Mulling over BP/W options...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got word from the LDS; they carry a select Hollis collection, but can get anything they sell. So they're 'on the table' as an option.

In Post # 19 of Recommended Technical Harnesses and Wings, @eelnoraa noted:

For Hollis, just don't do it. Their stuff is very expansive for the quality you receive. Plus their inability (even they are actually willing to) to support their products makes ownership very frustrated especially at their cost. I have nothing but regret with their regulators, canister light and a set of bp/w, which at this point, I no long have anymore. Their resale value in used market also stink.

That thread dealt with technical diving, and I'm just recreational diving, but good to know. And of dmaziuk's comment regarding the OMS soft stabilizing adapter:

I have one, it works better than the tiny one "built-in" my Hollis 25 wing.

Dive Right In Scuba's Hollis package page reviews suggest some found the inflator hose to be too short and thus would need to replacement; that's also an issue with the OMS wing from that I understand, and if I want to use my Air2, I'd need to replace it anyway.

In Posts #2 & 3 of BP/W - APEKS vs Oxycheq,

The Apeks wing certainly looks to have a non-standard dump valve, which would prevent you from replacing it with the very nice one from DSS. There was a discussion about this on the Apeks forum not too long ago. The hose is overly long too, again probably with non-standard fittings.

I've noticed that as well. I was told that it is a proprietary dump valve system and the hose is made specifically by Apeks because it is different from the regular rubber or miflex hose.

I'd probably go on, but our 5-year old demands attention. Later.

Richard.

Apeks uses the seaQuest inflator and dumps that are shared with aqualung bcds. Northeast scuba supply has the parts if you need to replace them.

The oms plate didn't quite matchup with the apeks wing I have. The Hollis and dive rite plates do.

2018-10-10_07-02-06.jpg
if I want to use my Air2, I'd need to replace it anyway.

I run an air 2 on the stock hose that came with my 38 lbs Hollis wing and it is just fine.

Dive Right In Scuba's Hollis package page reviews suggest some found the inflator hose to be too short and thus would need to replacement; that's also an issue with the OMS wing from that I understand, and if I want to use my Air2, I'd need to replace it anyway.

That looks like a newer Hollis wing than what I have: camband slots are wider. (Good thing too because on mine they didn't fit the plates and I had to DIY a little.) On my wing the corrugated hose is long enough and I never had a problem with hose length on any rental regs so far -- but it looks like not the same wing and I don't have an Air2.

I saw one mention about a Hollis wing suggesting the inflator comes off the middle, not the left shoulder. A prior point indicated the left shoulder would be preferable for me. Can anyone confirm whether Hollis wing inflaters come off the middle, vs. the left shoulder?

Richard.

On my S38 Hollis wing, the inflator is biased to the left side. If you have any specific questions of things you'd like to see in the set up, I'd be happy to take some pictures when I get home from work tonight.

In the interest of fleshing out the options in this thread for others who may use it to discriminate between products, in 2017, tbone1004 (Post #2) in Single Tank on a Dive Rite Transplate noted

the classic is really not the wing you want to be using with a single tank since it is intended for doubles, and contrary to what Dive Rite or anyone else says, when used with a hard backplate, the dive rite plates really do need a STA. The main issue is the grommets make the tank sit on something incredibly small on the spine and prone to rolling around.

While I'm pulling it out of context from that discussion into this one, it suggests if I went with a Dive Rite single tank wing, I'd need an STA. Not sure whether the OMS soft stabilizer would handle that or not.

I plan to do some more reading on Hollis wings vs. the Apeks PSD version (for toughness). Ironically, from what ronsongas posted, if I got an Apeks PSD, I might need a Hollis AL BP, since I don't think Dive Rite has an AL BP and the OMS didn't quite match up. Unless a Zeagle would? I don't know about that...

Richard.

As I mentioned before, the dive rite exp is really sturdy. When used with a transpac soft plate, the tank is perfectly stable even though these have no STA rubber tubes on the wing (nor the plate). And that is so even with the 15liter scubapro tanks, which weight close to 55pounds when full...

Did you look at the halcyon carbonfiber plate with integrated STA ?

I am not myself diving metal plates, but I have a hunch that stability comes mostly from having a belt that rests on the hips. This is also crucial on the surface when you carry, especially if you have a herniated lumbar disc (which is the case of 30% of the population) you dont want to carry with the shoulders. When I look at backplates that are about 39cm high, I cannot help but think that it is impossible to have both easy access to your valves and a proper waist belt position. Unless you are Danny DeVito. A waist belt that is too high but tight enough to stabilise would IMO restricts deep ventral breathing, which is detrimental to air consumption and increases the risc of getting out of breath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom