Who is LexisNexis and why is my car insurance going up so much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PLEASE! Get quotes from other insurers!!!
I shall tell you my story;
I had Liberty insurance based on a “better price than the insurers AAA” was agent for, (AAA is not the insurers, just agent for Commerce at the time).
Over time, Liberty just kept going up, but we thought it was due to 2 kids driving, three cars Massachusetts, good coverage. Once early on, we tried Geico, but they used a bait and switch, price went from $1200 to$2400 after we gave credit card so we cancelled and continued to get bled by Liberty until 2022, when the bill was increased to $9,000.
Hell no.
We gently told our daughter to get her own insurance, and we’d get our own.
Liberty quoted her $3,000, State Farm was $1200 in Texas.
Back in Mass, Liberty quoted us 3 people, 2 cars, $7k without the daughter or her car. But Amica was $2,000.
FIVE thousand dollar difference for same coverage, line by line!!!
Also Vets can get even better insurance that non vets can, so please, shop around, to keep insurance companies from fleecing people!
My daughter the new driver:
6EC9DB1D-D600-4B99-8259-8D1BE22ED53E.jpeg

My recommendation is to find a local independent agent and let them price everything for you. They will shop around different carriers for you. At the moment, my house, vehicles, and one boat are all with the same company, but that varies year to year. They shop around every renewal and get me the best rates they can find.

I just had my 2016 Rav 4 totaled when a woman ran a stop sign. I was paying 1066 a year for full coverage with higher than state minimum coverage. I moved into a 2021 Subaru Crosstrek with the same coverage plus GAP insurance. My yearly rate dropped to 569.

Auto rates went up pretty much everywhere over the last year - inflation is killing the insurance companies, as is the scarcity of parts for repairs. It's much more expensive to fix damaged autos than it was 18 months ago, and they're all increasing rates to make up for it.
I can understand that, and AAA said that they went up 10% statewide, but why did LN cost me another 15%? It could be the age 75 thing, but if so, they could say so.
Liberty quoted her $3,000, State Farm was $1200 in Texas.
Back in Mass, Liberty quoted us 3 people, 2 cars, $7k without the daughter or her car. But Amica was $2,000.
FIVE thousand dollar difference for same coverage, line by line!!!
Right, good that you did your research. Did you check your state insurance department rates?
My recommendation is to find a local independent agent and let them price everything for you. They will shop around different carriers for you. At the moment, my house, vehicles, and one boat are all with the same company, but that varies year to year. They shop around every renewal and get me the best rates they can find.
Oh, I'm small potatoes for those. All the casualty insurance I use is Liability on my car and a couple of houses. I do agree for my daughter's business as they have several cars, most newer with Collision, and a more expensive house.
I just had my 2016 Rav 4 totaled when a woman ran a stop sign. I was paying 1066 a year for full coverage with higher than state minimum coverage.
OMG! That's why I am happy with my old Impala. I'd hate to have to replace it now tho. I'd hate to change models and really hate to drive any car not colored red. When I do look around, the pickins' are slim and pricey.
I moved into a 2021 Subaru Crosstrek with the same coverage plus GAP insurance. My yearly rate dropped to 569.
Wow, how did that work?

Funny story about my houses: The one I'm in is in town so has choices of carriers altho we pay more with a volunteer fire department, the rental is on a farm so has only two companies that will touch it, and they both suffered hail storm roof damage last year. Roofing companies were all over the area looking for business, but the first guy gave me such great bids that I just went with him. My in-town house got a roof upgrade as that was built into the policy, the farmhouse hadn't had a new roof for decades I guess - at least long before I acquired it ten years ago, they both had significant deductibles for storm damages, but the roofing company has their own games like discounts for a sign in my yard, etc. They did a great job on both houses, fixed roofs on out houses not covered, and I made several thousand in profit. What a game...!!

Wow, how did that work?
Don, the way it was explained to me is that there were several factors in play.
1 My driving record. No tickets or at fault claims in the last 10 yrs or so.
2 The Subaru is one of the safest cars on the market with all the features it has.
Air bags front, side, and knee. Roll bars built in. Front crash detection and pedestrian sensing system, and lane drift warning that really works.
3 I have my car and renters insurance bundled
4 Been with the same insurance company for over 10 yrs.
5 The Rav was 7yrs old so getting more expensive to fix.
6 No lien on the car. With the insurance check and a bit from savings I paid cash for the Subaru

Well, I used the Texas Department of Insurance HelpInsue.com site to check rates and tried following thru with the five lowest rates but none of those companies actually quote rates anything similar to those listed at the state site. All were twice as high or more. I called the insurance department about their worthless site but they had no explanation. I'm left not knowing what my problem is until I get a report from LN. Maybe they have me listed as a terrorist or something?

Well, I received a multi-page mail from this Big Brother site saying that they could not confirm my identity so they were not honoring my request to see my file. Funny that they can be such know-it-alls but not confirm that I am me. I froze my file for now for self-protection as I have done with all the credit bureaus, and I have filed another request.

This is what we used to do (minus the boat!). It was awesome until the owner of the company handed the baton over to his kid... my insurance rate tripled for everything without any claims. The kicker is they never even called us.. just automatically BOOM.. out of my account. We switched but I was only able to get back like an 80% refund what came out.

Difference between new company and old company for the same coverage is $4500! What?

This is what we used to do (minus the boat!). It was awesome until the owner of the company handed the baton over to his kid... my insurance rate tripled for everything without any claims. The kicker is they never even called us.. just automatically BOOM.. out of my account. We switched but I was only able to get back like an 80% refund what came out.

Difference between new company and old company for the same coverage is $4500! What?
Yep, I was with the same agency for a decade and they handled everything. When I bought the new van in December, they couldn't add it to auto policy as it is a commercial vehicle. According to them, they had no way to write a policy on a commercial vehicle. I still don't get it. I found a different local agency and dumped everything in his lap. He was able to cover the house, boats, atvs, camper, trailers, trucks, car, liability umbrella and everything on one policy for basically the same money. I'm not sure what was going on with the other company and my new van, but they lost all of our lines because of it.

Yep, I was with the same agency for a decade and they handled everything. When I bought the new van in December, they couldn't add it to auto policy as it is a commercial vehicle. According to them, they had no way to write a policy on a commercial vehicle. I still don't get it. I found a different local agency and dumped everything in his lap. He was able to cover the house, boats, atvs, camper, trailers, trucks, car, liability umbrella and everything on one policy for basically the same money. I'm not sure what was going on with the other company and my new van, but they lost all of our lines because of it.
Oh man, almost the same situation although a good bit smaller scale. We tried to add a 5th car and a camper and that jacked our rates up $4000 / year?? We went with someone else, (although direct not through a broker because time was short) and got everything under one policy and saved $500 / year compared to our old policy... crazy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom