Info Florida Trip from Miami to Key West - January 2025

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please keep them coming.
For members who already responded. Thank you very much for your inside and feedback.
I’m taking notes …\
Still gathering notes from all your replies

IMG_6994.jpeg
IMG_6993.jpeg

recommendations on Local Dive Shops between Marathon and Pine Key?

recommendations on Local Dive Shops between Marathon and Pine Key?
For "Just diving", you'll do fine with Captain Hooks.

Pura Vida and Dixie are well north of Miami.

I'd say you have 4 to 5 decent "areas" to stay and dive. Our personal preferences:

KW: we usually stay at The Marker (sometimes they have a decent sale!), dive with Captain's Corner or Lost Reef Adventures, both short walk away. Vandenberg and Cayman wrecks, reefs are not worth the time. If you're lucky you can get a crazy great trip to Marquesas Keys, awesome one. Eat at Half Shell Raw Bar and Azur Restaurant. KW is nuts when it comes to parking, try to avoid it.

Looe Key: We never actually stayed there, so no advice on that. Dive with Captain Hook's, probably the only decent op there (out of Big Pine Key). Adolphus Busch wreck (if you're lucky) and very shallow reefs (less than 30' or so). IMHO not worth it if A. Busch or Thunderbolt not available. I'd rather stay in Islamorada and maybe drive down for a half day trip if that.

Islamorada: we stay at Breezy Palms, Sands of Islamorada or La Jolla. Dive with Key Dives, Sea Monkeys and Conch Republic. Very nice reefs, Eagle wreck. Eat at Robbie's (Tarpoon), Habanos on the Creek, Lazy Days, drinks at Lorelei.

Key Largo: stay at The Pelican Key Largo, Amoray. We dive with Horizon or Amoray (discounts if staying there), Rainbow Reef is a hit or miss. Reasonably decent reefs (mostly shallow), Spiegel Grove wreck (and Duane ofc). Eat at Snappers, Pilot House, Sharkey's, Blackwater Siren or The Buzzard's Roost.

Miami: Diver's Paradise 3-tank wreck trip on Sundays is the only thing I'd consider.

I'd do 2-3 days in KW, a week in and around Islamorada and 3 days or so around Boynton Beach if you're actually considering Pura Vida and Dixie. Dixie caters mostly to locals, I would think Starfish out of BB or Aqualife out of PB

One of my favorite thigs to eat in the Keys are Cuban Sandwiches. It can be fun sampling different ones from different locations. I have found that many Keys restaurants that tend to serve similar menus of blackened/fried/grilled fish and other fried things can be fine but tend towards overpriced and not the most interesting food. Not bad, just not great. Good Cuban Sandwiches are not something you can find just anywhere, but you can find grilled fish and deep fried shrimp anywhere.

Some Cuban sandwich places I can recommend are:
Fernandez's The Bull (Key Largo)
Habanos on the Creek (next to Conch Republic)
Cafelito (Key West)

If you like hamburgers, M.E.A.T in Islamorada is quite fantastic.

Pura Vida and Dixie are well north of Miami.

I'd say you have 4 to 5 decent "areas" to stay and dive. Our personal preferences:

KW: we usually stay at The Marker (sometimes they have a decent sale!), dive with Captain's Corner or Lost Reef Adventures, both short walk away. Vandenberg and Cayman wrecks, reefs are not worth the time. If you're lucky you can get a crazy great trip to Marquesas Keys, awesome one. Eat at Half Shell Raw Bar and Azur Restaurant. KW is nuts when it comes to parking, try to avoid it.

Looe Key: We never actually stayed there, so no advice on that. Dive with Captain Hook's, probably the only decent op there (out of Big Pine Key). Adolphus Busch wreck (if you're lucky) and very shallow reefs (less than 30' or so). IMHO not worth it if A. Busch or Thunderbolt not available. I'd rather stay in Islamorada and maybe drive down for a half day trip if that.

Islamorada: we stay at Breezy Palms, Sands of Islamorada or La Jolla. Dive with Key Dives, Sea Monkeys and Conch Republic. Very nice reefs, Eagle wreck. Eat at Robbie's (Tarpoon), Habanos on the Creek, Lazy Days, drinks at Lorelei.

Key Largo: stay at The Pelican Key Largo, Amoray. We dive with Horizon or Amoray (discounts if staying there), Rainbow Reef is a hit or miss. Reasonably decent reefs (mostly shallow), Spiegel Grove wreck (and Duane ofc). Eat at Snappers, Pilot House, Sharkey's, Blackwater Siren or The Buzzard's Roost.

Miami: Diver's Paradise 3-tank wreck trip on Sundays is the only thing I'd consider.

I'd do 2-3 days in KW, a week in and around Islamorada and 3 days or so around Boynton Beach if you're actually considering Pura Vida and Dixie. Dixie caters mostly to locals, I would think Starfish out of BB or Aqualife out of PB
awesome feedback, thank you @FreqFlier

One of my favorite thigs to eat in the Keys are Cuban Sandwiches. It can be fun sampling different ones from different locations. I have found that many Keys restaurants that tend to serve similar menus of blackened/fried/grilled fish and other fried things can be fine but tend towards overpriced and not the most interesting food. Not bad, just not great. Good Cuban Sandwiches are not something you can find just anywhere, but you can find grilled fish and deep fried shrimp anywhere.

Some Cuban sandwich places I can recommend are:
Fernandez's The Bull (Key Largo)
Habanos on the Creek (next to Conch Republic)
Cafelito (Key West)

If you like hamburgers, M.E.A.T in Islamorada is quite fantastic.
we do like burgers, will definitely look into M.E.A.T., and the Cuban sandwich places you suggest

There are some good suggestions all around on this thread. You can take a look at my blog post here:

which summarizes diving in the area, including popular dives and dive operators.
excellente !! how come when I did a search in SB, I didn't come across this post?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom