Which wrist mount depth gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only need it for safety stops (1/2 max, 20', and 15') and back-up (the back-up I carry is too fat for my wrist) so the sensitivity at depth wouldn't bug me as much as having the least bit of dfficulty reading the thing would. I already have a computer like that. One thing I can't read is more than enough. So...........you saved me fifteen bucks! Thanks. Now , can you recomend a Low profile analog gauge. Thanks again.

dave

evad once bubbled...
ou saved me fifteen bucks! Thanks. Now , can you recomend a Low profile analog gauge. Thanks again.

Hey, I thought this was my thread! :)

So I bought my regulators today. Z1 first and seconds (blue cover) and a Z1 octopus(nice bright yellow). I wanted to use a standalone brass SPG on a short hose but all my LDS had were consoles with cheapo plastic ones in them.... So he is ordering me one from Dive Right and until it comes in he is letting me borrow a small console with SPG, depth gauge and compas. So the good news is that for my dive this sunday I have a depth gauge, but I still need to decide on which one to buy since I will have to give this one back shortly.....

Unfortunatly I ended up spending about double my origional scuba budget today... Maybe I will try one of those cheap capillary gauges after all :)

I would just like to add that I love my LDS. Well I like the owner atleast(his two employees really pissed me off, but I wont go into that). Not only did he cut me some great deals on gear(since I am a member of a local scuba club that he is involved with) but he gave me some great rental prices on gear that isn't even noramlly rental gear since I wanted to try it out, not to mention the free loaner console until my SPG comes in.

~Jess

Sorry but since you're not going to be using a console,
you might also be interested in a less bulky depth gauge for your wrist. The capillary gauge is thin, but it might be a pain to read.They're $15.00 At "Joe Diver America."

I just reread your original post and that's too much for an analog depth gauge. Leisure pro has several with wrist boots for under $60.00. So do local dive stores. If you find just the module, you can make a better strap with a zip-tie and bungies (see DIY).

evad once bubbled...
Sorry but since you're not going to be using a console,
you might also be interested in a less bulky depth gauge for your wrist.
No reason to be sorry, I wasn't seriously mad or anything, just being stupid :)

I would also love to find a less bulky wrist mount depth gauge at a decent price, but it seems the capillary gauges may be the only option in this area... I am thinking that I may try out a capillary gauge and see how I like it. If that doesn't work out then I guess I will take another shot at trying to find one around here for less than $60, or order one online. I totally agree that the prices I have seen for them around here are way too much.

I have had a really hard time finding anyone that wants to sell me anything wrist mount around here. I actually had a salesman who was trying to push me into buying a computer (their cheapest was $350) tell me that he was afraid I was going to go diving without gauges if I didn't buy a console from him, this was right after another salesman at the store laughed at me for not wanting to use a console.....

On another note I dived my new Z1 regs today, worked great. I also loved the wings that the LDS loaned me. I didn't like the tranpack as much and thing I want to go with a standard bp/wings setup whe I can aford it. Until then I will have to live with the knowledge that the rented jacket style BP's arent for me :-(

I didn't have as good of luck with the wetsuit I rented and was thinking about buying. The shop didn't have a wetsuit for rent in my size so he rented me a new parkway scuba instead and offered to sell it to me for a really good price. We settled on me paying the difference when I went to return m gear if I wanted to buy it. He offered me what seems to be a great deal on it, but after 2 dives I can already tell that this thing was not made to last. After just two dives some of the seams have started to look frayed, and I really don't think that is a very good sign.... everyone that I was with seemed to agree that I should just wait until I can afford a Henderson.... It is a tough decision though, since I am going to have to keep renting if I don't buy it, but ultimatly I think it will be better that way, who knows how many dives this suit would even last for....

back to the topic of gauges. I bought a new watch yesterday and used it on my dive today. It is a Timex iromnman Shock. It looks to be the Timex version of the G-Shock, but at $35 was a good amount cheaper. It is rated to 200m, I only went down to 60ft but it didn't leak so I am happy so far. It has both a stop watch and a countdown timer, I think you can even have both running at once. It also has indiglo so it seems to provide all I need in terms of a bottom timer.

~Jess

Use your spg as stand alone, clipped to your left waist D ring. On your right wrist/forearm should be your bottom timer/depth gauge, and on your left arm, your compass. A Uwatec BT works very well and is preferred for more advanced diving. I plan all my dives and know exactly how much bottom time I have at all times and do not rely on a computer to do calculations, and for that matter to plan my dives for me.

If you feel guilty about not diving with a console, you can take some string and attach a dangling brick to yourself .....or, if you don't like the brick-and-string, you can take the brick to the dive store salesmen.

evad once bubbled...
If you feel guilty about not diving with a console, you can take some string and attach a dangling brick to yourself .....or, if you don't like the brick-and-string, you can take the brick to the dive store salesmen.
Sounds like a plan to me!

I really haven't done that much diving but in the little I have done I can tell that I just really don't like consoles. Currently the only thing on my wrist is my watch which I use as a dive timer, but it is so much more convenient to look at than the loaned console I am currently using.

I have decided on a new strategy to get a wrist mount depth gauge locally. I am going to try and find a dive shop with a console they are willing to take apart and put the depth gauge in a wrist boot :)

I take that back, I am probably just going to order this Genesis 200 ft. Wrist Depth Gauge: http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...ctDisplay?prrfnbr=3717&prmenbr=946&cmpid=frog
Anyone have anything to say about it?

I was looking at a Suunto analog gauge with boot at DiveInn that looks low profile, but I can't tell how low profile because of the photo. It looks like it has a contiuous nylon band which should be a lot more durable than rubber and great attachment points for bungies. Has max depth, luminous face, and altitude adjustment.
Looks pretty good for $45.00. Its model SM16. If you clip your pressure gauge to you left chest, you can just look down at it without touching it (shorter hose makes it stick out a little more). In any case, you seem to know what you want. You'll love not having the dangly brick thing.

P.S. I have a parkway wetsuit and its getting pretty fuzzy. The neck has a tear. I haven't had it very long.

wow, I really like the look of the Suunto SM-16. I wasn't looking forward to the really bulky wrist boot. But unfortunately they are only selling it in metric... so I need to find a cheap US supplier. One of my LDSs carries Suunto so I guess I need to go see what they have to say. I am turning into a real LDS whore... I am now frequenting 3 different shops :)

I found a few more options, Sherwood Depth Gauge($78): https://secure5.nexternal.com/share...2=398673653&Target=products.asp&ProductID=458

The Dive Rite depth gauge(RG2791) MSRP's for $60.90, just needs a wrist boot, and I could probably get it cheaper.

I think I need to find me one of those Suuntos...... I am very indecisive :)

~Jess

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom