White's Fusion vs. DUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem with putting on the Fusion is that it goes on just like pantyhose, and you guys haven't had enough experience doing that . . . :)

It's pretty simple. Arrange suit in front of you. Reach into it and locate the crotch seam, and pull it up toward you. Now you can see the openings for the two legs. You can now even reach into a leg and pull some of THAT material up toward you, if you want, although I rarely find I have to do that. Insert foot and pull material up toward you until your foot is largely in the sock. Now grab ankle and pull a little bit (right near the Velcro, so you aren't just stretching the skin) until foot is well settled in sock.

Repeat with other leg.

Stand up, and pull crotch up into position. Put suspenders on. Now start at your knees with the skin, pulling it up until it's fairly well stretched. You'll have a big roll of Lycra below your butt -- grab this and pull it up to your waist. Now you can put your arms in the sleeves (using the same technique of pulling the bag on, then stretching the skin. Head into seal and zip and go!

If you hold the zipper opening of the suit and try to shove your legs in, you WILL get frustrated.

I pretty much use the method that TSandM describes (no I'm not a regular - or even occasional - pantyhose wearer!!) and I'm usually in the thing in less than a minute or two. It sometimes takes me longer to get my viking dry gloves on than the suit itself - gotta adjust the wrist rings one of these days!

Getting out is MUCH easier for me now that I've started by sitting down and pulling the legs off by grabbing the toe material to get my feet and ankles out first. If you try and take them off like pants you'll be as frustrated as trying to hold onto the zipper opening and trying to shove your legs in to get it on! You won't be able to get your foot back out the narrowish ankle opening easily.

I have a few dives in a DUI TLS and own an OSSystems SARR Drysuit. Because of my size - 5' 10", 320 lbs with a 56" waist, I couldn't fit into the TLS for my height, and ended up using one for someone 6' 6". Needless to say, I looked like a Sharpea Dog with all the excess material in my legs, etc. For the DUI to fit me properly, I was told that I would have to go custom. Ditto for the OSSystems SARR I now use. At DEMA, I got to try on a STOCK 4X Fusion, and with the exception of the seals needing to be trimmed, the suit fit me fine. I had full mobility! This is the 1st suit that has ever fit me in stock size, and unless something even more radical comes out, will be my next drysuit.

Yeah, that's the thing about the Fusion -- I have, so far, seen ONE person who looked good in it. But with my stringy hair and snotty nose after diving, the suit is a minor issue :)

I've checked really close...and I've got to say that I look really great in mine. Yes! I most certainly do. :eyebrow:

I will put in my 2 cents. I owned 2 DUI CLX-450 drysuits, loved it and left it because cordura felt to stiff on my slender frame, it was a bit restrictive and I felt like a butterfly in an armour though my suit drew envious and admiring glances. I lost a lot of money selling my DUI anf getting Fusion instead through Mike from Diver Right in Scuba. Since I never looked back - I totally love my Fusion and wheatever people think or say about my looking strange - it is me who is streamlined and flexible and mobile and laughing of sheer pleasure underwater. It really feels like a wetsuit if not better. I took a few good beatings onshore but the lycra is still like new. Once I landed on my knees on small hardy seaurchins and their needles punched tiny holes in my Fusion - I thanked all Gods that Mike had sent me a repair kit - it was a breeze to repair and many divel later I still wonder why I had not gotten Fusion earlier, say two years ago. Now I also discovered that there are knee pads available and i ordered them, so no kmore fear of those nasty urchins. They are the only ones that scared me because I went through all barnacles and all kinds of rugged entries and exits and my Fusion is invincible. Just love it.
Also washing, drying and folding is easy unlike with DUI CLX. Weigh is non-existent, which is great for trips. Getting in and out is also a breeze. While excess internal space is am important issue with DUI I have no such problem with my Fusion because all unnessesary air is gently expelled by lycra skin.
I still consume the same amount of air as with DUI and require the same amount of weight, which is a bit puzzling but this is probably because I use the same DUI Polartech.
Overall, I would buy Fusion again and recommend it to people who require the best and are prepared to be unconventional.

For those that wear a backplate with heavy doubles......does the zipper ever cause discomfort being that it's under the harness? With my TLS350 sometimes the zipper will get caught under the harness on the top left, and I have to adjust it or get in the water quick or else it can be pretty uncomfortable to have that zipper underneath the harness when wearing doubles.

I have no discomfort from the zipper when wearing doubles.

The part of the shoulder that actually has the weight on it, has no zipper under the BP straps.

All the best, James

Man all this talk about the Fusion feeling so streamline, makes me wish I would've gone down to Break Water in Monterey, CA when Whites was have demo days...

I mean I do remember the streamline of my wetsuit and next to zero drag compared to my DUI CLX 450... But I will not forget the cold, so that makes me want to try a Power Ranger suit to feel the warmth...

Yes cleaning the DUI CLX 450 is a beast in weight and I get a work out completing that. But the only thing I can say is the overwhelming feeling of protection when I get fully geared up and enter Monterey from boat or shore...

I feel like I am an astronaut entering the Undiscovered oceans, yeah sounds korny right? As odd as that sounds I feel fully protected and boy do I stay dry and warm, yes I am slow but I gave that up when going dry...

Sounds like I can become converted over to the Fusion side of the force... Now would that be the darkside or Jedi side?

MG

I will say this......

I have been contemplating a new drysuit for over a year now. That goes back to the early days when fdog posted his first reviews. Last June I dove a Fusion at a local Whites demo day and enjoyed the suit even though mine was a leaker (not at a seal). I have been concerned right along about the robustness of this trash bag and dance tights concept while I patiently observed. One by one board members who are both respected and who are active divers in similar conditions have been putting the suit through it's paces with consistent praise. That's enough to keep this thing in the front of my mind until I decide to pull the trigger.

The only recurring concern I see is the means of donning. There are plenty of divers out there that don't know how to get into a wetsuit without pain and suffering so I take that with a grain of salt. besides I have already donned, dove and doffed one and it's a piece of cake.

Pete

Last edited:
You can't beat the Fusion for ease of movement, ease of dressing, form-fitting streamlining, quick drying & lightness of weight. And, with the new techskin, there are no durability issues.

In our area? Come out and test dive one at our Dueling Drysuit demo's, and you'll be convinced!

Back
Top Bottom