put the BP/W on and too loose and it has its own problems.
Good morning. Probably the thing that I love most about S.C.U.B.A. diving is the variables. Are you considering a backplate with a solid one piece length of 2" webbing? I have a setup like that, and would (for me...) allow approximately 3 inches.
P_20191027_195822_vHDR_Auto.jpg

I think arm length would also be a factor. At 6'3" 250lbs. I have a 74 inch reach and have struggled on occasion getting my elbow through while doffing.
(In water/ Underwater.
Donning my gear is often not an issue.
I also have (2) Apeks harnesses that have 2 quick release shoulder
P_20190917_092249_vHDR_Auto.jpg
buckles, one on each side.
I "Solo." dive very often and tend to use the harness with the quick releases. If, I have a problem, and want to take my BP/W off....?
I want it off "Now."
I understand there is a need for safety, and self reliance, yet, I would consider this a matter of comfort, and personal preference.
Cheers.

Thought I had my BP well-adjusted but recently had an objective re-fitting with custureri and learned a turned fist at the nipple line is a good benchmark.

This is my understanding as well... A closed fist should fit between the webbing and chest at a level somewhere between the nipple and armpit.... I think it's a common mistake for folks to adjust the harness too tight.

We all do things a bit different; no issues with that my friends.
I enjoy seeing the diversity in people's rigs.

My questions is specific though. So I'll leave it to the question and see what people do.

My questions is specific though. So I'll leave it to the question and see what people do.

Fair enough, I voted 3 fingers, because that most closely matches the thickness of my closed fist.

Fair enough, I voted 3 fingers, because that most closely matches the thickness of my closed fist.
yea I use a fist and I would say 4ish?

most ill fitting harnesses are too tight in the chest and too loose in the crotch strap, the crotch strap is used to pull the shoulders tight

Aaaaah, yes. @Compressor
But.....is your question really "Specific?"
Are you also asking for replies about potential problems "if." the webbing is too loose. Excuse, my grammah. :wink:
Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom