Mulling over BP/W options...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich,

The good thing about a BPW system is that it's so customisable whatever the manufacturer of the bits you choose.

Good luck with whatever bits you choose, and have some great dives with it.

Someone on the thread suggested I look at Hollis (which I don't think the LDS carries); online I saw mixed reviews. I

That was I. The Hollis set up does meet all your requirements and I have been very impressed with the quality of the parts I have. What I haven't been as impressed with is Hollis as a company. Some stuff I ordered was backordered with no eta, etc. They definitely aren't the cheapest products if you buy at MSRP either.

I am very happy with my purchase and would do it again. I wouldn't rule their set up out if you found a competitive price.

One of tbone's posts mentioned the OMS Soft Stabilizing Adapter, which for close to $20 adds tank stabilizer function to a wing that lacks that feature, but that means two more screws in the rig, that in theory may work themselves loose, etc...

I have one, it works better than the tiny one "built-in" my Hollis 25 wing. For screws working themselves loose, there's nyloc nuts at your nearest hardware store.

Edit: it's spelled "nyloc" apparently.

Any thoughts on the disadvantages on going with a soft back plate instead of an aluminum one

Richard

I use a soft plate Transpac. I dive it with 15L steels (Similar to yoru HP120/130) with no stability issues

Depending on exposure suit. I might have zero weight or some, in which case I have 2 weight pouches on my cam bands. This is also enough for the weights if I'm diving Ali

You can also get integrated weight pockets to fit on your waist belt. Dive Ritte make them. I have a pair I used on my winter harness in addition to teh pockets on the cam bands for when I need the additional weight for a drysuit (this rig has a SS plate but it doesn't matter)

A sI say I dive both soft plate and hard plate and find them perfect. I've configured each differently to my needs. That's the important bit. You can configure to your needs and desires and the type of diving you do.

What ever you chose dont'; let tit become the focus. It's only a tool to assist you to enjoy your diving experience

I know a dive shop not too far away where I looked at some gear recently; when I asked about BP/W options online, I was told "We carry Apeks, Dive Rite, Zeagle, and more." At their shop I looked at an OMS wing, some Dive Rite stuff, some Zeagle... It was later back home I checked into Apeks.

Someone on the thread suggested I look at Hollis (which I don't think the LDS carries); online I saw mixed reviews. I'm learning toward trying to get a gear configuration package I can get at the LDS, by way of thanks for their time and help, and so they can help assemble & fit it. Despite my hopes to avoid a 'Franken-rig,' it's looking like that may happen.

What I (think) I want:

1.) AL BP, but black or some other dark color. No 'naked metal' look. OMS and Zeagle have black AL BP; it looks like Apeks only has the naked metal (or near it) look, no black, etc...

2.) Single-tank only wing, with built-in stabilizers (the little rows up the back, hoping to avoid using a STA). OMS and Apeks wings apparently have them; I don't recall them on the Dive Rite wing, and nothing I can find outline indicates the Zeagle wing has them. Ideally I'd prefer something extra sturdy (on general principles; I don't do hazardous penetrations, etc...). Dive Rite has a SuperFabric option, and Apeks PSD (public safety diver) version is more durable and sheds water better. The one thing that bothers me about the OMS wing is I only see 1,000 denier, no option for something more armored looking. It may not matter, but as long as I'm mulling over options... OMS wings get criticized for short inflator hoses, but if I'm having it replaced with one to connect my old Air2 anyway, maybe not a problem.

3.) Deluxe hardness - shoulder pads and quick disconnect. I like a strap across the sternum. There are a number of options; the OMS looks a bit colorful.

4.) Weight pouches - leaning toward Dive Rite. OMS has some; at least online, for reasons I can't recall, I got the impression the Dive Rite appealed to me more.

5.) Dive Gear Express's website had an article suggesting my best odds of tank stability without a STA might be the fit of having a wing and BP from the same manufacturer. Unless I go OMS for both, that's probably not going to happen.

So I'm trying to decide whether to order an OMS black AL BP, OMS Deluxe Harness, OMS single tank wing, then add maybe Dive Rite weight pouches & a trim pouch for a tank camband in case trim would benefit from some weight put there,

or

Either an OMS or Zeagle black BP, Apeks single tank wing but the PSD version (maybe $70 or so uncharge, more with tax, but a more durable build that sheds water better), somebody's Deluxe Harness (OMS? Dive Rite? Zeagle?), then weight pouches as before.

All with a Dive Rite thigh pouch that straps on.

The shop won't have all these options at the store. One of tbone's posts mentioned the OMS Soft Stabilizing Adapter, which for close to $20 adds tank stabilizer function to a wing that lacks that feature, but that means two more screws in the rig, that in theory may work themselves loose, etc... Built-in would be preferable, but this product shows another way.

Richard.

1) hollis also sells black aluminum plates

Hollis Aluminum Back Plate, Black

2) apeks wings have slightly different slot spacing, you either need extra long slots on your plate or an apeks plate to play nice without a sta. the dgx plate was just a smidge off such that the upper band would be scrunched with the apeks d30. you could consider the soft travel plate which comes in a black color.

http://www.apeksdiving.com/us/products/bcds/product/ultralight-travel-plate.html

3) the DR deluxe harness with the shoulder release is pretty economical and you can add shoulder pads to it. but maybe consider getting the webbing and hardware for a one piece harness first for about 30 total from DGX then getting the deluxe harness if you still want to change back to it.

That Apeks soft travel plate you linked says "Requires the Deluxe One-Piece Webbed Harness." I wonder if that's true?

apeks wings have slightly different slot spacing, you either need extra long slots on your plate or an apeks plate to play nice without a sta. the dgx plate was just a smidge off such that the upper band would be scrunched with the apeks d30. you could consider the soft travel plate which comes in a black color.

Thanks, this sort of thing is what I hoped you guys would pick up that I'd have no clue about. I wonder whether a Zeagle or OMS AL backplate has these 'extra long slots' you speak of?

Richard.

Not a valuable comment to your search @drrich2, however, I may be in a similar situation to you soon... I can't wait to see your review (if they're anything like your travel reviews) of what you go with!!

I'd only have the experience of the one; not sure I could add much of value to the knowledge base. I hope this thread helps others understand their options, too. A big fork in the decision tree is whether a person wants a stainless steel BP or not, whether for aesthetic reasons (me) or travel weight concerns (some concern). It's easier to find a one stop shop for wing/webbing/harness if you want SS. If you don't, want you want a colored hard BP, and you want the wing to have built-in stabilizers, and would prefer an up gunned 'armored' wing for theoretical extra durability...welcome to my world!

If the LDS had Hollis, I'd been keen to take a look at it for comparison.

There are a number of ways that'd work; it's just not 'Scuba Boardly' not to analyze the decision to death.

Richard.

That Apeks soft travel plate you linked says "Requires the Deluxe One-Piece Webbed Harness." I wonder if that's true?

Thanks, this sort of thing is what I hoped you guys would pick up that I'd have no clue about. I wonder whether a Zeagle or OMS AL backplate has these 'extra long slots' you speak of?

Richard.

I can check when I get home about the oms since i own one of their AL plates.

regular webbing works fine on the apeks plate.

For sturdiness, I can confirm that the dive rite travel exp wing is impossible to punch through. My wife uses it with the transpac softplate.

As far as integrated STA are concerned, I know that there are hobby plates like this
Stainless Steel Single-tank SCUBA Backplate
, but I have not found it on commercial plates, except for this one
https://www.dirdirect.com/images/D/specarb02.jpg
but these plates with integrated STA may very well risk introducing more compatibility issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom