Who doesnt like Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What areas did you visit were there was not much rudness?

Where I live, Deerfield Beach, there is a large snow bird and vacationer population. And old people are not really rude, just old, slow and oblivious which drives us young whipper snappers bonkers...

I have on occasion been known to stop people who have tried to pass me while in our little circle while doing the speed limit or slowing for speed bumps. Generally I lean out the window of my car give them the "knifehand" and educate them on what a speedlimit is and that it is not allowed to pass someone within our circle. They generally don't attempt it again...

Guess i am that guy in my neighborhood, I also wait until the last mi use to bring in my trashcans and put them out early.

What areas did you visit were there was not much rudness?

Where I live, Deerfield Beach, there is a large snow bird and vacationer population. And old people are not really rude, just old, slow and oblivious which drives us young whipper snappers bonkers...

I have on occasion been known to stop people who have tried to pass me while in our little circle while doing the speed limit or slowing for speed bumps. Generally I lean out the window of my car give them the "knifehand" and educate them on what a speedlimit is and that it is not allowed to pass someone within our circle. They generally don't attempt it again...

Guess i am that guy in my neighborhood, I also wait until the last mi use to bring in my trashcans and put them out early.

There is always some rudeness everywhere in the world. I have never noticed any unusual amount in Florida.

As an old snowbird who spends a lot of time in Deerfield Beach, I am not familiar with the circle of which you speak, and no one has ever done that to me, so I guess we have never met there. (I also have to admit I did not fully understand your description.)

As I suggested earlier, I think there is a driving problem that leads to rudeness on the highways, partially because of a lot of elderly drivers, partially because of the congestion (look at the intersection of Hillsboro Blvd. and A1A in the afternoon), partially because of the drawbridges, but mostly because of the insane traffic light scheduling. I assume anyone who has ever lived everyone else must have noticed this. When a light on a main road goes red, it stays red for an incredibly long time. You watch the side traffic cross the street, first with lots of cars, then fewer, then fewer, then almost nothing for the last 30-40 seconds. The traffic going your way builds and builds and builds while virtually no one is crossing the intersection from any direction. When you see a light about to turn red and realize you only have about a half tank of gas and thus are a real threat to run out while waiting for the light to change, the temptation to run the light is huge, and many people do run the lights. Everywhere else I have ever been, the lights cycle much more frequently, with the result that traffic is always going, with few times in which a large pile of cars are sitting idling at an intersection while nothing is happening. If you miss the light, it's no big deal, because you won't have to worry about missing your grandchild's graduation next year because of it.

Knifehand: http://m.theatlantic.com/past/docs/images/issues/200706/army1.jpg

---------- Post added October 25th, 2013 at 02:08 PM ----------

A1a is a disaster, but that bloody light at Hillsboro is the worst. Especially if the bridge is up, folks still try and turn off a1a onto Hillsboro blocking the entire intersection and gridlocking the road back through the "town". Don't get me started on the gobs of people who flock across the road randomly, yes you are a pedestrian, yes I will hit you now walk 10ft and get into a crosswalk.

Maybe not rude, maybe selfish is a better term...

---------- Post added October 25th, 2013 at 02:12 PM ----------

Throw in some car carriers and moving trucks you aren't going anywhere fast...

Speaking specifically of S. Florida, the population seems to double from now to Easter. Throw in the mix the New York state of mind, Caribbean/no rules on the road, the retirees, and the rest of us, makes for a perfect mix of some pretty interesting driving.
Good news for us, go inland 5 miles and it's not as congested. I live 8 miles inland and we only see about 10% of the winter influx.

btw... i've noticed the old people drive their shopping carts like they do their cars -- they don't give a d* and if you're in their way - BLAM -- hope you have insurance!!! and they keep going..

speaking of new york state of mind Jenny --- people -- crossing the street outside of a crosswalk is illegal and dangerous! and those that are doing it aren't trying to run across - they STROLL across :(

the only good thing about the snowbirds in my opinion is they help keep me in a job by all their drinking :)

the only good thing about the snowbirds in my opinion is they help keep me in a job by all their drinking :)
Hwy--you're talking about me, now.

Florida would be so much better if the people I didn't like, left. Or started going to Arizona to winter...

Forget it! We are going to send them to FL!!!! They're already here.....an it's not even the holidays. GO HOME SNOWBIRDS!

Forget it! We are going to send them to FL!!!! They're already here.....an it's not even the holidays. GO HOME SNOWBIRDS!

Car carriers started showing up here the last couple weeks...

I get why they like fl so much, but they need to go bother someone else. Except boulderjohn, he can stay, I guess...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom