Who doesnt like Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lived in Florida in my early youth and my grandparents and parents had homes there dating back to the mid 60s so I spent a bit of time in the state. While I have enjoyed the diving on the southeastern coast and in the Keys, I am not particularly fond of Florida itself. Intense lightning storms scare the heck out of me (I had lightning strike very close to me twice as a youth and don't want a "third strike"). The heat and humidity is no fun. The insects are another PITA. But the worst thing is that many Floridian divers seem to think the water there gets too cold to dive in winter!!!! They should try diving here (I've hit 46 F in a wetsuit during winter in the waters off Catalina).

I did my time in SoCal and Puget Sound, and yes I have dove wetsuit in 40-something water. Been there, done that, thankfully still have my delicate bits. Fun times, but I'm happy to be back in South Florida. Come January and February I'll have to do seagrass survey work in Biscayne Bay and Jupiter Inlet, so that'll be my cold-water treatment. That, and checking for lemon sharks off West Palm and Jupiter for jollies.

See, Yellow between Red and Green(we have that in Germany) would help ... At least a remote chance, that the IPhone Zombies, senior citizens and so on get the memo:wink: My solution, back in my NYC days, not so long ago?? Someone blows the horn behind me, I'm staying put, foot on the brake ... I've made people back up and pull by me, simultaneously flipping the bird and blowing them a kiss, as they go past ... Surprisingly, some of them actually get upset ...

That can get you shot down here.:wink:

well for me an F-250 doesn't start & stop on a dime in the 1st place and i usually take my time accelerating up - easier on fuel economy that way.

Haulover beach is a plus when it's not over-run by snowbirds!!!

well for me an F-250 doesn't start & stop on a dime in the 1st place and i usually take my time accelerating up - easier on fuel economy that way.

Haulover beach is a plus when it's not over-run by snowbirds!!!

I agree about Haulover's "special" beach, and if they are cute snowbirds....well I'm ok with that too! Love the volleyball area.

... but be careful about falling asleep there... I had a bad experience once.

I was awakened by some Marine Lab students trying to rescue me by putting me back in the water.

They seemed like nice kids, so I stayed just past the surf until took their stretcher and went home.

Last edited:
What kind of sharks are common in Jupiter

I'm pretty new to the area so am not an expert. But we often see the Caribbean Reef Shark & Nurse Sharks in Jupiter, have heard Lemons, Bulls, etc are also common there. Have seen Bulls, Sandbars, Reefs, Nurses, some I don't know, and a massive Hammerhead just a little farther south.

Largest shark I've seen here to date was the massive ~15 ft hammerhead (which came right up to us)

I don't seek them out, these are just random sightings on recreational dives.

Last edited:
I have seen lemons and nurse sharks. Very huge turtles too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom